Notebook recommendation.

sleeper

Jun 23, 2004
Melbourne
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this so pls move thus thread if it's inappropriate.

I'm looking for a notebook with these minimum specs:
2nd gen i7
4-8gb ram
500gb hdd. Pref 7200 rpm.
Nvidia 5xx gpu 1gb
14-15" screen
USB 3.0

Budget $2000

I've done some homework and narrowed down my search to these few.

Lenovo Y570 ~$1399
Samsung RF411 or RF511 ~$1299/1699
ASUS N53 (only model I seen at this price point with a full HD screen which I really like.) ~$1898

Please give me your thoughts on these models. Currently I'm not so inclined to the lenovo cuz the build quality is terrible. Both screen and keyboard has too much flex for my liking.

The samsung apparently had great battery life, and the asus had the full hd screen. I like hi resolution screens cuz I can squeeze in more stuff. And reading documents is a lot easier when I can see a full page rather than half a page at a time.

Speaker sound quality isn't an issue as I'll be using headphones most of the time.

Most probably will be getting it at the upcoming comex exhibition.

Thanks

Well I have considered the MacBook but for the specs I wanted it's beyond my budget. Also it's not going to be for photo editing. More for all rounder usage. Documents, web browsing, gaming.

sleeper said:
Well I have considered the MacBook but for the specs I wanted it's beyond my budget. Also it's not going to be for photo editing. More for all rounder usage. Documents, web browsing, gaming.

I think u r in the wrong forums. U can post this in hardwarezone forums

Get the ASUS K43SV

CPU: 2nd gen i7-2630QM
RAM & HDD: 4Gb RAM (some offer free upgrade to 8Gb) & 640Gb HDD
VGA: Nvidia GT540 1Gb dedicated DDR3 VRAM
WLAN: intergrated 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth
Screen: 14" HD (1366x768) LED
ODD: DVD super multi dual layer
Others: Built in web cam + card reader

$1,198... probably the cheapest i7 notebook around...last weekend Harvey Norman expo, it was going for a lelong price of $999. Don't think you can get this price anymore though... Screen is full HD supported, I have an external monitor running 1920x1080 native with no issues. As a matter of fact - fantastic! Hope it helps. Good luck and happy shopping.

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this so pls move thus thread if it's inappropriate.

I'm looking for a notebook with these minimum specs:
2nd gen i7
4-8gb ram
500gb hdd. Pref 7200 rpm.
Nvidia 5xx gpu 1gb
14-15" screen
USB 3.0

Budget $2000

I've done some homework and narrowed down my search to these few.

Lenovo Y570 ~$1399
Samsung RF411 or RF511 ~$1299/1699
ASUS N53 (only model I seen at this price point with a full HD screen which I really like.) ~$1898

Please give me your thoughts on these models. Currently I'm not so inclined to the lenovo cuz the build quality is terrible. Both screen and keyboard has too much flex for my liking.

The samsung apparently had great battery life, and the asus had the full hd screen. I like hi resolution screens cuz I can squeeze in more stuff. And reading documents is a lot easier when I can see a full page rather than half a page at a time.

Speaker sound quality isn't an issue as I'll be using headphones most of the time.

Most probably will be getting it at the upcoming comex exhibition.

Thanks

Yeah i know about hardwarezone, but didn't want to start a new account there just to ask for advice, plus the community there seems rather, well, young.
Just asking here for opinions and hopefully from people who actually own one of these notebooks what they think of it.

Hi bro,

A budget of 2k can get u a fine machine. I say go with Asus. Are you going to bring it out often? If not get a desktop replacement with >15" inch screen :)

hi mod, i saw the k series, they look really good only lacking the USB 3 thingie... was really considering it also.

Tuckson: well i'll be carrying it around quite a bit. i originally wanted the samsung RF712, 17" with dual hard drive bays, wanted to chuck in a ssd boot drive in there for super speeds, alas the price and size turned me off. So the next best compromise are the 14-15" sizes. Actually considering samsung cuz their batt can supposedly last up to 6hrs, according to a few website reviews. Compared to about 3.5 on the asus.

Question is, should i go for a lower resolution screen and longer batt life, or better screen and carry around a charger.

Hi, I owe a MacBook pro 13 inch. All I can say is, for Mac you get lower spec as compare to windows machine but the performance is always better. I don't know. Back to the days when I am still using windows. It's always so fast when it's new. After few months of use it always start to show problem. Maybe I suay. For Mac you lose out in terms or gaming and some other software.