notebook for 3d appplications

Status
Not open for further replies.

jherek

Sep 7, 2002
east
Visit site
notebook for 3D applications
i am going to purchase a notebook for 3d applications such as autodesk, lightscape, viz and for photoshop.

i was going to order the dell 8600 inspiron with 1.6Ghz, 512 mb RAM with Nividia FX Go 5650 128mb vid card
this will set me back at 3800.

however they have a dedicated notebook for such 3d applications with the Nvidia Quadro Fx Go 700 128 MB vid card - Precision M60.

the basic unit for the m60 with 1.4 Ghz with 512 mb RAM is already 4500..and to bump it up to 1.6 GHz, it will cost approx 5000.

Can any kind soul pls advise me whether the quadro card is an overkill (eg i will not see an immediate difference in capabilities and the like.)

Or if i am going to get the m60 bcos of the quadro card will the 1.4Ghz negate the performance of the machine?
How big a difference will it be btw 1.4Ghz n 1.6 Ghz..

Do i even need a 128mb card (64mb?) and just focus on CPU and RAM(1Gig)?

i am really at a loss...all advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank u.

jherek said:
notebook for 3D applications
i am going to purchase a notebook for 3d applications such as autodesk, lightscape, viz and for photoshop.

i was going to order the dell 8600 inspiron with 1.6Ghz, 512 mb RAM with Nividia FX Go 5650 128mb vid card
this will set me back at 3800.

however they have a dedicated notebook for such 3d applications with the Nvidia Quadro Fx Go 700 128 MB vid card - Precision M60.

the basic unit for the m60 with 1.4 Ghz with 512 mb RAM is already 4500..and to bump it up to 1.6 GHz, it will cost approx 5000.

Can any kind soul pls advise me whether the quadro card is an overkill (eg i will not see an immediate difference in capabilities and the like.)

Or if i am going to get the m60 bcos of the quadro card will the 1.4Ghz negate the performance of the machine?
How big a difference will it be btw 1.4Ghz n 1.6 Ghz..

Do i even need a 128mb card (64mb?) and just focus on CPU and RAM(1Gig)?

i am really at a loss...all advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank u.
The ATI 9xxx series and the Quadro is a different class altogether.
The notebook is going to be used for 3D rendering not games.

The Quadro chipset is better suited for the task, despite the lower CPU speed of 1.4 vs 1.6

The CPU speed difference of 0.2Ghz is not a significiant difference.

Instead of bumping up the speed from 1.4 to 1.6, use the cash to up the RAM.

The M60 can go up to 2GB of RAM max.

3D applications are VERY memory intensive.

by the way, according to dell's website, adding another piece of 512Mb 333mhz DDR SDRAM costs $500+, maybe you can find out the RAM prices in SLS and see if it is cheaper to get from SLS instead.
DELL's RAM is usually more expensive.

SniperD said:
Hahahaha... BUY A MAC!

or how about going for something with the ATI 9xxx series GFX card in it... ??

A mac is bloody useless..!
it can't run auto desk,lightscape n viz..

mmm..the closest thing would be the Ibm T40P with only 14" screen..64mb ATI FireGL9000..

Winston said:
by the way, according to dell's website, adding another piece of 512Mb 333mhz DDR SDRAM costs $500+, maybe you can find out the RAM prices in SLS and see if it is cheaper to get from SLS instead.
DELL's RAM is usually more expensive.

btw..do u think it wold be cheaper to order the notebook with 256 mb RAM then buying RAM from other sources wld save me some money?
Sorry i havent done my research..

I bought additional 256MB at only $139, think now the price should be much cheaper IMHO.

Not very advisable to use a notebook for 3D applications unless you have got lotsa RAM and a big screen. You need the big screen because if you have lotsa vectors in wireframe, it tends to get very messy.

i need the mobility..
the dell notebooks i'm looking at offer 15.4' wide screens..which is one of the better sizes for viewing..
one up or two wld be 16" from vaio or 17" from mac n acer..and those are not the specs i wat...

Yes, you can buy additional RAM from SLS and plug it in.
This is what I did to my Dell Inspiron.

Just make sure that you purchase the correct DDR speed and your're ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.