Not Too Sad, Not Too Happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristiano007

Oct 24, 2008
OK I have read some of the critiques and like the honest syle of the people here. I just have a P&S (Canon SD1100) but using RAW with the CHDK hack and some Camera Raw and Photoshop corrections, to compensate the simple camera. Critique at will, I a grown up man ;). Oh, let me read the posting guidelines...

Ok, is a p&S, so I don't expect technical advice, just artistic things, but you know better... because I did some postprocessing.
My intent was to reflect the reaction of the girl after not winning a game, she loves to pose but hate to lose.
It was taken in an open parking lot building (intermediate level) in a very sunny day, near to the opening.
I like the photo because of the color constrast, the light and the richness of the reaction of the subject (is almost in tears but still managed to dominate the shot). That's it.

Last edited:
you have captured her at a top-down perspective. with the background as the floor. and she seems smaller than she is.

do you think that works? :)

it is a good pose, and it is an amusing expression.. with subtle comparison with her shirt and her face. but the perspective spoils it all.

you have captured her at a top-down perspective. with the background as the floor. and she seems smaller than she is.

it is a good pose, and it is an amusing expression.. with subtle comparison with her shirt and her face. but the perspective spoils it all.

top down is ok... well, it can be viewed as an adult looking at a kid...

the background circle seem interesting, dunno if its intentional or not.

but the contrast isn't enuff to bring the subject out. and the crop above her head is a no-no to me.

Thanks for taking the time to critique, night86mare. Yes, I prefer to bend my knees to photograph children, but in this case the background was so messy... (a parking lot):dunno:. Was totally unprepared, so the faces contrast was good luck ;). Thanks again.

Last edited:
top down is ok... well, it can be viewed as an adult looking at a kid...

the background circle seem interesting, dunno if its intentional or not.

but the contrast isn't enuff to bring the subject out. and the crop above her head is a no-no to me.

Nothing was intentional, was a pure candid :sweatsm:. It was a live crop, sadly, this is the whole file :embrass:. Happily, I can work in the contrast more, maybe dodge and burn ;), thanks for your time and advice, Del_CtrlnoAlt.

Hi Cristiano007,

This is a good shot.

The angle and colour contrast is good (ok, ok, I know you did some post-processing but still, the effect is there). What's interesting is the facial expression of the girl, which seems to me to be a mix of anger and amusement. And is there a bit of teasing there? The context of the picture is not there though. The background seems to be some kind of sports court but despite being a sports enthusiast, I cannot figure out what sport that is. If there is an object (such as a soccer ball etc) in the background to provide a visual cue, it will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.