Not so abstract, not so still life

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
water.jpg

Shot with D70 using PC-Micro Nikkor 85mm/2.8

great capture on the water drop itself...but i find the colours alittle messy...
anw...how you go so low for this shot?

seanlim said:
great capture on the water drop itself...but i find the colours alittle messy...
anw...how you go so low for this shot?
The droplets were dripped into a transparent cup filled almost to the brim. You can see the cup rim in the foreground. Ok, so I cheated, they are 2 separate shots in the same setup, still it take quite a number of pictures before I get such a nice splash. If I hadn't put the colours in, it will look very plain.

icic....the colours abit dull though(no offence)

colours work for me though. :thumbsup:

i like it but some cropping to take away the front brim of the cup would be better.

seanlim said:
icic....the colours abit dull though(no offence)
Oh yeah.. I felt the same way too.. I couldn't find something more vibrant for the background. If you noticed through the water droplet, it was just a colour chart printout in the background. :)

Nothing a little adjustment won't fix. ;)

splash.jpg

Nice shot leh... :thumbsup:
Like a volcanic eruption... :bsmilie:

wow, it looks awesome, a solid floating sphere of liquid, it seems so surreal. like those cities floating on islands in the sky.

pity the colours are in a mess. perhaps its subjective; i think the colours serve no purpose here because the form of the water is already very dynamic. i think it will be damn hard to get this result again. it's nearly symmetric, and i especially like the shattered miniature globes. so delicate and beautiful.

imho 1. duotone would be enough 2. larger dof would be much better, yeah altho itd be hard to juggle between large dof and fast shutter speed.

fantastic...

did you try it in b&w? you might be pleasantly surprised.

jfoo said:
A flash was used to freeze the water. If I don't remember wrongly, the lens was already stopped down quite a lot. I'll need to check the EXIF again.

jfoo said:
Then I would have used a plain background. The colours would turn out to be too distracting in a B&W shot. :)
Thanks for all the compliments.

lsisaxon said:
A flash was used to freeze the water. If I don't remember wrongly, the lens was already stopped down quite a lot. I'll need to check the EXIF again.

Then I would have used a plain background. The colours would turn out to be too distracting in a B&W shot. :)
Thanks for all the compliments.
Here is the EXIF information.
Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D70
Software - Ver.2.00
ExposureTime - 1/500 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
LightSource - Cloudy weather
Flash - Flash fired, auto mode, return light not detected
FocalLength - 85.00 mm
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 1504
ExifImageHeight - 1000
ExposureMode - Manual
WhiteBalance - Manual
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 127 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

:thumbsup:

It feels like an acid trip (not that i'd know...) But it's very psychadelic! I like this.

very nice splash and droplet. it seems to me that the water have layer of oil on top making the faint rainbow colors hehe. for background maybe can try something bright :thumbsup:

excellent capture - "messy" colours actually work for me :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ExplorerZ said:
very nice splash and droplet. it seems to me that the water have layer of oil on top making the faint rainbow colors hehe. for background maybe can try something bright :thumbsup:
The colours are from the cup. It was actually a transparent ice cream cup with some colourful designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.