Not obvious camera bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidFX

Aug 16, 2005
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are across-the-body sling type camera bags that doesn't look like camera bags at all? Reason is because I will be travelling overseas alone and I do not want others (especially muggers) to know that I have an expensive camera in the bag. Backpacks are out as they are relatively easy for pickpockets in crowded areas.

To make things easier, I am not carrying any additional lenses. Just need a bag that can hold a camera, some spare batteries, wallet, passport and stuff.

Thanks!

LiquidFX said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are across-the-body sling type camera bags that doesn't look like camera bags at all? Reason is because I will be travelling overseas alone and I do not want others (especially muggers) to know that I have an expensive camera in the bag. Backpacks are out as they are relatively easy for pickpockets in crowded areas.

To make things easier, I am not carrying any additional lenses. Just need a bag that can hold a camera, some spare batteries, wallet, passport and stuff.

Thanks!

u can try getting a domke (from CP at peninsular), safrotto or mekko (both available at TCW at peninsular hotel) canvas bags. once u remove the name tags, they are not dat much different from any canvas bags.

haha domke bag.. 1 look will know le.. it's too distinctive.. :)

unseen said:
haha domke bag.. 1 look will know le.. it's too distinctive.. :)

any camera bag of any brand will be obvious to any photographer or other thieves anywhere in the world. our fren here wants to minimise the exposure of the bag. thus, the best way (IMO) is to get one of those canvas bags and remove the name tags. at the very least, it removes the most obvious sign dat it is a camera bag from a distance.

LiquidFX said:
Hi,

Thanks!
Not recommended to put wallet, passport and cash in the bag. Passport, credit cards, cash etc are preferable put in money bag and belt to body. Cash can be slotted in shoes, belt etc.

how about a messenger bag?? it looks like a document bag, only bulkier- 2 acommodate an SLR. get a lesser known brand. not so heart pain wen ripping off d logo...:bsmilie:

i manage 2 fit-
. an SLR
. a wide angle zoom lense
. external flash
. a 500ml water bottle
. table tripod
in de main compartment.:bigeyes:

de $$ of such bag depends on d brand u r buying & where. it can range from $70-$250.

Billingham bags. Very low profile. Costly, but worth the money :)

sillyme said:
Billingham bags. Very low profile. Costly, but worth the money :)

I would agree with that.

LiquidFX....the nick looks so familiar...

Cheers,

crumpler? cos quite a number of crumpler sling bags are not camera bags.

Billingham? Not too discreet leh, unless it's the black or the olive green colour. Most photogs can recognize one from a distance...haha. What about a cheapo canvas bag and put the protective compartment inside? those from domke and billingham can be taken out and put in other bags...:lovegrin:

SAF backpacks :sweat: :bsmilie:

Ayah.. most photog can spot a cam bag in any guise. Anyway, unless you "bakzhang" your cam, you might be "targeted" the moment you take the cam out of your bag loh.

You juz need a bag (mabbe a normal school bag) that dosen't look too flashy/bright coloured/new.

Probably will be flame for suggesting this
The best is the shopping/plastic bag :blah:

Wow, thanks guys, you are fast.

I will explore your suggestions diligently. I tend towards crumpler messenger bags now as they look tough (un-snatchable) and waterproof. Bilingham bags look a bit too "classy" :)

Benny, yeah, I am the same LiquidFX from the other forum. Wynx intro me here. I think I should know loupgarou as well.

eow said:
Probably will be flame for suggesting this
The best is the shopping/plastic bag :blah:

LOL! I'll take your suggestion if you carry your camera and passport around in a NTUC shopping bag.

eh no bag is goin to help once ur cam is out. if u r gona keep it in the bag all the time, might as well dont bring it there :)

if the would be thief knows his domkes n billinghams, he will just steal the bag regardless of wats in the bag.

Dude

where r u goin to, in the first place? I don't tink so even if u'r out on ur own, people wud wanna grab ur bag. Give the people ard the world a chance will ya. Guess it's abt being careful. U can carry the most market like plastic bag but if u'r dress with gold chain n bars i'm sure u'r an ez target.

Btw how r u goin to shoot if ur camera is in the bag??

My suggestion is don't worry too much abt attracting attention. U'r on holiday i presume, so have fun, shoot as much as u can and as u wan. Most of the other stuff, like bein rob, kidnap, pickpocket leave it to fate. Why worry abt things that is out of ur control. Of course dont pull too much attn to yourself.

I use a bag to hold my camera and accessories.

I do not use a bag to hide my camera. Do not be under the illusion that snatch thieves are idiots. They know what you have.

The thing to do is to assume that thieves are out there. When in crowded places, sling the strap over your shoulder. Make sure you do not have things in your back pockets. If you have an overcoat or wind-cheater, make sure they are zipped up.

Hold your camera in front with your hand on it all the time. You are going to take pictures right? What is it doing in the bag?

And in today's digital technology, why do you need to have a bag anyway when you are out photographing. I keep the bag in the hotel. Keep one spare battery and CF card. (Actually I also carry one film camera with a few rolls of films in my pockets).

Free and easy!

I am going to London and a couple of places around there, probably Scotland and maybe France. Actually, I feel the main danger would not be at the destinations where you are doing the shooting as they are usually the touristy areas which are fairly crowded, but rather, the danger would be during the process of travelling in the subways, train, dark alleys etc.

Carrying an obvious camera bag around those areas will make you a fairly tempting target for muggers because a lone asian definitely looks out of place.

Travelling in the London underground and French metro will not be more dangerous than the Singapore MRT.

But one will be nuts to travel in such places at 12 midnight! Even without any cameras, I will hesistate to travel in such places at night, unless there are hordes of late night travellers. When travelling, why would you go to dark places?

Use common sense.

There are places when muggers will be around. In such places, such as the dark alleys (would you dare to walk in dark alleys in Singapore at 2.00 am?), whatever bags you carry will be irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.