Not going to let you take pictures of me!


Status
Not open for further replies.

dominator

Senior Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,662
0
0
11
Amazon Forest
#1
This an old lady from Wall Village. I was standing about 40m away from her, if another lady never walk pass in front of her I suppose she won't noticed me at all...

For your best comments and Critique please.

 

LittleWolf

New Member
Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#2
dominator said:
This an old lady from Wall Village. I was standing about 40m away from her, if another lady never walk pass in front of her I suppose she won't noticed me at all...
The message I see in this is that, despite knowing that the old lady didn't want to be photographed, you went on to publish the pictures in internationally read media. I find this (mildly put) very disrespectful.

Ultimately, the story in this picture is not about the lady, but the ethics of the photographer. I suspect this is not quite what you intended.
 

dominator

Senior Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,662
0
0
11
Amazon Forest
#3
LittleWolf said:
The message I see in this is that, despite knowing that the old lady didn't want to be photographed, you went on to publish the pictures in internationally read media. I find this (mildly put) very disrespectful.

Ultimately, the story in this picture is not about the lady, but the ethics of the photographer. I suspect this is not quite what you intended.
Did you read the FAQ before posting, it was being reminded in the forum main page? The very 1st thing to do to show your personal being. Well, I am not going to comment about your ethics......

So thank you for your very personal comment about the photographer which is me but not on the photo itself.
So I suppose you are one very ethical person along the streets. Maybe I am wrong? Hope so.

By the way is the critque corner meant for comments on photos or comments on members?
 

LittleWolf

New Member
Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#4
dominator said:
So thank you for your very personal comment about the photographer which is me but not on the photo itself.
It is about the photo. The lady in the photo reacts to you, and the story in the picture is therefore as much about you as about her. The title you've chosen only reinforces this.

I am not surprised you don't like it, but you have to be prepared to accept critique that is not only favorable.
 

weg

New Member
Jul 10, 2002
660
0
0
37
WSSS
www.kelvinseow.com
#5
hmmm i personally feel it's ok to post street pics of pple who didn't want to be photographed. It is an honest pic of how pple act/react and is imho a worthy street shot.
 

sejok

New Member
Jun 1, 2005
59
0
0
Northish
#6
LittleWolf said:
...despite knowing that the old lady didn't want to be photographed, you went on to publish the pictures in internationally read media. I find this (mildly put) very disrespectful.
In all fairness, to the dominator, If he didn't admit to it, I wouldn't have guess that she was avoiding being photographed...

Anyway, IMHO, I found the leg and plastic bag quite annoying... a tigher crop perhaps? and the last one (bottom right) the wooden frame bugs me too... The lady walking in front of the camera.. well that too doesn't quite cut it for me...

Perhaps just 2-3 shots might suffice... if you put the one with her hiding her face in the middle you could title it "peek-a-boo" ;p

If you're framing the photo, I'm also thinking that bordering it within a frame that looks like film "negatives" might be quite cool....
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#7
a super tight crop of the last frame (crop all the way into the embroidery holder) would have worked for me, but it's hard to tell based on these small images. i see nothing interesting in the other five shots.
 

benedium

New Member
Jun 19, 2004
1,204
0
0
www.photo.net
#8
aiya like that photojournalists must be the most despicable people around. So many times pple dont wanna to have their pictures taken. Just cos they are paid means its ok? Best not to judge. Only shows how narrow minded we are.
 

LittleWolf

New Member
Jan 23, 2005
1,095
0
0
Singapore
#9
weg said:
hmmm i personally feel it's ok to post street pics of pple who didn't want to be photographed. It is an honest pic of how pple act/react and is imho a worthy street shot.
For the record, in my home country you could get sued for copyright infringement - the model in a picture, whether voluntary or not, holds the joint copyright of the picture along with the photographer.
 

idor

Senior Member
Nov 11, 2004
666
0
0
42
Northern California
#10
Hmmm she never come scold you? Lucky you.... Some time back a friend took a pic of a lady sewing a shoe in a remote village in Yunnan.... the old lady's son came from nowhere and demanded the film or he will smash her camera... that terrified friend surrendered the roll of film.... That makes me wonder... if we use digital and they ask for film and we dun give cos we dun have.... what will they do to us? :think:
 

weg

New Member
Jul 10, 2002
660
0
0
37
WSSS
www.kelvinseow.com
#11
LittleWolf said:
For the record, in my home country you could get sued for copyright infringement - the model in a picture, whether voluntary or not, holds the joint copyright of the picture along with the photographer.
which country is that?
 

dominator

Senior Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,662
0
0
11
Amazon Forest
#12
the overall of the 6 picture i was trying to show is from her doing embroidery on her hat till the moment another old lady walk pass, till she covered her face and "peek a boo" at me(nice one from sejok imo). Thanks for all constructive comments.

There was once I withness within the custom clearance area in China, I saw a young lady taking video of her child when from behind an officer shouted very loudly and demand her to "wash off" the video on the spot and show him. Before that moment I was actually trying to take out my camera already....... :sweat:
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#14
Nothing against the photographer or his ethics.. but the pictures or the series of pics do not do anything. Simply put, it did not work. What are you trying to portray? Woman in work? If that's your theme or intention, well, i guess we can say it work. Other than that... nothing. In fact, wonder why should this be a series in the first case.
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#15
dominator said:
the overall of the 6 picture i was trying to show is from her doing embroidery on her hat till the moment another old lady walk pass, till she covered her face and "peek a boo" at me(nice one from sejok imo). Thanks for all constructive comments.

There was once I withness within the custom clearance area in China, I saw a young lady taking video of her child when from behind an officer shouted very loudly and demand her to "wash off" the video on the spot and show him. Before that moment I was actually trying to take out my camera already....... :sweat:
OT: so you are actually very lucky not to be sued for taking a picture of an involuntary 'model' in China. when i was doing some research in China i was warned by my friend working there to be careful about such things, their law do give the copyright of your image to the person in that picture.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom