Not another flyer...

newbsnapper

Sep 28, 2011
Picture_002_cs.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, exposure and especially post processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To add a dramatic dimension to the flyer utilizing the dark clouds in the background
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Rainy saturday afternoon, taken just before a very large downpour

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

My first serious attempt at post processing so I would very much like some comments on what could have been done better ? I adjusted contrast, saturation and sharpened it using high pass filter. I'm pretty happy with what i've done to be honest. But do tell how else I may improve.

I think overall you did a good job on the processing. The contrast and detail on the flyer itself is nice. One slight problem is that there are some blown out highlights in the sky... Recovery slider in ACR or Lightroom could have fixed that.

Composition wise, its not bad, but somehow something seems a little off. Sorry I can't be more specific; it just looks a little bit off for some reason.

I like the idea of adding a dramatic tone to the flyer and you did good in conveying it through the post process. I agree with wangxu94 that the composition is a bit off, it feels as though the flyer is going to collapse or you are going to collapse. I think it needs to be straighten a bit to avoid giving the viewer this feeling.

I think overall you did a good job on the processing. The contrast and detail on the flyer itself is nice. One slight problem is that there are some blown out highlights in the sky... Recovery slider in ACR or Lightroom could have fixed that.

Composition wise, its not bad, but somehow something seems a little off. Sorry I can't be more specific; it just looks a little bit off for some reason.

I am sorry I do not see any blown highlights in this picture. Can you tell me where you see it please?

TS, I think you did as well as you could with what you have. It would be much better if you can include the entire flyer into your composition. But at your angle and your lens' focal length range, you probably could not do it.

Good try though. Try shootin the same thing again in better light/sky...

It looks as though tsunami just struck and the flyer is falling over.

wangxu94 said:
The part of the sky near the axis of the flyer looks blown out to me.

It doesn't look blown to me. Highlights, yes, but blown, I don't think so.

Also recovery, although a good tool, the more you use it, the more you sacrifice contrast and the look of dynamic light and will make your pictures flatter.

Last edited:
It doesn't look blown to me. Highlights, yes, but blown, I don't think so.

Also recovery, although a good tool, the more you use it, the more you sacrifice contrast and the look of dynamic light and will make your pictures flatter.

Ah ok then. I guess it's a matter of personal perception. And I have to admit my monitor calibration is not the best. LOL!
And yea, I agree about the recovery slider sacrificing contrast. It's important to use moderately and balance with a little contrast and blacks level.

Ah ok then. I guess it's a matter of personal perception. And I have to admit my monitor calibration is not the best. LOL!
And yea, I agree about the recovery slider sacrificing contrast. It's important to use moderately and balance with a little contrast and blacks level.

Actually it is not perception. You use lightroom right? You can easily see what is blown and what is not, in Lightroom. This is definitely not blown.

Straight to point. The composition does give me a feeling of un-stability, like something is going to fall.

Thanks guys for all the comments !

Actually i didn't intend for it to have this falling effect, i merely wanted to demonstrate a sense of drama with the looming clouds, but after I reviewed the photo, i kinda liked this falling/unstable effect. i thought it added a new dimension to the flyer and is quite complimentary to the dark clouds ?

What I did wish for was a bit of red or warm coloured objects like red flags or something to add a little interest to the photos. I thought the balance was a little too cool..

Hi friend,

I think the shot is well executed in terms of composition and exposure as well as PP. In my own humble opinion there are no overblown highlights as previously suggested. The overall gloomy mood is well delivered.

In my own humble opinion I think you've selected a good crop to the picture, if the whole flyer were incorporated it would look boring. Also the slant lends great perspective and interest to an otherwise over photographed/over familiar subject.

I think your last comment is absolutely right - a break in the colour monotony or something else to generate interest would be great. The main problem is that the subject is a little boring and over familiar - not your fault - to an otherwise well taken photograph.

It looks like it might serve an excellent backdrop/scene for somethign more interesting, like someone falling through the sky on the right, or a plane flying dangerously low etc etc.

My two cents worth. Im not that good a photographer, so Im sorry if I made some stupid comments, but these are my honest opinions.

Picture_002_cs.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, exposure and especially post processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To add a dramatic dimension to the flyer utilizing the dark clouds in the background
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Rainy saturday afternoon, taken just before a very large downpour

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

My first serious attempt at post processing so I would very much like some comments on what could have been done better ? I adjusted contrast, saturation and sharpened it using high pass filter. I'm pretty happy with what i've done to be honest. But do tell how else I may improve.

There is an ominous feel I supposed but I would really like a bit more highlights just so that the photo will not appear too dull. I do feel more attention should be paid to the finer details in the photo. Its a let down to see the bottom most cabin having bits being cropped off abruptly. Not a bad attempt overall but I wouldn't say its great either. Keep going.

I not pro into comments, but I would prefer a whole complete pcs of wheel instead of being cut off at the btm.

i actually like this comopsition. very strong and dynamic, creates tension in the picture. maybe a bit more tonal detail in the clouds would be nice. but i like it the way it is now.

Ah btw just an idea; you might want to try converting to black and white. Colour isn't really an element in this shot anyway and if you do it well, you may be able to really bring out the detail in the metal and the clouds in the background. :)

EDIT: I've just downloaded the image and had a go at converting it to BW. Hope you don't mind :)
picture002csedit2.jpg

You've obviously added quite a bit of sharpening already, so my conversion looks a little weird.

Oh and if you don't mind sending me the original (full size, unsharpened, hopefully RAW? ;P) file i'd really like to see what I can do with it :D

Last edited:
Ah crap just noticed that when I exported from Lightroom it automatically added my watermark. Really sorry about that, I'm not claiming your image as mine in any way :D

downloading someone's image to do a sample PP is ok. But IMHO it is not ok to add your own signature to that image. Since you already noticed it yourself, why don't you take a couple of minutes to re-export and re-post?