not another collection

patch17

Jun 30, 2003
here and there
my wife just sighs...

victorinox - Spartan.
purchased around '93. always in my pocket.
PAS1760-s.jpg

Buck - 110 folding hunter (Workman)
purchased around '97. a very reliable workhorse while camping.
folded
PAS1764-s.jpg

opened
PAS1766-s.jpg

Buck - 112 ranger
smaller brother of the 110. will be my daughter's knife when she's older.
folded
PAS1768-s.jpg

opened
PAS1769-s.jpg

Last edited:
Leatherman - supertool
purchased in sg for about $50 back in '99. another reliable camping tool.
PAS1775-s.jpg

Buck - stockman (3-blade)
a recent purchase. replacement for the spartan? (though not as versitile.)
folded
PAS1776-s.jpg

the 3 blades (clip-point, sheep's foot and round)
PAS1778-s.jpg

Schrade - avatar (black)
another recent purchase. small enough to carry in a pocket, single hand opening.
folded
PAS1779-s.jpg

opened
PAS1780-s.jpg

Solingen - unknown model
my first hunting knife. given to me by my dad many a year ago. carbon steel blade, german made.
PAS1782-s.jpg

finally, my three hunters. top 2 are 110, bottom is the 112. solid, sharp and reliable.
PAS1787-s.jpg

anyone else wish to share their collection?

Let me go dig out my collection :p

Post here or start another thread ?

You are very scary.....holding so many knifes. :sweat:

haha
no lah, i just carry the spartan all the time. it's opened wine bottles, beer bottles, tightened screws, removed splinters, cut rope, twine, tape, etc.

when i go camping, i will usually bring the 110 and the leatherman. the leatherman is useful when i do work around the house too.

used to have a Buck 110, solid.
Dunno where is it now....

updating the collection...

recently purchased two Buck 110 folding hunters pre-1980 vintage.
here's a picture of one of them compared to a more recent 110 (top knife is pre 80's and to bottom knife was made in the 90's)
PAS1891_S.jpg

note the difference in shape of the older knife (top). it was thicker and did not have the rounded off edges.
PAS1902_S.jpg

both knives opened. blade size and shape didn't change through the years.
PAS1901_S.jpg

John Locke must be your favourite character in Lost :D

two more bucks to add...

top, buck 112 (Ranger) and bottom, buck 110 (folding hunter) both with the finger groove handles.
IMG_1940-s.jpg

the scalloped handles gave a more comfortable grip when using the knife.

brand new 112FG opened...
IMG_1941-s.jpg

a used 110FG opened...
IMG_1937-s.jpg

beautiful knives, well made and solid. but i still prefer the standard handle as i find the grip with the grooves just a bit weird.

Meyerco G10 tactical folder 3 inch blade, pocket clip, liner lock and one hand opening ability....
IMG_1942-s.jpg

opened showing a partially serrated blade...
IMG_1943-s.jpg

it's a cheap knife, made in china, where most mass produced knives are made nowadays (even Buck knives and Schrade). it's light and easily carried in your pocket. i wouldn't take it bush and much prefer to take one of the bucks instead.

finally decided to replace my trusty swiss army Spartan after about 15 years of faithfull service. this is the new knife, victorinox Picknicker...
DSC_0011-s.jpg

it has similar features to the old spartan, can opener, flat screw drivers (large and small), etc. except that it has only one large blade where as the spartan had a large and small blade. the picknicker though has a lockable blade, meaning it won't fold back on you until you release the blade with a button switch. (a very useful safety feature) in addition, the blade is about 25% larger than the one on the spartan, but both knives are just as thick, so they easily fit into your pocket.

here's a picture of my three swiss army knives...
DSC_0022-s.jpg

top is my old victorinox spartan, middle is the victorinox picknicker, and the bottom is the newest addition the wenger new ranger 56.

Last edited:
the wenger new ranger 56...
DSC_0020-s.jpg

this was on special and i couldn't resist. a huge lockable blade (to release the blade, press the cross on the handle. how neat is that!) it's similar to the picknicker, but it's got a philips screw driver instead of a corkscrew, and it has a wood saw, but no tweezers and toothpick.

because of the saw, it's thicker than the picknicker, plus the kife is larger as well. it's not exactly pocket friendly but it's a good bit of kit to carry in a back pack or waist pouch.

here's a picture of the large blades of each of my swiss knives...
DSC_0023-s.jpg

top is the ranger, middle is the picknicker and bottom is the spartan.

in my opinion, the victorinox blades look more elegant than the wenger design. they have a more rounded shape unlike the ranger's very flat top and sharp vee.

my very first swiss knife was a wenger. my dad gave it to me from a trip he had to switzerland back in 1973 or 74. i still have that knife and have given it to my daughter. she just keeps it in her dresser, but i hope one day she'll purchase one of her own.

Last edited:

A guy who likes camping and knives :)

ahh... thanks for that!

that's quite a large blade he's got, a good survival knife normally has only a 4" (100mm) long blade. if the blade is too big, the knife gets too clumsy and heavy to carry around.

Leatherman - supertool
purchased in sg for about $50 back in '99. another reliable camping tool.
PAS1775-s.jpg

Wow, you use your LM to cut and saw metal, the blades are so worn?
When are you going to retire him ?

Wow, you use your LM to cut and saw metal, the blades are so worn?
When are you going to retire him ?

no, the blades on my LM are not worn. blade on the right is actually a serrated blade, it's great for cutting rope and plastic. while the straight blade on the left is used for wood.

this super tool is great, everything is lockable, unlike the newer models where only the knives can be locked. i use it around the house, garden, camping, it's still got a lot of life left in it so it won't be retiring soon.

Very interesting! Bet they're very useful huh.

Love this thread.

Got anymore of your sweet collections?