Not All Heroes Are Human

chikchik

Jan 27, 2016
Singapore
Here is one of images that Ive taken so far. I'm very new to the craft(almost a month) and very interested to learn more. So please do feel free to critique, I would really appreciate it and very much looking forward to learn from your opinions.

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I would like feedback on composition and and photography techniques.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I'm trying to give emphasis to the lifebuoy.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

When I went out and did my photo-walk in Clark Quay area, i thought of limiting myself from taking pictures of beautiful city views and instead find other good subjects, find the beauty or drama in it and capture it as good as I can.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?

I think I did good but I believe I can do better with this shot, its just that given my current photography knowledge I don't know yet what that "better" means. So maybe our respectable veterans and pro photographers can shed some light on it.

System: rebel t3i w/ efs 50-250mm is 2 kit lens

Not All Heroes Are Human
novicecollection7.jpg

What is your intent by tilting the image?

What is your intent by tilting the image?
I just thought that tilting might make the image less boring as I somehow find the subject a bit boring.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Two things I see right away that hit me wrong.

Edge shaved off life saving ring and a vanishing perspective leading away from subject and to no where really imo.

Maybe try a different angle and see if you could somehow include some water in shot.

I do like the blue and orange thing going on so maybe try and make the snap about that.

I just thought that tilting might make the image less boring as I somehow find the subject a bit boring.
You nailed it already. Now figure out why you find your own shot boring.

Here is one of images that Ive taken so far. I'm very new to the craft(almost a month) and very interested to learn more. So please do feel free to critique, I would really appreciate it and very much looking forward to learn from your opinions.

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I would like feedback on composition and and photography techniques.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I'm trying to give emphasis to the lifebuoy.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

When I went out and did my photo-walk in Clark Quay area, i thought of limiting myself from taking pictures of beautiful city views and instead find other good subjects, find the beauty or drama in it and capture it as good as I can.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?

I think I did good but I believe I can do better with this shot, its just that given my current photography knowledge I don't know yet what that "better" means. So maybe our respectable veterans and pro photographers can shed some light on it.

System: rebel t3i w/ efs 50-250mm is 2 kit lens

Even with the shallow depth of field, I find the background extremely cluttered and distracting. This together with the tilt made the photograph very uncomfortable to look at. It doesn't help when the bottom bits of your subject is being cropped off abruptly. You may want to consider simplifying the composition which will give more emphasis to the subject. Perhaps taking the subject head on.

Thank you so much for the critiques! Will surely try and apply your advice!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

It's a nice catchy title but somehow the image doesn't instantly deliver this msg to my brain

I feel the subject isolation is not distinct enough. The cluttered background, walking man, colors, are distracting, and so is the tilt. Perhaps shooting the safety buoy straight on, square in the middle, wide open, would work better.

Nice title and idea.

However, as mentioned by others, I think the bokeh distracts from the subject (too colorful and things going on there, like the silhouette of the man).

There isn't anything more to suggest that the bouy is a hero.
Its just sitting there w/o the context to support the title.

Ex.
1. Head on shot of the bouy in grey weather and choppy seas.
2. A bouy that is about to be casted or in mid-air as it is thrown to a blurred out image of a person in need.

It kind of reminds me of a Georgia O'Keefe painting... :D

I really like how you used the shallow depth of field to bring focus to the lifebuoy. However due to the ambient yellow lighting the orange buoy gets quite lost in the photo so maybe you can take the shot in the day or reduct the yellows in this photo. It has good composition but personally I might have lowered myself to get the whole life buoy in frame as it is the subject.

You have a very interesting photo title which steers viewers to what you want to convey. Perhaps have a human subject juxtapose with the buoy to get your message across better. (e.g. Someone in distress in a distance)

Cheers,

Caleb
www.calebgladys.com