Normal or Rude? Please share your views...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick168

Jun 13, 2008
Good day guys!

Just came back from a week long vacation in Singapore. It was filled with fun and enjoyment until the day while waiting for my flight back at Changi Airport. I was strolling along the duty free shops near my departure gate when I decided to rest a while at an internet kiosk which I think has 8 to 10 terminals and only 1 guy was using (so there was 7-9 terminals vacant). By the way, I did not bring my laptop because my photo gears were already heavy.

After a few minutes, an American guy (I recognize his English accent), aged in his 40s sat beside me with his laptop and told me: "It's not appropriate for you to sit here because you don't have a laptop"

I was so upset and mad but being a tourist, I don't want to create a scene and could end up in the police station, so I politely told him I'm sorry and left.

What would you have done if it happened to you? Considering that we were in a public place. May I know your reactions, comments and opinions?

Good day guys!

Just came back from a week long vacation in Singapore. It was filled with fun and enjoyment until the day while waiting for my flight back at Changi Airport. I was strolling along the duty free shops near my departure gate when I decided to rest a while at an internet kiosk which I think has 8 to 10 terminals and only 1 guy was using (so there was 7-9 terminals vacant). By the way, I did not bring my laptop because my photo gears were already heavy.

After a few minutes, an American guy (I recognize his English accent), aged in his 40s sat beside me with his laptop and told me: "It's not appropriate for you to sit here because you don't have a laptop"

I was so upset and mad but being a tourist, I don't want to create a scene and could end up in the police station, so I politely told him I'm sorry and left.

What would you have done if it happened to you? Considering that we were in a public place. May I know your reactions, comments and opinions?

Well he was just being a PITA but you didn't have to leave. You could have just ignored him. He will think you are rude and post it on CS or some other forum he frequents. :)

I believe his reactions were uncalled for.
You didn't have to apologise to him.
Hope this incident wouldn't change your mind about Singapore:)

Good day guys!

You have done very well .... enjoying your stay, having a good time, resting at the kiosk, and leave when he told you so (because he is technically not wrong but crude) .... but you were wrong when you couldn't reconcile that it was a minor incident (and probably has hurt your ego) and that shouldn't marred the fact that you did have a wonderful time here.
This is obvious since you even brought this up here when I see it as a very minor incident..... this is only my view. :dunno:

Forgot abt that incident and remember the good times you have in Singapore and welcome back!

he wasn't rude just straight forward. dun be so thin skinned la. that area is for laptop users to access wireless etc so if its crowded of course someone will say what he said to you. dun take it personally just move on. u started a new acct just to post this?!

My take is, he's not wrong. Perhaps a little rigid, since there was only one user present and 8-10 terminals available.

However, sometimes, some people are more direct; it could be their upbringing, it could be civic mindedness or a sense or moral high-ground. It's not entirely uncommon to see hoards of parents and kids or people crowding or hoarding spaces reserved for others or just having a very poor sense of pedestrian traffic and safety in South East Asia, so in that respect, I can understand where he's coming from.

The deciding factor for me would be the tone and manner in which he delivered his comments.

he wasn't rude just straight forward. dun be so thin skinned la. that area is for laptop users to access wireless etc so if its crowded of course someone will say what he said to you. dun take it personally just move on. u started a new acct just to post this?!

No sir, I found this site about 3-4 months ago because of my trip there and wanted to get some gears but seldom post. And I managed to buy it there last week and have visited several photo shops the members here recommend such as CP, MS, Lord's, etc... Too bad I didn't have the time to visit Funan IT Mall.

Hope to visit there again soon, managed to get some shots of the Merlion Park, Esplanade, Flyer

And thank you for sharing your views sirs, now I feel better :)

lucky is not a Singaporean who make that comment.
but thanks anyway for dropping by in Singapore and try to avoid sim lim square if you can.
john 3.16 is at funan mall, too bad you didn't drop by there, well like you said there is always some other time.

cheers and have a nice day ahead.

If you are in other countries, try to be obedient, Say sorry and move on.
Imagine you just ignore and stare at him and not even a sorry. Dun you think it will reflect a bad side of being a singaporean?

If you are in other countries, try to be obedient, Say sorry and move on.
Imagine you just ignore and stare at him and not even a sorry. Dun you think it will reflect a bad side of being a singaporean?

TS is not local....

My bad sorry. Anyway is always nice to just say sorry :D

thats why is better to say sorry than excuse me when i need to get out of a crowded mrt train.
some ppl funny one, sorry they can hear but excuse me seems pretty hard for them to hear carefully....of cos i wont blame those on earphones.

Good day guys!

American guy with an English accent?! :)

I think its pretty normal, What he did was just to remind you that you should not sit here as those are designated seats for people who wish to use/charge their laptop.

Even if there are a lot of free spaces, it would be good to observe the assigned usage of the booth.

I am sure Changi airport have more then enough places for you to sit down and rest.

Please don't be offended by people who are helping to remind you :)

I guess it would make a difference if he said it in a rude way or if he was politely reminding you. If it was the latter, I would just smile and move away.

Status
Not open for further replies.