Normal Memory Cards slow operations drastically ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
HIe Guys,

Do slower memory cards like San Disk (no speed written) normal cards affect DSLR operations siginificantly ? I currently have a San Disk Ultra II 512mb card, but I'm looking to expand my storage capapbilities. The slower cards have very attractive prices indeed. I dont shoot alot of sports, nor require successive quick shots, but I do shoot RAW. Your comments ?

Only when reviewing, and writing to the cards, there should be a slight time difference when writing the images.

IIRC, did a test on some 512cards bursting for RAW vs 1GB Lexar 40X, found that a few seconds was the time difference, but unable to remember how much.

If you don't need the extra speed then go for the normal write speed cards. Because of the camera buffer(d100 right) it doesnt quite make a difference for single shot-style shooting

how about D70 ? will it make alot of difference say if using the kingston 512mb card ?

digipat2003 said:
how about D70 ? will it make alot of difference say if using the kingston 512mb card ?

Big difference lor. How fast is your Kingston?

So which card is the best ?

2100 said:
Big difference lor. How fast is your Kingston?

not sure of the speed, but is the one selling at eastgear for $69. will it be sufficient if i just shoot frame by frame, the d70 got buffer for 9 pics for fine large print rite ?

digipat2003 said:
not sure of the speed, but is the one selling at eastgear for $69. will it be sufficient if i just shoot frame by frame, the d70 got buffer for 9 pics for fine large print rite ?

For a very very slow card like the original first gen Sandisk, you will be able to do 9-10 large fine jpgs at 3fps. Frame by frame you shoot NEF also no problem with a microdrive in sleep mode. :D

tks guys for clearing my doubts :D

Hmm.. The price for Kingston 1GB CF at Eastgear seems to be very tempting. But its the slower normal version and not the Pro series where writing speeds are faster.

Dennis said:
For a D70 nothing beats a Lexar with WA.
Best value and fast.

Actually the SanDisk Ultra II and Extreme cards are faster on the D70 than the Lexar with WA cards (only the newer 80X second edition Lexars come close to matching)

Status
Not open for further replies.