noob's soleminzation pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucsy

Aug 26, 2009
4233761572_e653291e46_b.jpg

Hi all, was helping my cousin take some pictures during his solemnization and liked this picture alot. this is the first time posting in critique corner and hope to pick up some pointers in trying to make my next shot better.

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
In all areas. for example composure

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
I would like to show their happiness of the couple.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I wanted to take a picture of the couple without them knowing that someone is taking a picture of them.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
Like this picture a lot. because the couple was smiling happily and the way they were looking (at another photographer) feels like they are looking towards the future.

Thanks to all

no comments?

I would give u credit if you are taking such photo for the first time. but seriously, the flower in front really spoil the pic. It cover almost all of the bride. I'm not sure if that's your intention to use it as a frame but it does not work quite well here. Overall picture is sharp just need a bit more imagination for the framing.

Doesnt work well for me. The foreground is too distracting and takes up too much of the frame. Would be better if the frame can be tighter so that the couple is in the one third area... Just my 2 cents :)

I would give u credit if you are taking such photo for the first time. but seriously, the flower in front really spoil the pic. It cover almost all of the bride. I'm not sure if that's your intention to use it as a frame but it does not work quite well here. Overall picture is sharp just need a bit more imagination for the framing.

Thanks.. U mean the flower that is on the bride? thanks..

Doesnt work well for me. The foreground is too distracting and takes up too much of the frame. Would be better if the frame can be tighter so that the couple is in the one third area... Just my 2 cents :)

Do u mean that i should crop more?

Although the subjects are in focus, but it seems like you are a paparazzi hiding in a corner to shoot. The OOF foreground objects, branches are a bit distracting too.

Although the subjects are in focus, but it seems like you are a paparazzi hiding in a corner to shoot. The OOF foreground objects, branches are a bit distracting too.

ya that was my aim.. to be a paparazzi.. so maybe a plainer background would be good?

Thanks.. U mean the flower that is on the bride? thanks..

LOok at the foreground. What its the most eye catching thing you see? Its a good try but like mention by most ppl. Foreground too distracting. :p

ok will take note of it the next time... thanks guys

Do u mean that i should crop more?

Yes you should but there are 2 more problems in the picture even after cropping. The flower that sticks out like a sore thumb and the branches behind the couple's head.

I can see the creativity in trying to come up with this shot so keep it up and it may become your own distinct shooting style. In the meantime, work on your composition and I am sure you can come up with more stunning shots.

Keep the photos coming :)

You are shooting for your cousin, so why need to hide ? As long as you are not in the way of another photog ( the main photog I suppose ) you can shoot as a documentary or even include the photog shooting your cousin.

As for this pic, I would say it is pretty bad. Cropping do not helps either, as there are about 60-70% of the image area are wasted/redundant, so that left 30% after cropping, not much pixel left ?

As for beginners, I would strongly advice, do something simple and straight forward first. Only when you have get all the conventional way of shooting under control then proceed on to be creative or experimental.

Successful photography is all about " controls ". Starting with, understand all the controls of your camera and lenses and maybe strobe/flashes....their function, usage and characteristics, limits,etc.

agree the flower is pretty distracting. i would frame full body and greenery in the background.

if you want to catch them candid, you can use a telephoto lens and standing a distance away from them.

ok thanks guys i will take note of them on my next shoot.

erm...the guy is my secondary school fwen from St Gabs. ...he is ur cousin? haha Quite surprise!

From where you are standing and holding the camera, wait for them a little longer. Then click if they happen to be talking to each other in an intimate way. Now they are a bit stiff if you know what I mean.

IMHO, slightly overexpose.
Understand the intention of framing, but it doesn't work out well.
Try to use smaller aperture, and frame again, to let the very blur curve thingy in front (assume is a part of flower?) become clearer (but not very clear). Might be better.

Edit: found this post: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5745742&postcount=6
Probably TS is trying to achieve something like this. But foreground blur has to take careful control, if not will make the photo not good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.