Noob's question about film photography

When89

Oct 7, 2009
Clementi, Singapore
Hi everyone :)

I'm totally new in photography and also quite new in Singapore. Though I know it's now digital era, still I wonder if you still use film camera here in Singapore. And if yes, where should be good places to have your film processed?

My friend in Korea recommended me the Nikon FM2. Is there any chance I can get one here in Singapore?

Hi everyone :)

I'm totally new in photography and also quite new in Singapore. Though I know it's now digital era, still I wonder if you still use film camera here in Singapore. And if yes, where should be good places to have your film processed?

My friend in Korea recommended me the Nikon FM2. Is there any chance I can get one here in Singapore?

Welcome to CS and Singapore:)

To answer your questions, yes there are still a lot of people using film and its easy to develop yr films, photo developing shops are scattered around in shopping centres and residential neighbourhoods.

you can check the Nikon buy and sell for the camera, use the search function to make the search faster

Thank you, I was worrying because I could not find any topic on film cameras here.

By the way, could you recommend me some cameras to shoot street-life photos? I'm looking for something easily portable, doesn't catch much people's attention, and still has the capability to shoot as an SLR :)

Thank you, I was worrying because I could not find any topic on film cameras here.

By the way, could you recommend me some cameras to shoot street-life photos? I'm looking for something easily portable, doesn't catch much people's attention, and still has the capability to shoot as an SLR :)

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with SLRs so i can't answer that but the FM2 does seem to be highly rated. You can post your question here, in the rangefinder section:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with SLRs so i can't answer that but the FM2 does seem to be highly rated. You can post your question here, in the rangefinder section:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

I mean, anything regardless digital or film. Because I haven't had any other camera except for a compact, I'm looking for any possible choices that suites my need and a quite tight budget (~S$600):)

I mean, anything regardless digital or film. Because I haven't had any other camera except for a compact, I'm looking for any possible choices that suites my need and a quite tight budget (~S$600):)

If you are looking for something small, light and with interchangeable lens its quite tough on a $600 budget, all the new mirror-less and micro 4/3 systems will easily cost more than that. You can take a look sony nex-3 or 5 and the olympus PEN series but they are not cheap.

You may want to look at a second-hand Sony A500/A550. The tilting LCD will allow you to take shots without people realizing it since you don't need to lift to your eye. If you want something even smaller, the A330/380 is good. Best would be one of the new NEX cameras, but your budget won't fit.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot brothers, I'm reading through the forum. So many nice topics. I believe I can find 1 camera for me here!

Welcome to Singapore bro!!!:D

Just in case you're looking to buy b/w film or slides to do some street work, there're some shops in City Hall that sells them, eg: Ruby and Konota. Have fun!

Welcome to Singapore bro!!!:D

Just in case you're looking to buy b/w film or slides to do some street work, there're some shops in City Hall that sells them, eg: Ruby and Konota. Have fun!

Thanks!
I have bought an FM2N from a very nice guy. It works well so far, I'm still using the 1st roll to get used to it.

I'm also looking for a good shop for film photgraphy near Clementi.
They say there is one on Clementi road but I didn't see any. Or is it the shop facing the MRT way there, between the 2 foodcourts?

Last edited:
Grace Digital Lab is good! That's where i do my color prints.
Simon is a very nice guy who takes pride in his printing.:thumbsup:

Thanks!
I have bought an FM2N from a very nice guy. It works well so far, I'm still using the 1st roll to get used to it.

FM2N is a nice camera. You may want to check out the rangefinder subforum. Lots of 35mm "purists" there... and its damn poisonous, mind u! :bsmilie:

Simon at Grace is pretty good and reasonably priced. Sometimes I do get watermarks etc on my scanning though but I'm not really that fussy...

Enjoy!

TS, you can probably find more info on Traditional Darkroom subforum on film photography.

The FM2 is a great camera; totally manual which gives you total control over how you shoot. A great cam to learn photograpy from the basic. I am still keeping mine.

Thank you all for your response!
I still have alot alot of things to learn! So far I've shot 2 clolour and 1 B&W rolls. Waiting for them to be developed and scanned :D

It's great to hear Simon is good. I'm having my colour rolls at Grace already. But Grace doesn't develop B&W, so my friend suggest me the Triple D in Bugis, quite far from my place at Clementi. In the end I give my B&W to the nice uncle at Ruby for a try, just developing only ($6). Scanning will add on $12.

Could you suggest me any other good place (but not so high priced) to develop B&W in the West?

Last edited:
I don't know how is the scanning quality at Ruby, but developing still not so bad. Ah Eng and Uncle are nice ppl.

For scanning, you can also look around in this forum. There are some who provides good b/w scanning using Nikon Coolscan scanners. ;)

One thing I like about the Nikon FM2 is because it can function with or without batteries.

For processing, scanning or printing of pictures, you may visit

Triple D Minilab
Reg. Name: Triple D Minilab Centre
Also found in Alphabet T, Page 713 of 789
Burlington Square #01-07, 175 Bencoolen Street, (S)189649