Noobie Question about Rechargables..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alankuik

Jan 26, 2004
Toa Payoh
www.picturesky.com
Sorry if this sounds stupid :confused:

Scenario : i'm using GP Powerbank charger that comes with the 1600mAH batteries.

Question1 : Can i get 2500 / 2200 batteries to charge and work properly on this charger?

Question2 : If answer to Q1 is (no), will a new charger that comes with 2500 batteries overcharge 1600 batteries??

:sweat: tks in advance!

alankuik said:
Sorry if this sounds stupid :confused:

Scenario : i'm using GP Powerbank charger that comes with the 1600mAH batteries.

Question1 : Can i get 2500 / 2200 batteries to charge and work properly on this charger?

Question2 : If answer to Q1 is (no), will a new charger that comes with 2500 batteries overcharge 1600 batteries??

:sweat: tks in advance!

Hmm, I use my charger to charge my 2300mAHs and 2100mAHs.Not much noticeable difference IMHO.I think the charger is not set to any specific mAH.

depends on the power that the charger can provide, (the amp), if the charger can't give the minimum amp to charge the 2300 & 2500, den it won't fully charge the batt...

also it will take a hell lot of time to charge a 2500 that way, you may think that the charger is spoilt...

a new charger that is able to charge 2500 will definitely able to charge 1600, everything is backward compatible... haven heard of anything that is future proof that can last for generations...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
depends on the power that the charger can provide, (the amp), if the charger can't give the minimum amp to charge the 2300 & 2500, den it won't fully charge the batt...

also it will take a hell lot of time to charge a 2500 that way, you may think that the charger is spoilt...

a new charger that is able to charge 2500 will definitely able to charge 1600, everything is backward compatible... haven heard of anything that is future proof that can last for generations...
Out of Topic, but for a period of time, there's this future proof USR V.everything modem.. dats qutie futureproof during teh days of 28.8 - 33.6 - 56k - kflex and V.90 :)

anyway, thanks for the info guys!

alankuik said:
Out of Topic, but for a period of time, there's this future proof USR V.everything modem.. dats qutie futureproof during teh days of 28.8 - 33.6 - 56k - kflex and V.90 :)

anyway, thanks for the info guys!

but seems like nobody would be buying a 56k modem liao... ;p

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

not entirely true!
a 1600ma charger can charge 2500mah batteries fully except it will take longer. takes about 1.5 hrs. a 2500ma charger will charge 2500mah batteries in 1hr.

using a 2500ma charger to charge 1600mah batteries is not recommended as it will shorten the battery life. if there are no protection circuitry built-in to monitor the battery cell temperature, the battery cell may 'vent' (say bye bye to the batteries) to prevent explosion. when charging, you'll notice that that the battery cell gets hot and battery internal pressure will increase. using correct charger will prevent this from happenning.

that said, a 2500ma charger will not overcharge 1600mah batteries. charging will stop when battery cell voltage reaches about 1.5V (for NiMH).

thomas_lkt said:
not entirely true!
a 1600ma charger can charge 2500mah batteries fully except it will take longer. takes about 1.5 hrs. a 2500ma charger will charge 2500mah batteries in 1hr.

I think ur wrong .. A 1600mA charger can never fully charge a 2500mA batteries even u charge for 24hours

And also we don measure the charger using mA .. I would agree on wat Del_CtrlnoAlt had said it depends on the (A) amphere tat the charger can provide.

I once nearly order a 10 cell charger from aussie. And the kind person told me it can never fully charge a 2500ma batteries cos the charger couldnt provide the (A) which is required to charge the batteries

rgds

1A = 1000mA – unit of electric current
1Ah = 1000mAh – storage capacity of a battery (Ah/mAh is also written as Ahr/mAhr)

a battery charger recharges batteries using electric current so battery charger capability is given as xA or xxxxmA. therefore, a 1A charger is also known as 1000mA charger.

a 1000mAh battery can supply a device that consumes 1000mA for 1hr. the same battery can supply a device that consumes 500mA for 2hr or a device that consumes 100mA for 10hr.

to fast charge (1hr to 2hr charging time) 1000mAh batteries, the charger must be capable of providing 1000mA of charge current. using a charger with lower charging current will charge the battery full except it will take longer - i.e. a 200mA charger will charge a 1000mAh battery in 5hrs. therefore, a 1600mA charger can fully charge 2500mAh battery in about 1.5hrs.

I'm not too well-versed in the details of chargers, but most chargers sold these days are smart chargers which can detect when a battery is full and shut off. So it's both backward and forward compatible.

Or just get a Maha. ;p

the maximum recommended recharge rate of a battery is 1.2x the capacity. a 1000mAh battery should not be recharged with more than 1200mA.

be careful of 'smart' chargers. How they detect full charge is very important.

the expensive ones detect for tempreture and saturation.

the cehaper ones just check for tempreture.

also, trickle charge is BAD for your batt and will shorten the life.

Do not use the refresh function as it will also reduce battery life. These are some of the lies from batt manufers to make you buy more batt.

The chances of 'memory effect' on NiMH is very low, you have to be dammn suay or abuse the batteries to get it.

DT:)

dreamtheatre said:
be careful of 'smart' chargers. How they detect full charge is very important.

the expensive ones detect for tempreture and saturation.

the cehaper ones just check for tempreture.

Do not use the refresh function as it will also reduce battery life. These are some of the lies from batt manufers to make you buy more batt.

The chances of 'memory effect' on NiMH is very low, you have to be dammn suay or abuse the batteries to get it.

DT:)

Hi everyone out there,

Thank you for all the great advices.
It sure help me understand more about batteries especially NiMH.
Just curious, is Lithium-ion rechargable 'AA' size battery available in Singapore?

Yappy & happy

Yappy said:
Hi everyone out there,

Thank you for all the great advices.
It sure help me understand more about batteries especially NiMH.
Just curious, is Lithium-ion rechargable 'AA' size battery available in Singapore?

Yappy & happy

Not at the moment, As Lithium explodes easily. It requires proper monitoring of the cell temperatures.

BTW, NiMh/ Ni Cad battery chargers are able to charge any type of battery within the same voltage rating. The part the ensures that the battery is fully packed is the charging voltage or EMF (likened to the pressure in water pipe). The current rating ie. mah tells you how fast a charger is capable of charging the battery. eg the old powerbank chargers charge at a rate of 100mah for AA and 45mah for AAA. Taking the AA size for example, a perfect 1600ma battery will take approx 1600/100 = 1.6hrs to charge. If you use a 2000ma battery, it will thus require about 2hrs. more for older batteries.

2500/2200mah batteries will work properly on a charger that comes with 1600mah batteries. it just takes longer.

dreamtheatre said:

Not true.. Trickle charging does take an extremely long time to charge the cells.. However, fast charging will only allow the user to get about 80% battery capacity if a trickle charge is not applied. It takes longer for the last 20% to be charged than for the 1st 80% to be charged up.

dreamtheatre said:

Refresh function does reduce the maximum capacity ever so slightly. Refresh chargers do show that on the charts. But that reduction is minimal compared to the voltage depression suffered by NiCD & NiMH cells.
Although many people believe that NiMH cells do not suffer 'memory effect' (voltage depression), it's not the case. Cells going though repeated charging without conditioning can and will suffer voltage depression.

Even end-users have tried conditioning and found that it works well:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-4059-4110

Thanks buddy.....

Great help. Hope to see the 'AA' soon!

Maha Powerex is the best. From eastgear. Voted best charger in the world.

not only that, Li-Ion batteries are manufactured with a single-cell voltage of 3.6V which is not found suitable in applications as the AA batteries.

moreover, Li-Ion requires extra circuitry embedded inside the prismatic cells to monitor the various operating parameters during charge/discharge.

MDZ2 said:
Not at the moment, As Lithium explodes easily. It requires proper monitoring of the cell temperatures.

user12343 said:
not only that, Li-Ion batteries are manufactured with a single-cell voltage of 3.6V which is not found suitable in applications as the AA batteries.

moreover, Li-Ion requires extra circuitry embedded inside the prismatic cells to monitor the various operating parameters during charge/discharge.

:cool:

Yup.. But for many of those cheapo made in China cells, that is not the case.. They lack the circuitry and hence, many people have reported exploding/ burning handphones when they use these 3rd party batteries in their phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.