Noobie query

shadlightsg

Oct 31, 2009
hiya folks
once again.. it's me and my dust thingy..
i decided to ignore the dust problem with my lens
but now i found another problem.

wondering if any kind soul can enlighten me

i see a red dot on my photos when i view it on the dslr screen (500d). when i put the picture to the desktop, there're no red dots or anything..

is this a bad sign of things? heh..
pls kindly advise..

haha.. no..
i confirm liao.. should be got dust on the sensor.. hence the red dot..
hais.. sianx..

Think you should try visit the Canon Service Centre tomorrow and ask them for a 2nd opinion.

If need, let the camera and lens be 'warded' for a few days so that the 'doctors' could nurse them back to health.

How's that?

hmm.. out of warranty.. means need to pay even if i wanna clean..
and it's only a very entry level body.. so.. i will just ignore this .. and try to save for a better body..

its not dust. dust specks on lens should not show up on picture, unless it is a chunk of dust.. it should be a hot pixel on your sensor. the reason why it does not appear on your monitor is because some program auto corrects detected hot pixel.

its not dust. dust specks on lens should not show up on picture, unless it is a chunk of dust.. it should be a hot pixel on your sensor. the reason why it does not appear on your monitor is because some program auto corrects detected hot pixel.

I think if the "red dot" shows on the camera LCD but not on the computer when view on the computer. It is highly probably that the hot pixel is on the camera LCD. As long as it doesn't show up when viewed in the computer monitor, you should be safe.

i see a red dot on my photos when i view it on the dslr screen (500d). when i put the picture to the desktop, there're no red dots or anything..

I think you already identified the problem yourself
1. It shows on the DSLR small screen red dot
2. It does not show on the desktop when you load the same pix onto your computer
Therefore, the problem should be the DSLR screen

To confirm, you can just zoom in any photo; if the red dot can be magnified, then it's in the photo. If you magnify already but the dot remains at the same place, then it's the LCD monitor of your camera.

hmm..
i need to amend this..
the red dot is on the picture when i take it in jpeg.
if i take in raw and directly process out, there's no red dot in the photo.

can refer to the link..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50983828@N05/4687771367/

I think you already identified the problem yourself
1. It shows on the DSLR small screen red dot
2. It does not show on the desktop when you load the same pix onto your computer
Therefore, the problem should be the DSLR screen

To confirm, you can just zoom in any photo; if the red dot can be magnified, then it's in the photo. If you magnify already but the dot remains at the same place, then it's the LCD monitor of your camera.

hmm.. out of warranty.. means need to pay even if i wanna clean..
and it's only a very entry level body.. so.. i will just ignore this .. and try to save for a better body..

huh?? cleaning sensor is dirt cheap...how long must you save per cleaning to get a new body?:dunno:

Last edited:
4687771367_e51c49974e.jpg

looks like a hot pixel to me...

oh in that case.

anyone can highlight how much does it cost to clean at csc?
lens and body

hot spot is what sia? btw?

oh in that case.

anyone can highlight how much does it cost to clean at csc?
lens and body

hot spot is what sia? btw?

hot spot can't be solved by cleaning...needs to do remapping...can call csc to check....

since it looks like only 1 pixel...it's easily removed during PP...hotspot might appear during high iso/long exposure during night shot...maybe you can test out if it shows up in all your photos?

I'm not sure how much does remapping takes...anyone can share?

thanks for your help bro

but for this .. the exposure is 1/125

my friend say its like serious case..
haha..

since it looks like only 1 pixel...it's easily removed during PP...hotspot might appear during high iso/long exposure during night shot...maybe you can test out if it shows up in all your photos?

I'm not sure how much does remapping takes...anyone can share?

you can try google and read up...they are caused by higher leakage current than usual..more leakage current->high voltage charged-> brighter than usual...

Always at the same spot, if yours is not..then it's not...

thanks for your help bro

but for this .. the exposure is 1/125

my friend say its like serious case..
haha..

very serious meh? if it's in the centre then it's serious...:bsmilie:
bring to csc and see what they can do...ask for a quote...if too ex, then consider using pp to remove it...

it's always the same spot..
:p

hais.. i either live with it.. or repair it..
hah.a.

you can try google and read up...they are caused by higher leakage current than usual..more leakage current->high voltage charged-> brighter than usual...

Always at the same spot, if yours is not..then it's not...

it's always the same spot..
:p

hais.. i either live with it.. or repair it..
hah.a.

If I am you, I will live with it. In pictures where the dot looks obvious, I will just clone it out. BTW which camera body is this?