Noobie here, please enlighten

shunkun

Dec 10, 2010
Somewhere Out There ; Punggol
Hi to all the big brothers and sisters here. I am new to photography, and do hope any kind souls out here will be willing to enlighten me if i am wrong or am too stupid :p

The fact that everywhere I go, i see people carrying Dslr camera no matter young or old, and Dslr camera prices are dipping compared to the past, makes me wanna get one for myself. Due to budget constrain, and i don't wanna spend so much on a Dslr camera while im still a noob with it, I got mine from the Sitex show @ expo recently. The Sony a290.

I understand some peeps out there might have comments about this model, but to me, i thought, i should just start with a cheaper ones and work it out slowly when i have the time and budget over the years. Seriously, is this model good for beginners?

Got my dry cabinet only yesterday (after 3weeks of getting the camera), hope its not too late. I've checked the lens and camera, lucky me, i didn't find any spot :X

For now, how and where(places where i can take nice natural/nature pics) do i start to learn how to take good pictures?

I use my camera for my oversea trip weeks go, realized that when i try to take a pic of myself and friends in front of a waterfall, our face appear too dark, tried adjust shutterspeed so that more light can pass through, but the sky and waterfall becomes too white that i cant see the cloud. So, that means i should get myself a cpl filter?

And, i saw a lotta guys putting on hoods for the lens, so that extra lights does not runs in, when and what kinda hood should be used?(eg, petal or round) does the hoods suits all lens size?

Can filter and hood be use together at the same time?

How do you guys use the flash in combination with shutterspeed ? is it true, as shutterspeed goes slower, more light enters, so i need not use the flashlight?

I've got the sal 18-55mm lens with the camera package, free. I felt the zoom is not enough for taking objects far off. Where can i get reasonable rates of telephoto/zoom lens (lets say up to 200mm) that is compatible with my camera model, other than sony itself? because i believe not every shops carry lens for all the camera brands in the market.

Many thanks for any reply ^-^"
Good day :p

Hi to all the big brothers and sisters here. I am new to photography, and do hope any kind souls out here will be willing to enlighten me if i am wrong or am too stupid :p

The fact that everywhere I go, i see people carrying Dslr camera no matter young or old, and Dslr camera prices are dipping compared to the past, makes me wanna get one for myself. Due to budget constrain, and i don't wanna spend so much on a Dslr camera while im still a noob with it, I got mine from the Sitex show @ expo recently. The Sony a290.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to CS:)

I understand some peeps out there might have comments about this model, but to me, i thought, i should just start with a cheaper ones and work it out slowly when i have the time and budget over the years. Seriously, is this model good for beginners?

Got my dry cabinet only yesterday (after 3weeks of getting the camera), hope its not too late. I've checked the lens and camera, lucky me, i didn't find any spot :X

For now, how and where(places where i can take nice natural/nature pics) do i start to learn how to take good pictures?

If you're talking about landscapes,there is a thread on where to shoot etc already in the landscapes gallery

I use my camera for my oversea trip weeks go, realized that when i try to take a pic of myself and friends in front of a waterfall, our face appear too dark, tried adjust shutterspeed so that more light can pass through, but the sky and waterfall becomes too white that i cant see the cloud. So, that means i should get myself a cpl filter?

And, i saw a lotta guys putting on hoods for the lens, so that extra lights does not runs in, when and what kinda hood should be used?(eg, petal or round) does the hoods suits all lens size?

Wide-angle normally use petal
Tele normally use round
There is a filter diameter thread on the top/side of your lens which should state the diameter...

Yes

How do you guys use the flash in combination with shutterspeed ? is it true, as shutterspeed goes slower, more light enters, so i need not use the flashlight?

I've got the sal 18-55mm lens with the camera package, free. I felt the zoom is not enough for taking objects far off. Where can i get reasonable rates of telephoto/zoom lens (lets say up to 200mm) that is compatible with my camera model, other than sony itself? because i believe not every shops carry lens for all the camera brands in the market.

Sony and Minolta share the same mount.Tamron/Sigma and Tokina also make lenses for Sony but you gotts make sure the box states its for Sony/Minolta.You might wanna take a look at the 55-200.Refer to the price guide for the usual list of shops...

Welcome to CS . . . no question is stupid here . . . as long as they are answered and you got your doubt cleared.

Congrat on your new toy, just enjoy shooting and ignore those peeps. Most important is that you like the camera and it is within your budget. You own it with your own $$.

You won't get any fungus so fast . . . i got mine a few weeks later after i bought my camera.

You can join the free outings and gatherings organised here and you will learn alot from the seniors . . . just don't be afaid to ask questions. They are very nice and are there to help.

It is not about a filter but your setting. Think you are shooting at a subject with a backlight (meaning the lights are shining from the front). Normally we will use fill flash to brighten up the faces.

Hoods are to prevent glare into the camera during the day, no issue without it too. I use without.

Yup, no problem.

It really depends on what you are shooting actually . . . a bit difficult to explain here, think some seniors will help in this . . .

You can check it out at the sony showroom. Pls check the price at the price guide sub forum. We normally get our cameras and lenses not from those fair. It will be cheaper if you do a bit of searching. Funan is a nice place to go; get from those reputated shops . . . TKPhoto, Cathay and MS colour are some shops which i normally go to.

By the way, i not big brother . . . still a newbie learning too

==> cleonbus => Thank you so much for the information cleonbus :bsmilie:

==> coolthought => Thanks coolthought, actually I've read up those threads before posting my very first message :p but it doesn't hurt to read over and over again ^^;)

==> weegk => Thanks weegk, errrr, talking about outings, am afraid I'll be mock about my lack of tools equipments and noobish lens and body :~~~ /.\"" :cry:

Ermmm, do I need to really bring my camera along when i purchase lens? I know this question's kinda stupid, but am just afraid it might not fix with the model, but will it be even more stupid to take out my camera and test, end up proving that I'm really new to photography and got con or persuade by the shops to buy things that I may not need?

Ermmm, do I need to really bring my camera along when i purchase lens? I know this question's kinda stupid, but am just afraid it might not fix with the model, but will it be even more stupid to take out my camera and test, end up proving that I'm really new to photography and got con or persuade by the shops to buy things that I may not need?

it's better if you do.
you can at least test the lens if the AF works, if it's sharp, etc. and no shop should ever stop you from testing the merchandise first before buying. it's more convenient this way rather than having to come back to the store to exchange because the lens doesn't fit, right?

Hello...welcome.

Why not join us in the outing this Sat?
Info is in the Sony subforum.

Hope to see you. :)

Hi and welcome to Clubsnap! :)

==> weegk => Thanks weegk, errrr, talking about outings, am afraid I'll be mock about my lack of tools equipments and noobish lens and body :~~~ /.\"" :cry:

If it's just playful teasing, I think that is ok. Nobody should mock you if they perceive your equipment to be inferior in whatever way. You should just ignore those people. Not worth your time.

Joining outings is just one way you can learn more about photography. Many people also learn on their own (reading and experimenting), or attend some formal classes.

==> ZerocoolAstra => Thanks zerocoolastra for the encourangment and for building up my confidence. will join them in future if the time and date is right for me ^-^"

==> makolit => Guess you are right makolit, will bring the camera down if I am going down for the purchase. Thanks so much.

==> Galdor ==> i need to work on saturdays hehe, if not, will be glad to join, i saw the post and was tempting to join. but i only knock off at 5pm >.<"

Hello...welcome.

Why not join us in the outing this Sat?
Info is in the Sony subforum.

Hope to see you. :)

understand some peeps out there might have comments about this model, but to me, i thought, i should just start with a cheaper ones and work it out slowly when i have the time and budget over the years. Seriously, is this model good for beginners?

Welcome to CS!

Yes any DSLR is good enough.

I encourage you to read more online, join some outings, shoot more and share more.

Good start here:

Basics of camera operation:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-more-quick-composition-tips-illustrated

Flash photography
http://www.gentleye.com/photo/photoart/advflash/index.html
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171657

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Newbie guide to Filters
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029

Singapore Camera equipment price guides:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Try a flash when you are face extreme lightings next time. Shoot more , encounter more difficult situations , research and read up on solutions . That's how you enjoy the hobby :)

Yes, do join us for the regular outings as i believe we should be able to clear most of your doubts.

joining the outing is a good and fast way to learn; cos there are friendly seniors around who are willing to guide you along. Don't be inferior with any camera that you got. It is the man behind the camera and not the camera itself.

I have seen keen learners using PnS at landscape outings and they enjoy the outings. :D

perhaps the ego within me is kicking up a fuss hahaha :p

thanks so much for the encouragements guys (seems like these big brothers and sisters are a buncha really nice peeps) i was expecting some young and naive members to post rubbish and outta point messages (just like those from Singapore stomp members). I've joined the correct forum after all, I should learn more and a lot more from you guys.

Wellcome :cool:

Wellcome to the world of photography :cool:

Looks okay... I dunno much about Sony though.

It's not too late as long as its kept in a cool dry place like air con room...

Join our CS gatherings!

No, use a graduated ND filter. It will darken the clouds while keeping your subjects intact ;)

No, you must get the correct hood for your lens. They are not one-size-fits-all, unlike kitchen gloves...

Can, but you can't use a CPL and a hood at the same time as the hood blocks your fingers from reaching the CPL...

I don't normally use flash because I have a wide aperture lens... I remembered I sold off my flashgun to buy the 50 f1.4 USM...

I can't comment on your kit lens because I haven't tried yet, but the Canon kit lens is perfect for most stuffs... I suggest you keep your kit lens and buy a telezoom.

You're welcome :cool:

Welcome to CS... No one is stupid, dont worry. :)

Welcome to the alpha family :)

It is more than enough to take nice picture.

You can visit CS landscapes gallery for some inspiration or join outings organised by our bros here.

You need a fill flash to get the background and subject properly exposed in this case.

Use the hood that is designed for your lens if functionality is your concern. a lens hood's primary purpose is to prevent stray lights from entering, thus preventing flares. it also serves to protect the lens front element.

Yes.

there is no magic formula. it all depends on the situation and type of shots one wants to achieve. It is true that higher Shutter speed means more light hitting the sensor but in many situations, lighting conditions are unequal. i.e. subject may be properly exposed, background may be blown. there are many technique to this problem such as fill lights, nd filter. it all depends on situation.

In addition, lowering the shutter speed may introduced handshakes. keep that in mind.

Sony has the 55-200 or alternatively you can consider the minolta 70-210 f4 (aks Beercan). google them for more info. you can visit http://www.dyxum.com for reviews. These are the budget telephoto zooms available in the alpha line up.

You are welcome. do read up on photography basics available here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Cheers :bsmilie:

Hi there and welcome :)

Don't feel shy going to outing. Photography is never about equipment! Don't be shy to take out your camera to shoot.

Even if you have a camera phone you can still take good picture.;)

Just keep shooting and eventually you'll be better :)

Oh yah, Galdor, don't think I can join you all tomorrow, I'm down with flu, having running nose, don't think it's right for me to spread my virus to everyone out there /.\""

saw some pictures posted by members, was wondering why the picture bring out the colors so well. did they edit the photos before, or is it originally so enchanting.

one of my friends told me, every person who uses Dslr edit their photo by using external programs so that the colors stand out and the lighting is appropriate. Is it true?

If someone wants to edit their photos, they need to save the photos as RAW file?

I felt this 2 pictures is one of the better ones i took.
Does it look OK ? I did not do anything to it, its original from my saved file.

I took it in Taipei Zoo 2 weeks ago. Using the Sal 1855 Len.

5250810948_f2e5a3cc6f.jpg

5250206713_fc278fb8f2.jpg

Last edited:
saw some pictures posted by members, was wondering why the picture bring out the colors so well. did they edit the photos before, or is it originally so enchanting.

one of my friends told me, every person who uses Dslr edit their photo by using external programs so that the colors stand out and the lighting is appropriate. Is it true?

If someone wants to edit their photos, they need to save the photos as RAW file?

I felt this 2 pictures is one of the better ones i took.
Does it look OK ? I did not do anything to it, its original from my saved file.

I took it in Taipei Zoo 2 weeks ago. Using the Sal 1855 Len.

5250810948_f2e5a3cc6f.jpg

5250206713_fc278fb8f2.jpg
Wow... Stunning :bigeyes: