Noob!

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterboring

Jun 8, 2006
Hello everyone! I just joined here after finding about this place in the Mindef forums (yes it's sad, i'm still in green :rolleyes: ). Kinda surprising to see such a big sg photography forum around.. I didn't know there were so many photographers here. I've been interested in photography for a few years, like I used to take photos on and off with a Coolpix 885, mostly when my family went for holidays overseas, but I only saved up enough to buy a Canon 350D a few months ago. So I'm still kinda new to serious amateur photography.. hope to learn a lot from all you pros out there ;p

As equipment goes, I've only got the 18-55mm kit lens along with a tripod, clear filter and 1gb cf card. I'm planning on getting a dry box soon, but in the meantime I'm making do with a thirsty hippo. Also, any suggestions on a good (and cheap, $350 a month doesn't go very far) telephoto lens to get? I looked at the Canon lenses a while back, and o_O man are they expensive.

How often do you have outings on? It'd be great to watch other more experienced photographers and the way they take photos.. definitely lots to learn there.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I've got a dA site: misterboring.deviantart.com

Hello MisterBoring!!! :D What is MINDEF forums? Maybe I don't know because I'm not from SINGAPORE :)

I enjoy watching photographers in action :):):)

For lens - many may say that this was unneccessary, but I preferred to save up and get a good telephoto zoom lens rather than buy a cheap one with lower performance - because probably after I buy the cheap one, I will want the better one anyway!

Got money, get good lens.

No money, get ok lens, work on skill first. A lens dont make a photographer.

But of cos, a good photographer with good lens will be best.

I student now, so no money to buy good lens.

wildstallion said:
The sigma 70-300 is a very good cheap telephoto lens, im not sure of the price though, i think its around the $300 region

And welcome to CS, have fun!
Last year I buy Sigma 70-300mm at $330 (with GST) grey set at TCW. Tamron 70-300mm is about $200 (inc GST). Both is Macro (not true macro, but good for long distance macro) lens. But quality wise I think Sigma is better.

Regards,
Arto.

Welcome to the site. At least you managed to get your DLSR =p I'm still saving up for mine. I decided to take the plunge with a film slr first after playing with my digital PnS too much.

So far the reccomendations for a budget telephoto are spot on but if you are willing to save you can go for a 70-200 f/4. After trying one I will not go back to the 70-300 hehe...

i not on canon system, so i not very sure. but i guess u can try posting this qns in the canon thread too?

and also browse thru the BnS thread to get good deals!

finally, go and read up on the various canon mount lens, than decide the one u want!

like me, already aiming for lens like the 12-24mm wide and the 18-200mm super zoom. or also can go for 80-200mm f2.8!

but beware of BBB virus in the BnS thread!

forums are good, but if you stay too long on them instead of out shooting - it'll make you think that you NEED the top top top gear.... I admit I'm on the forum more often than I'm out shooting :( I spend more time looking at gear than going shooting.

adamadam said:
Hello MisterBoring!!! :D What is MINDEF forums? Maybe I don't know because I'm not from SINGAPORE :)

I enjoy watching photographers in action :):):)

For lens - many may say that this was unneccessary, but I preferred to save up and get a good telephoto zoom lens rather than buy a cheap one with lower performance - because probably after I buy the cheap one, I will want the better one anyway!

It's the official SAF (army, that is) forum site. Also, it's the only interesting thing we're legally allowed to access on our computers.

What country are you from, then?

zcwnfx said:
Got money, get good lens.

No money, get ok lens, work on skill first. A lens dont make a photographer.

But of cos, a good photographer with good lens will be best.

I student now, so no money to buy good lens.

Likewise. NSF = bo lui :(

I need to go photo shooting more often. Always too lazy -.-

raptor84 said:
Welcome to the site. At least you managed to get your DLSR =p I'm still saving up for mine. I decided to take the plunge with a film slr first after playing with my digital PnS too much.

So far the reccomendations for a budget telephoto are spot on but if you are willing to save you can go for a 70-200 f/4. After trying one I will not go back to the 70-300 hehe...

Haha hello hello! I seem to have happened across your dA site a while back.. fancy seeing you here eh?

Uh sorry if this sounds like a silly question but what brand is the 70-200 f/4? So far from what I've seen, 3rd party lenses are a lot cheaper than Canon ones.. dunno if they're lousier though.

--
And to everyone else, thanks for the advice! I'm in no hurry to go get another lens.. haha perhaps when I'm less broke and more experienced I'll go ask around on the Canon forum.

i would incline to think that the 3rd party ones are of lesser quality. but than, they cost less as well.

so, might be more worth while though. well, i rather get nikkor lens, but than, if cannot afford, than no choice lor!

would to own a nikkor 12-24mm, but i think can only afford the tokina one.

shoot shoot shoot! get some frens and go shoot together!

misterboring said:
Haha hello hello! I seem to have happened across your dA site a while back.. fancy seeing you here eh?

Uh sorry if this sounds like a silly question but what brand is the 70-200 f/4? So far from what I've seen, 3rd party lenses are a lot cheaper than Canon ones.. dunno if they're lousier though.

--
And to everyone else, thanks for the advice! I'm in no hurry to go get another lens.. haha perhaps when I'm less broke and more experienced I'll go ask around on the Canon forum.

The 70-200 f/4 is a canon L lens. One of the best balences for performance/price.

Sigma makes some decent tele zooms too like the 70-300 APO DG Macro and thier 70-200 f/2.8.

I think many people spend too much time thinking about the gear and not enough time shooting. I made the same mistake and surfed the net and bought a lot of lenses. Now i look through my photos and realised they are similar whatever the lens i used. I mainly take photos of my kids. So i sold the telephoto lens and 2x teleconverter and my f2.8 zoom, leaving behind only the kit lens and a 40mm f2 lens. Now i can concentrate on taking the pictures and not worry about what lens to use or buy next.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

Artosoft said:
Last year I buy Sigma 70-300mm at $330 (with GST) grey set at TCW. Tamron 70-300mm is about $200 (inc GST). Both is Macro (not true macro, but good for long distance macro) lens. But quality wise I think Sigma is better.

Regards,
Arto.

just got the same len @ TK for $320 on Wed.non grey set.
but misterboring,it's best that u also get a flashgun too.makes a big diff.

I guess if you want to save money, you can go out shooting and borrow various lens from friends and have a feel of what kind of pics you like. See what kind of range you prefer to shoot and buy a cheap 2nd hand lens to work on your skills. Upgrade only when your skills and pocket warrants it ;)

Hey Dude

Frankly speakin don't worry too much on getting new lenses n stuff if u'r really tight in e $$ dept. Use ur kit len to e max.

Use ur creativity to produce gd photos and learn fm it. Get to noe which kinda photography tat u like e most, whether potraits, landscape, macro, IR .. endless areas. Once u noe tat, then build ur lenses n equipment ard tat. There's lotsa shoots taking place organised by different groups in here. Just join them n have fun.

I tink u shd look into those anti fungal air tight container n use silica gel. Not too sure how effective is that hungry hippo tho.

Yes it is adviasable to shoot with your kit lens first to fnd out what area of photography you like more. Best to have friends who have a nice range for you to play around with. I eded up renting lenses to test them out. Its a small price to pay to be sure if it is what you want..

find frens with same system. than can share! haa haa i did that!

Haha I do have friends who are interested in photography, but none of them are using Canons, so I can't kope lenses :p Meeting up to go take photos is kind of a problem too, cause we're mostly in NS.

Oh, one more question, about how much does a small dry box, say around 20-30L, cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.