Noob with a 550D

thurday87

Sep 11, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi all,

Newbie here, just bought a 550D Kit II at Comex. A friend recommended this site for tips and photo shoots =)

Was wondering what is a good flash for me to buy, esp if i want to take portraits? Am also interested in signing up for some of the shoots, although i think i am not good enough yet.

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Thurdays (Don't mind the spelling error)

Welcome to CS
enjoy your stay.

I'm sure some other senior bros will reply with the links where u can refer to for some tips.

join the outings. U will surely benefit more from learning from other bros. All bros here are more than willing to help a newbie embark on his journey of photography

Welcome Thursday. :) Maybe that's a bit too early. Today's only Monday.:bsmilie:

isn't the 550D awesome! haha, Welcome to CS! :D

Maybe u should play more with ur camera first, and can play with ur pop up flash for the time being. U can always buy ur external flash when u r more comfortable with ur cam : ) Dont rush into buy the flash if ya not in a hurry, borrow one a try it out : )

Hi all,

Newbie here, just bought a 550D Kit II at Comex. A friend recommended this site for tips and photo shoots =)

Was wondering what is a good flash for me to buy, esp if i want to take portraits? Am also interested in signing up for some of the shoots, although i think i am not good enough yet.

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Thurdays (Don't mind the spelling error)

Maybe u should play more with ur camera first, and can play with ur pop up flash for the time being. U can always buy ur external flash when u r more comfortable with ur cam : ) Dont rush into buy the flash if ya not in a hurry, borrow one a try it out : )

Why didn't your friend recommend the recommended stores instead..

dont buy so fast la.. learn to use ur camera, take it out more often shoot at fren's house, shoot at BBQ, shoot at dinner with family.. shoot random on the streets...

familiarise urself till you are comfortable first...

and don't worry, join the beginner outings... no need to be up to a certain level then can register one... just that you need to know ur camera... read the manual enough to know how to adjust settings etc..

if not ppl advise u, then u oso blur....

and when in the future you are more confident, then go borrow a fren's flash or rent one to try out... sometimes you don't even need to use a flash...

Hi, welcome, Don't rush to buy accessories, etc.... until you have mastered your camera at your finger tips. Don't get poision by new cameras.....etc. take time learning so that u don't end up
with a collection.

Thanks to all seniors for being so welcoming and giving such great advice.

Will hold on getting flash for now. Looking forward to meeting everyone at photo shoots soon.

thursday

Welcome to cs :)
I'm also thinking of joining an outing.. hope to see u there!

Welcome Thursday, which means weekend's coming very soon!!!

I can hear your new toy's beckoning you to feel it and explore it all over, please don't disappoint it. Rest can wait :D

Cheers!!!

If you can spare the cash, a Canon 430EX II, should be quite sufficient for portraits.
If you are on a budget, maybe you can look for some third-party flash. There are a few threads on third-party flash in CS.

Some shoots can be quite newbie friendly, depending on who is the organizer. Look around, see which shoot interests you and you can always drop a PM to the organizer to find out out.
If you are interested to join a paid model shoot, I can't advise you on that. ;p

Hope you enjoy your 550D. :)

Thanks again to all.

Will try going for a few shoots to familiarize myself first. Am thinking of going for paid photography training, as recommended by a friend. is it worth it?

Thursday

Thanks again to all.

Will try going for a few shoots to familiarize myself first. Am thinking of going for paid photography training, as recommended by a friend. is it worth it?

Thursday

not at the moment... need to grasp the basics first before you venture further... if you don't understand the concepts and the fundamentals, then you will waste ur time at the paid lessons..

also check carefully the paid lessons thingy, some just teach you what you can otherwise read from ur manual or from online explanations, basic library books etc... don't waste ur money for those...

in fact i've never been to any paid lessons.. the only paid lessons is paying for the traveling to outings, photography shoots etc... and you can learn a whole lot more..

Welcome to CS! I'm also new here :sticktong

It will be good to play ard and learn the basics first, e.g. the relationship between iso, aperture, shutter speed, different combinations will give u different 'feelings' and tonnes of fun :D

as for flash, dun rush into buying, do read up on flash photography first :)

Hi all,

I'm super new to photography. My current cam is an Ixus 550 i think, for the past 4 yrs.. until i tried my bf's cousin's EOS 500D n I love the photos, although not professionally..

Then i saw the 550D. Waz wondering if I should juz get the 500D which is sufficient or shld I get the 550D for long term? Cuz i'm not planning to go into pro photography, juz wanna something better for future travels and whatnots.

Please advise. :)