noob..rescue me part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireZ

Deregistered
Sep 21, 2008
Hi...a question which kept me thinkin over n over again..hunt for it..but..not very sure leh..
hence...
what does "lighting" really refer to?..
temeperature of the light or the brightness of it?...

tried shootin indoor...with home light.though it bright up the subject...but gonna shoot at low shutter speed...whereas wif flash, can shoot at higher speed.
So, can i assume tat, to freeze a movement the temperature of light must be high?

another question is, wanna do this "better bounce card"...any1 idea where to get the material? If i didn't hear wrongly...is a foam sheet quality which is bendable. tried popular but couldn't find it..
http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

3rd question. When using tele-zoom to shoot 2 persons. wat's the recommended aperture? i shot it with f7.1 with centre AF. all e subjects on the left are sharp whereas the 1 at the right isn't. is it due to calibration or higher aperture require???

sorry for all questions...pardon me if question posted b4. jus tat..didn't manage to search it out...
do kindly share your knowledge here as i believe, all these are questions tat noob like me tend to stuck with reduce progress rate...

Sunday Morning Cheers..
Bless...:angel:

what does "lighting" really refer to?..
temeperature of the light or the brightness of it?...
it depends, sometimes people say lighting, they talk about temperature of light,

sometimes they talk about brightness, you have to see the context.
tried shootin indoor...with home light.though it bright up the subject...but gonna shoot at low shutter speed...whereas wif flash, can shoot at higher speed.
So, can i assume tat, to freeze a movement the temperature of light must be high?

temperature of light has nothing to do with this, it is the AMOUNT OF LIGHT.

if the light is low, then you usually need a longer shutter speed, the flash INTRODUCES light into the environment artificially, therefore reducing the need for a long shutter speed.

color temperature has more to do with the light source, for example, the sun is going to be warmer than fluorescent lighting, which is warmer than tungsten lighting.
another question is, wanna do this "better bounce card"...any1 idea where to get the material? If i didn't hear wrongly...is a foam sheet quality which is bendable. tried popular but couldn't find it..
http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

you can easily just use cardboard, don't really need foam sheets, to be honest, how a bounce card works is that it provides a white surface for the light to be boucned off and diffuse.
3rd question. When using tele-zoom to shoot 2 persons. wat's the recommended aperture? i shot it with f7.1 with centre AF. all e subjects on the left are sharp whereas the 1 at the right isn't. is it due to calibration or higher aperture require???

there is no recommended aperture, if you want both sharply in focus, very simple, you can shoot at f/2.8 even, just put them in the same plane relative to your camera. if you do not understand what i mean, go to NEWBIES CORNER , click on ARTICLES AND GUIDE, and read sulhan's photographic notes. or you can buy his book at riceball funan or ms colour, i am quite sure there will be something inside on this.

happy reading.

For lighting or exposure question, you need to refer to photographic related books with title bearing word "lighting" or "exposure" at Riceball or Page One or Kinokuniya Orchard. These books should answer most of your questions after you've read the books. Choose from one that is easy to understand.

To photograph well two persons in a picture, you need to look up the term "depth of field" or DOF. There is a practical to depth of field when one standing too far behind from the other. :)

If you really want to read something very focused on lighting, try this one: http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240107823&sr=8-1. Otherwise, many photography books will have at least a chapter or two to give you a general idea.

For the betterbouncecard material, you can find it at Art Friends in Bras Brasah or Ngee Ann City, it's this A4 sized foam sheet.

Nothing to do with calibration, that's Depth of Field (DOF). DOF defines the range from the focal point (where your AF has locked) towards back and front that is still (acceptable) sharp. Everything closer to you or behind the focal point will be blur. DOF depends on aperture.
More to read here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm and in the Newbies Guide to Photography (see Newbies Corner, sticky thread).
Calibration might be a remark that somebody has made with reference to a possible Front Focusing or Back Focusing error. But user errors are more common than such focusing errors and should be considered first before calling for calibration. If you indeed suspect a lens problem than get a Focus Test Chart (download and print), read the instructions properly and do your own tests. Do post the images for verification here before jumping to conclusions.

Hi all...
now then get the chance to read up e replies...
very appreciation wif the replies...i'll check up according all the suggestions..
once again...thanks!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.