noob questions

kindaichi83

Jun 11, 2011
Yoz all..

i just gotten my first DSLR... a Canon 600D:)

hoping the experts here can help me with some questions...

1) iszzit ok to store the camera in their original packaging.... bubble warp and all? I heard it will encourage fungus growth as the air will be stagnant?

2) I know I prob shd invest in a dry cabinet but I am going over to the UK soon... only for a yr or so... will definitely bring my camera over but I don't think I will bring a cabinet over... prob will bring my dry box over...

but iszzit ok to store under such conditions for a yr or so (outside) if using frequently?

3) I have a dry box from the vendor and it says 80% humidity... the silica seems to be not working well... but i am keeping everything in box and such... so iszzit ok? or shd i immediately go n invest a dry cabinet? coz by putting in the box.. i realize i have no more space for the addition lens I brought... 3 mths out in the air shd be no problem if I keep in original packaging?

Not very sure of all this and I am interested in protecting my precious... please offer advice on how to take care of camera...

many thanks!

kindaichi83 said:
Yoz all..

1) iszzit ok to store the camera in their original packaging.... bubble warp and all? I heard it will encourage fungus growth as the air will be stagnant?

2) I know I prob shd invest in a dry cabinet but I am going over to the UK soon... only for a yr or so... will definitely bring my camera over but I don't think I will bring a cabinet over... prob will bring my dry box over...

but iszzit ok to store under such conditions for a yr or so (outside) if using frequently?

3) I have a dry box from the vendor and it says 80% humidity... the silica seems to be not working well... but i am keeping everything in box and such... so iszzit ok? or shd i immediately go n invest a dry cabinet? coz by putting in the box.. i realize i have no more space for the addition lens I brought... 3 mths out in the air shd be no problem if I keep in original packaging?

Not very sure of all this and I am interested in protecting my precious... please offer advice on how to take care of camera...

many thanks!

First thing is not to treat yr camera as precious. Just make sure it's clean and avoid dropping it. A little scratch here and there adds character;)

You already have a dry box, try to use that for the moment, dont keep it in the cardboard box. Leave the silica gel overnight to see if the RH drops, if it doesn't it might mean that the box is not airtight and moisture is seeping in.

Congrats on getting your new cam. Don't treat it too much like a precious although you should take good care of it. Use it normally. Try to read up on dry box and you should manage well.

Yoz all..

many thanks!

As long as you regularly check on the silicas and take good care of the camera, it's alright.

many thanks...

so do i need to keep it in the bubble wrap? the humidity is dropping to 70%...

hoping to take some great fotos soon!

kindaichi83 said:
many thanks...

No need for bubble wrap unless you plan on swinging your dry box around :bsmilie:

many thanks...

don't have to lar....even if the camera gets alittle wet under the rain, just give it a good wipe and store in the box/cabinet. The bubble wrap was there to absorb/reduce possible impact from handling and not absorb moisture:sweat:

I usually just keep my camera in my camera bag since i bring it out with me on a daily basis. A simple Damp-cloth wipe down to get the day's accumulation of sweat and grime off has been enough for me for the last 2 years. But if i do not use it for extended periods of time, i usually keep it in a dry cab. I do have some gel silica in my camera bag though.

hmm its always good to get a dry cabinet, saves all the troubles =)

Yoz all..

many thanks!

I think not necessary to treat your camera like its made of tofu ;)

as for humidity... you mentioned that you'll be going over to the UK for a year or so. Not sure what the humidity is like over there. I assume that for most/all of the year, it will be significantly lower than it is in Singapore. Provided you use your DSLR with some regularity whilst you're over there, keeping it fungus-free should not be too much of an issue.

So your current dry box shows humidity at 80%? That's like outside air liao
Is there a way you can heat up the silica gel in order to 'reactivate' it again? Or maybe you need to buy some and replace...

1) The packaging is for transport and protection during this time. It's not meant for storage, unless you put in some new Silica gel packs.
2) Average humidity in UK is lower, although it can fluctuate and also reach 100%. But your camera was designed to handle tougher conditions, don't worry too much. During summer time RH is quite low, in Winter time, inside heated buildings it's the same. Put your cam on open shelf when not used, done.