[noob] questions on lens adapters

wasedr

Jan 29, 2014
SG
Hi, i just bought my first mirrorless camera, x-m1. Then i head on to purchase a len adapter to fit my dad's sony alpha lens. On the item description, it mentioned that no auto focus, requires manual focus.

I would like to ask if all lens loses auto focus capability after going through an adapter?

What are the differences between buying expensive adapters from the stores vs those china made sold on ebay?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
im using on micro 4/3rds..all no AF.all manual.

and..i use all china made ones. all works fine.

and...stores orders in bulk and sell them ex to us consumers..

but then..u gotta wait like weeks(2) to get to arrive here.lol..

I would like to ask if all lens loses auto focus compability after going through an adapter?

What are the differences between buying expensive adapters from the stores vs those china made sold on ebay?

Thanks in advance!

In general, yes. Most of these adapters are purely mechanical, with no electronic contacts.

There are a few which have been designed to pass-through the electronic communication, but they are fairly uncommon. This probably depends on whether there's a large enough market for the particular lenses/bodies involved, and whether they've been able to reverse engineer it.

The black Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Camera Lens Mount Adapter III from Metabones attaches a Canon EF lens to a Sony NEX camera. It is referred to as a "Smart Adapter" because it retains electronic communication between the camera and lens and therefore provides automatic aperture control, EXIF data, image stabilization and autofocus. The adapter is powered by the camera body, no external power source is required.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983747-REG/metabones_mb_ef_e_bm3_canon_ef_to_e_mount_nex.html

Thanks in advance!

Depends on how 'expensive' you are talking. Like Hinata76 mentioned, sometimes what you find in stores are the same generic MIC adapters that you can find on ebay, but marked up to account for overheads and profit (rightfully so). Plus point is that you don't have to wait for it to slowly make its way to you if you're impatient, and if they allow you to test it in the shop, you can make sure you get a good piece.

If you're referring to those made by brands like Metabones and Novoflex vs those generic MIC adapters, the differences may be in
- build quality
- tighter tolerances
- additional features like focus confirmation, exposure metering

That said, a lot of us get by with inexpensive no-frills MIC adapters which are pretty decently built too.
I've personally only bought one adapter so far and the build was good, fit was tight, no play, etc. Got from an ebay seller which was quite recommended on some forums, for the particular adapter I was looking to get (F-mount to m43). If you want to go the ebay route, you may want to try to look up available reviews for recommended sellers for the one you're looking to get.

Last edited:
Awesome, thx!! Hence, i should try and look out for the retain electronic communication feature!

I was browsing metabones, noticed there are adapters and speed booster.. speed booster acts as an adapter with enhancing the lens' capability? Did i understood it correctly?

I was browsing metabones, noticed there are adapters and speed booster.. speed booster acts as an adapter with enhancing the lens' capability? Did i understood it correctly?

Normal adaptors are made to allow you to mount brand-y lens onto a brand-x mount.

Speed boosters are adaptors with optical glass within to allow you the capability to render the image with no crop factor

Speed boosters were designed for APS-C cameras and will only work with these cameras. With an APS-C sensor, you are not able to get the intended angle of view full frame lenses give due to the crop factor. Speed boosters, in essence, reverse this crop factor. So a 50mm lens remains as 50mm on an APS-C camera.

Ah~ thanks! Took me sometime to try and understand you.. in simple terms, with the speed booster, i will expect 'lesser' zoom in the photos?

Ah~ thanks! Took me sometime to try and understand you.. in simple terms, with the speed booster, i will expect 'lesser' zoom in the photos?

In layman terms, yes you'll get lesser "zoom".

Your angle of view will be wider

Speed boosters were designed for APS-C cameras and will only work with these cameras. With an APS-C sensor, you are not able to get the intended angle of view full frame lenses give due to the crop factor. Speed boosters, in essence, reverse this crop factor. So a 50mm lens remains as 50mm on an APS-C camera.

More than that... since the adapter is focusing a FF's lens worth of light into the APS-C sensor, you get roughly 1 additional stop of light. If you were to use ISO 1600, now you only have to use ISO 800 with speed booster.

The crop factor is actually 1.07, or around there. Distance determines DOF and perspective distortion. So when the FOV is wider, you go closer resulting in lesser DOF in agar agar the "same" framing.

Last edited:
So i actually get a full frame after that?

So i actually get a full frame after that?

No... the sensor size is still the same, you just get the same (actual) focal length of the lens when calculated in 35mm FF, however the details and resolution, etc that you have are still equal to what your sensor could give you.

No... the sensor size is still the same, you just get the same (actual) focal length of the lens when calculated in 35mm FF, however the details and resolution, etc that you have are still equal to what your sensor could give you.

Thanks!! Got it totally!

I have another question, tot should reuse this thread.. i am looking at extension tubes to achieve marco photography, however those tubes im looking at doesnt have electronic communication.

The problem is my fujifilm fc-mount kit len doesnt have an aperture ring on the len, hence, i foresee that that i wont be able to adjust it. What will be the aperture be for this case? The max? F3.5 for 16mm and decreases to f5.5 as zoom?

Last edited:
I have another question, tot should reuse this thread.. i am looking at extension tubes to achieve marco photography, however those tubes im looking at doesnt have electronic communication.

The problem is my fujifilm fc-mount kit len doesnt have an aperture ring on the len, hence, i foresee that that i wont be able to adjust it. What will be the aperture be for this case? The max? F3.5 for 16mm and decreases to f5.5 as zoom?

Search online and you can find examples of auto extension tubes like this one but read reviews first.Should be able to get something similar locally.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-Extension-Fujfifilm-Camera-X-Pro1/dp/B00DFPOV3Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_1

Alternatively you can use X mount adapter for legacy lenses for manual and non electronic extension tubes.

Last edited: