noob question on studio

aphro6677

Jul 18, 2006
dear pros,

I've just set up my own home studio using strobe light and realized that the lighting was quite ok. the only problem I had was the blurry image that I have received. almost 70% of my photos need editing. anyone can kindly advise me on what's going wrong? thanks so much below are the specs I used.

dslr nikon d5100 with kit lens
2 x 300w strobe with soft box
focal length at 26mm
f8 1/125 iso 200
auto focus

Last edited:

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
dear pros,

I've just set up my own home studio using strobe light and realized that the lighting was quite ok. the only problem I had was the blurry image that I have received. almost 70% of my photos need editing. anyone can kindly advise me on what's going wrong? thanks so much below are the specs I used.

dslr nikon d5100 with kit lens
2 x 300w strobe with soft box
focal length at 24mm
f9 1/125 iso 200
auto focus
Can you post a blurry picture up here so we can see what is the problem?

aphro6677

Jul 18, 2006
phototaking people... slight movement.

David Kwok

Aug 23, 2008
Singapore
www.flickr.com
i cant upload the file to this forum.

pls see the image at http://www.sendspace.com/file/iis27x
The pic indeed looks soft at 1/125, it shouldn't be due to movement since even the shoes look soft. Only f/8, shouldn't be diffraction or softness in the lens too, in any case, diffraction doesn't looks like this kind of soft.

1) Do you have any filter in front of your lens ?
2) Did you used any software creative filter used in your camera during the shot ?

Curious, do external strobe have slow sync mode, or also known as rear curtain and it's activated ?

I saw in your EXIF that under the Flash parameter, it indicated "Flash did not fire". Are you using continuous light source ? The symptoms of the soft effect looks like movement during flash.

Last edited:

aphro6677

Jul 18, 2006
The pic indeed looks soft at 1/125, it shouldn't be due to movement since even the shoes look soft. Only f/8, shouldn't be diffraction or softness in the lens too, in any case, diffraction doesn't looks like this kind of soft.

1) Do you have any filter in front of your lens ?
2) Did you used any software creative filter used in your camera during the shot ?

Curious, do external strobe have slow sync mode, or also known as rear curtain and it's activated ?

I saw in your EXIF that under the Flash parameter, it indicated "Flash did not fire". Are you using continuous light source ? The symptoms of the soft effect looks like movement during flash.
1) nope, no filter
2) no software creative filter also

i dont believe my external strobe has this function. i bought it used from another cser. a simple strobe with only on/off switch and test button

i was using manual mode for my d5100 and adjusted the flash setting to no flash. no continous light. there was slight movement from the model only. almost 70% of my photos came out to be soft and im mostly using a tripod throughout the shoot

genobee kai

Sep 4, 2010
Were you using VR on tripod?

aphro6677

Jul 18, 2006
ya. vr was on

aphro6677

Jul 18, 2006
wow thanks! will try offing it fo my nxt shoot ^_^

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
wow thanks! will try offing it fo my nxt shoot ^_^
Also... if you are in a studio environment, you control all the lights. you also control all the settings...

Even if you are shooting without a tripod, why do you even need VR?

ZerocoolAstra

Mar 13, 2008
rainy Singapore
I really don't know if VR can have such a pronounced negative impact on a photo.

Have even shot long exposure with VR mistakenly left on, and no huge adverse effect observed. So to get this kind of blur at 1/125s? Hmmmmm... :think: I don't know...

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
I really don't know if VR can have such a pronounced negative impact on a photo.

Have even shot long exposure with VR mistakenly left on, and no huge adverse effect observed. So to get this kind of blur at 1/125s? Hmmmmm... :think: I don't know...
Depends on the version of the VR la bro... yours is VR2 leh, it will sense if it is on a tripod.

ZerocoolAstra

Mar 13, 2008
rainy Singapore
Depends on the version of the VR la bro... yours is VR2 leh, it will sense if it is on a tripod.
ok point taken...
but 1/125s and that kind of blurring....

Is it possible that it is a problem of mis-focus instead?

aphro6677

Jul 18, 2006
I've tried it with vr off now. helps alot. but still not the sharpness I want. especially on the eyes. I used af-s. should I use manual focus instead? 18-55 kit lens can provide very sharp photos? or do u need to change other lens?

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
I've tried it with vr off now. helps alot. but still not the sharpness I want. especially on the eyes. I used af-s. should I use manual focus instead? 18-55 kit lens can provide very sharp photos? or do u need to change other lens?
You should not need any other lens - The kit lens it actually good enough. What if you shoot outdoors, etc? Still have soft pics?

LFC25

Mar 20, 2011
If you take RAW then the pics need sharpening in post-pocessing.