Noob qn on Canon 17-85 IS USM

Status
Not open for further replies.

munkey

Apr 25, 2007
Hi all are welcomed to answer this post especially the owners of this lens themselves,
The Canon 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS USM lens i am referring to.

Honestly, who will actually buy a lens like this? It does not come cheap, ~$1500 and even still, it isnt a particularly fast lens, (4-5.6) considering tamron has one f/2.8 at a fraction of the cost. In fact, i dont think picture sharpness is a justifyable reason given how slow the lens is, which will be a pain to work with.

Can someone please elaborate?

Got mine at $8xx from Bally in Funan...

It's a good lens for travel and covers very useful range. It's sharp enough for my needs.

IIRC, Tamron is 17-70mm no IS?

Hi i think you made a mistake.Its the 17-55 F2.8 IS that costs ~$1500.Its a constant F2.8 with image stabilizer.The 17-85IS is only bout 800+
btw theres no tamron 17-70 IIRC.Only sigma has that range

Hi all are welcomed to answer this post especially the owners of this lens themselves,
The Canon 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS USM lens i am referring to.

Honestly, who will actually buy a lens like this? It does not come cheap, ~$1500 and even still, it isnt a particularly fast lens, (4-5.6) considering tamron has one f/2.8 at a fraction of the cost. In fact, i dont think picture sharpness is a justifyable reason given how slow the lens is, which will be a pain to work with.

Can someone please elaborate?

Got a piece of it some time ago..

haven tried much except for some night shots.

So far can only say IS really works, but IQ so-so. Barrel distortion at 17mm is very obvious.

while this lens isnt great (IQ, sharpness, barrel distortion, CA, etc) it has a very usable range, light weight and IS. this makes for a great walk around lens. Plus the lens is relatively cheap.

i wish canon would make a 17-70 2.8 IS. the range is pretty much the only thing keeping me from upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.