Noob : Pentax K-x Lens upgrade

reallygong

Mar 10, 2010
Some where in West
Hello,

I am a newbie and my very first DSLR camera is Pentax K-x which I bough in early 2010 after reading much review and good recommendation. I have listen to the old birds in this forum that do not get the newbie disease in buying many lenses. Good man as I do and I really listen an I keep using my dual kit lenses until now.

I have been taking video and photos but I do realized that my video is full of noise and it's terrible. No matter how hard I try to solve this problem.

I am thinking to get a 2nd hand prime/fast lens. Thinking to get an old manual Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 M42 lens. Does it work with my Pentax K-x? Do I need additional mount to fit in my K-x? My budget is less then $150. or anyone can recommend other fast lens for me. I prefer 50mm lenses.

Thanks in advance for your kind advise.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am a newbie and my very first DSLR camera is Pentax K-x which I bough in early 2010 after reading much review and good recommendation. I have listen to the old birds in this forum that do not get the newbie disease in buying many lenses. Good man as I do and I really listen an I keep using my dual kit lenses until now.

I have been taking video and photos but I do realized that my video is full of noise and it's terrible. No matter how hard I try to solve this problem.

I am thinking to get a 2nd hand prime/fast lens. Thinking to get an old manual Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 M42 lens. Does it work with my Pentax K-x? Do I need additional mount to fit in my K-x? My budget is less then $150. or anyone can recommend other fast lens for me. I prefer 50mm lenses.

Thanks in advance for your kind advise.

Regards.

hi bro,

like u, i am a noob who entered the world of photography via a black portal known as k-x.

do you want to be more specalized in photography or videography? if its video i wouldnt be able to help but so far (if i recall correctly), videography is not pentax's forte

for photography, as an amateur, i would use something that can give me aperature priority

i highly recommend the A series, iirc A50/1.7 or A50/2 can be had for <$150sgd.

the Super Tak m42 lens u mentioned can be adapted to fit your k-x via a k-m42 mount adapter. these can be found for about $30/piece for the better quality ones.. feng wei used to bring in some

cheers, enjoy ur photog journey and please share more photos

Limiting factor is the k-x for video wise.. Even if you go up to the K-5s I don't think it will help much.

Buy the m42 lens :$150 + $30 adaptor = $180 not much change and shooting video with f1.4 is pretty tough given K-x lcd is small
Buy the aforementioned A lens: $150ish
Go Micro 4/3: $600-1000 used with great lens like 20 f1.7 and sell off k-x body ($120-170?), going away from Pentax but at least video are much improved

Forget about the noise: $Nil

hi bro,

like u, i am a noob who entered the world of photography via a black portal known as k-x.

do you want to be more specalized in photography or videography? if its video i wouldnt be able to help but so far (if i recall correctly), videography is not pentax's forte

for photography, as an amateur, i would use something that can give me aperature priority

i highly recommend the A series, iirc A50/1.7 or A50/2 can be had for <$150sgd.

the Super Tak m42 lens u mentioned can be adapted to fit your k-x via a k-m42 mount adapter. these can be found for about $30/piece for the better quality ones.. feng wei used to bring in some

cheers, enjoy ur photog journey and please share more photos

Thanks for the reply.

I use mainly for photography but recently want to take more video for my kids and they love viewing those home-made video we made together. So after much research, my problem is the kit lens. I have been tempted to buy a prime lens since the 1st month after getting my K-x but I hold it back until I am familiar with photography. Unfortunately I do not have much time to take lots of photography/videography as I wanted. Now, I think i should get a 2nd hand prime lens that within my budget of below $150 which versatile enough for both photography and videography.

Limiting factor is the k-x for video wise.. Even if you go up to the K-5s I don't think it will help much.

Buy the m42 lens :$150 + $30 adaptor = $180 not much change and shooting video with f1.4 is pretty tough given K-x lcd is small
Buy the aforementioned A lens: $150ish
Go Micro 4/3: $600-1000 used with great lens like 20 f1.7 and sell off k-x body ($120-170?), going away from Pentax but at least video are much improved

Forget about the noise: $Nil

Hahahah~~ I was thinking to move to Panasonic GH2 but after looking at my Pentax K-x, I am really sad to part with it. I paid 11xx and is going to sell below $200? I think i will stick with it.

Here a video I came across 2 years ago and I still loving it. Shot with Pentax K-x Pentax K-x: The Good Samaritan - YouTube

I can understand how you feel paying retail and not wanted to part with it, maybe keep the k-x and let your children to play with it and upgrade to a better substitute.

Calculating such cost are based on opportunity cost (don't need to follow this, its my main excuse to get more expensive stuff hehe), what can you buy with the same money (or adding a bit more) to get something much better.

I'd guess if you want to get those result in the video, i think any old K-mount primes will suffice, but you can't complain about the noise either !

Look out for a cheap old prime and be satisfied :)

You meant ur video is full of noise? Did you meant the picture/video quality?

Or is it the sound???

I can understand how you feel paying retail and not wanted to part with it, maybe keep the k-x and let your children to play with it and upgrade to a better substitute.

Calculating such cost are based on opportunity cost (don't need to follow this, its my main excuse to get more expensive stuff hehe), what can you buy with the same money (or adding a bit more) to get something much better.

I'd guess if you want to get those result in the video, i think any old K-mount primes will suffice, but you can't complain about the noise either !

Look out for a cheap old prime and be satisfied :)

Hahahah~~ I was thinking to move to Panasonic GH2 but after looking at my Pentax K-x, I am really sad to part with it. I paid 11xx and is going to sell below $200? I think i will stick with it.

Here a video I came across 2 years ago and I still loving it. Shot with Pentax K-x Pentax K-x: The Good Samaritan - YouTube

The new K30 has wonderful video as I have tried it and it can run until the SD card runs out. There is a thread talking about it and the price at the moment is worth to upgrade to.

I used to have kx, does it happens at night,

in indoor lights, it is still fine, maybe I use my M50mm f1.4 lens most for video, for kit lens, the aperture is like f4, that is 3 stop slower than f1.4.

I recommend native k mount lens, like K 50mm f1.4, M 50mm f1.4, or M50mm f1.7, A50mm f1.7, < 150 sgd. A 50mm f1.4 like <200

if you like AF, just get the DA 50mm f1.8. < 300 sgd

the M42 miss a lot feature, like no-need stop down mettering. and adapter costs as well, just get native K mount, newer than M42 mount and better build and optical in most case.

Last edited:
You meant ur video is full of noise? Did you meant the picture/video quality?

Or is it the sound???

Video is full of grain/noise. I do not use the audio from the Camera. So the audio noise is not an issue for me even tho lots of people complain about the audio noise in video mode.

I have tried the Set to "P" mode and press the AF button to lock the shuttle speed and move to the Video mode. I still having the same problem. I have also tried Auto ISO and Manual set ISO and the result is the same. I have tried the manual Aperture setting in the video mode as well but in door shooting it's full of grain/noise as well. Most of the comment I got is Prime Lens is the only way to go if I want to stick with my beloved Pentax K-x.

So far the photo quality I am happy even I am shooting with Kit lens. I did some PS and the photos came out kind of good for our own viewing. So I am keen to get a 2nd hand decent prime lens for both video and photography in Pentax K-x.

TS, best advise, sell of KX for $200, then combined with your budget of $150 = $350.

$350, grab a used/2nd hand K-01 from here via BnS.. ;)

Problem solved...

TS, best advise, sell of KX for $200, then combined with your budget of $150 = $350.

Problem solved...

that is what I did.

Problem solved...

Love this idea. Will give it a thought. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
that is what I did.

When you are shooting in video do you face the rolling shutter/'jello cam problem often with handheld?

Pentax K-01 Review: Digital Photography Review

The sample video 2 got terrible rolling shutter. If you turn off the shake reduction while handheld and fast pan do you have the problem?

When you are shooting in video do you face the rolling shutter/'jello cam problem often with handheld?

Pentax K-01 Review: Digital Photography Review

The sample video 2 got terrible rolling shutter. If you turn off the shake reduction while handheld and fast pan do you have the problem?

of course, because video 2 is using a telephoto lens, the shaking will be magnified, even compact super zoom has this issue.

yes, i turn off shake reduction in video for both Kx and K01, as this feature is a bit super active.