Noob need recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingZer0

Jan 4, 2007
Hi Folks.....

Noob needs advice.....I need to get a compact cam......prefer good at low light or night shooting..... budget not more than sgd$600 and cam to recommend?

First wanted to get a Sony...but most of my collegues told me not to waste $$$

how abt Panasonic TZ11?

tks guys :D

Hi Folks.....

Noob needs advice.....I need to get a compact cam......prefer good at low light or night shooting..... budget not more than sgd$600 and cam to recommend?

how abt Panasonic TZ11?

you can already get a very good compact cam for $600. Unfortunately, there is no right or wrong per se. people from different camps (sony, panasonic, leica, canon, etc.) will say their brand is good. Even I have a biased towards Olympus.

I think the best way to decide is for you to list down, which features you want. The way I'd do it, is to list down the essential features (the "must-haves") on one column, and on another column the nice-to-have features (the ones that are not so critical). From there you can do a comparison shopping.

Also, don't listen to what the salesperson tells you. They usually tell you anything just to sell a certain brand. Do you research first. Read the reviews. And finally go to the store to test out the actual unit.

Another tip, is to read up on the technologies that each brand offers, because most of the time they're the same feature but with another name. For example:

ASR - Anti Shake Reduction (Samsung)
IS - Image Stabilizer (Olympus and Canon)
VR - Vibration Reduction (Nikon)
SteadyShot - (Sony)

are all similar technologies that reduce camera shake (hence reduce blurring in photos).

Hi Folks.....

how abt Panasonic TZ11?

It will be impossible to perform well at low light using proconsumer, not to mention PnS. You'll need a tripod even with a proconsumer, unless that PnS has got a manual mode.

checkers my low light meaning at nite........still got street lamps not darkness in the bush :D

fuji f100fd? im sure most will agree with fuji sensor low-light capabilities. if you can top up another $100, maybe the panasonic LX3, sensor not as good, but the lens is superb at gathering light f2.0-2.8 and is wider than the fuji at 24mm. both has got stabiliser built-in. :thumbsup:

Hi Folks.....

how abt Panasonic TZ11?

Panasonic is horrible in low-light situations. If your budget does not allow for a sony W300, get a Fujifilm instead.

Most compact digicams have horrible low light performance. At ISOs of 400 and above, the images taken in low light or at night are barely usable if you print anything more than 4R size. I'm speaking from personal experience having used Olympus, Fujifilm, Canon and Sony compact cameras over the years.

The Fuji FXXXD series are fantastic cameras for high ISO pics. The lower end Fujis are crap and sama-sama with the rest mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.