noob looking for his first dSLR cam! please help!~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfbatzap

Jan 24, 2007
Tampines
hi!

I've been saving for a long time now to get a new dSLR camera. I used to play around with a SLR camera last time and I loved using manual function, hence I chose to get a new dSLR. But I can't really choose what camera should I get?!

My budget is around $800 - 1k (1k is a very tight budget, so try not to ask me to get more than that even if it's like $30 more LOL!) I've a list of cameras in mind but I can't really choose.

1st choice: Canon 350D
2nd choice: Canon D40 or 2nd hand D70
3rd choice: 2nd hand Canon 10D (saw some goin for $900)
4th choice: 2nd hand 300D body and non-kit lens?

I'm more to taking pic of architecture, landscape and at times portrait. Is a canon 10D better than a 350D? I'm really a noob when it comes to the differences in digital cameras. LOL.

I need help! haha please advice! Thanks in advance! ;)

Since you already have some experience with a SLR, I would recommend that you go for a 2nd hand 10D. You'll appreciate the better built and despite its age, is still a very capable camera.

thanks for the insight! is it difficult to get a lens for the 10D if I were to get an upgrade next time?

btw, what is the street price for 350D? Like not many places selling it anymore.

and if i were to get a 10D or any 2nd hand dSLR for that matter, (since it's a very old camera already and it's subjected to wear and tear) what should I look out for? Coz i've already spent almost a year saving for this buy and I really don't want to loose money at all! hahaha

A 10D will serve you well... it has served me well! =)

Look out for cracks along the body... check the pop-up flash that is isnt yellowish(pale yellow should be fine) click a number of times to make sure the shutter doesnt have any problems. focus through every af points individually...

These are just some of the points i would look out for.

hi!

I've been saving for a long time now to get a new dSLR camera. I used to play around with a SLR camera last time and I loved using manual function, hence I chose to get a new dSLR. But I can't really choose what camera should I get?!

My budget is around $800 - 1k (1k is a very tight budget, so try not to ask me to get more than that even if it's like $30 more LOL!) I've a list of cameras in mind but I can't really choose.

1st choice: Canon 350D
2nd choice: Canon D40 or 2nd hand D70
3rd choice: 2nd hand Canon 10D (saw some goin for $900)
4th choice: 2nd hand 300D body and non-kit lens?

I'm more to taking pic of architecture, landscape and at times portrait. Is a canon 10D better than a 350D? I'm really a noob when it comes to the differences in digital cameras. LOL.

I need help! haha please advice! Thanks in advance! ;)

for the first choice you got here is that the shop camera workshop is selling $9**/-.why don't you go and check it out before you decid any thing.;)

thanks guys for the feedbacks!
do shops let you try cameras w/o purchasing? I feel kinda bad though haha..

i read about grey sets in some of the threads..
i should look out for such sets if i'm getting the 350D right?

thanks guys for the feedbacks!
do shops let you try cameras w/o purchasing? I feel kinda bad though haha..

i read about grey sets in some of the threads..
i should look out for such sets if i'm getting the 350D right?

Any reputable camera shop should have no problems with letting customers try without buying. They should understand the nature of the product they are selling and that it is not a trivial amount of money that the customer is about to spend.

Having said that, any serious and responsible customer should do as much research as possible about what in particular they want to try out before going to any shop and occupying the salesperson's time, that is, is it, for example, the ergonomics you are trying out, or is it specific features you would like to see in action. It makes for a better experience all round than simply trying for the sake of trying.

Based on your budget, you should consider Nikon D40.

Based on your budget, you should consider Nikon D40.

Except he can only autofocus using AF-S or AF-I lenses, which are expensive. And the D40 has a cheap, toy-like build.

I'd say got for the 350D. MS color still has an unopened, b-new kit for sale.

Get d Nikon D40 for $890 w kit lens frm Joe"Oracle" :thumbsup:

Get d Nikon D40 for $890 w kit lens frm Joe"Oracle" :thumbsup:

nono...buy canon 350D...its trust by professional...he going to spend more cause nikon got few lens he cannot use also...

I would think that a photographer with SLR experience would prefer the more functionable D70 compare to the more "auto" D40 if he was to pick Nikon. Plus the restriction in lenses is a disadvantage already. My suggestion is either a 2nd hand D70 or 2nd hand 10D. If not, save up more and get the 80D or 400D or 20D/30D.

to me i would not consider d40 due to its limited lens selection. i suggest u either get the canon 350d or a second hand d50 or d70s. these r excellent entry level dslrs which will allow u lots of room to grow.

Eeeh... just get a second-hand A100. :)

Lol. A-100 has only been launched for a few months. There are already ppl selling it. It tells you something about the camera / system. Don't you think so?

Status
Not open for further replies.