[NOOB] Depth of Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

refraXion

Mar 24, 2008
Hougang
I'm slightly confused over this concept and hope to gain some understanding from all my seniors over here. I'm thinking this confusion is a result of me mixing two concepts of "different frequencies" together and as a result failing to piece two sets of understandings together, so I hope I could be brought back to the right tracks again. :)

Quote from DPReview:

Lenses with shorter focal lengths produce images with larger DOF. For instance, a 28mm lens at f/5.6 produces images with a greater depth of field than a 70mm lens at the same aperture.

I've also noticed that in macro photography — which is an application that often requires shallow DOF if I'm not wrong — it is preferred to shoot at the telephoto end. Putting aside the more practical/execution issues such as wanting to shoot from a distance to prevent scaring the insects and animals (or if it helps, imagine the case that I want to shoot an inanimate object for practice/abstract purposes), does telephoto also help to give that desired DOF?

My train of thought is as such: consider the case that I wanted to take a picture of a subject at a given size with a shallow DOF. By basic principle of DOF, if I want to have a greater blurring of the background, I should decrease the distance between the subject and my camera, as well as increase the distance between the subject and the background, keeping all other things constant.

However, after I "zoom in" on my subject, I have to move back further than if I were to shoot the same subject at the wider end, in order to obtain that same given size. Doing so effectively violates my basic understanding of obtaining a shallow DOF as stated in the previous photograph. So why is shooting telephoto preferred?

Having said that, to complicate matters further: some lens have higher F-numbers when at their telephoto ends. So using telephoto would mean using a larger F-number while at the same time increasing subject-camera distance.

To give a concrete example with figures: would shooting at 35mm f/2.8 or 140mm f/4 be better to give the desired shallow DOF?

Granted, in this case the F-numbers are different so it's no longer about the focal length only, but since shorter focal lengths (35mm in this case) provide greater DOF, does the f/2.8 of 35mm more than compensate to give a shallow DOF compared to f/4 at 140mm? Don't really know how to phrase this, hope it isn't too confusing!

Sorry for the long read, I thought it was better to describe my question in greater detail. :)

Not sure if I understand your question correctly.
You've mentioned 3 variables, f-number, focal length & object distance.
All statements that you've mentioned about DOF are true, when 2 variables are fixed and changing the other one.

To simplify a bit, when you combine the focal length & object distance, DOF change according to "magnification". Means if you're using same f-number, no matter what focal length & distance you adjust, if the size is the same on your viewfinder or image sensor, the DOF is about the same. This is not 100% true but rather close.

Hope this help.

Thanks for your replies and the link to the very useful tool.

Okay, could you please tell me if this is correct? Just to verify if I have understood you correctly. :) Let's assume I have a set up such that I place an object on a table and I shoot it "horizontally" along the plane of the table such that the background is a wall maybe 4m away. Can I take it to mean that regardless whether I shoot the object with my camera 5cm away or I walk 1m away and zoom in to the same object size, the background will have similar blur, assuming constant f-number?

In general yes.
One of the factor that makes it not 100% true is, hyperfocal distance of the lens. You may check it out on the definition.

Alright, I'll be sure to read up. Thank you very much for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.