Noob buying D7000

bethpapa74

Jan 28, 2011
Hi...
I own a canon g10 3yrs ago ... wasn't too happy with it cos it is still a ccd p&s cam.

Then i start to read, research, try, ask, play around ... finally the D7k caught my attention.
After a series of reading n researching again .. I formulate the following basic setup.
The main purpose for photography is my kids and sometime landscaping when i travel.

This will be my first dslr ... can someone grant me some advises. thanks in advance.

I heard that most kit lens are slow in AF and hence poor in image sharpness...
so I would like to forgo the kit lens and move straight to a better and faster lens.
Ability to zoom to me is not important...

- D7000 body
- 28-70mm f2.8 ????
- 35mm f1.8 for low light.

- Polarizer and UV filter
- Crumpler 6 million dollar
- AIPO Dry Cabinet Box - 38 LTR

Last edited:
Hi

The 28-70mm, at 28mm is probably is not wide enough for the DX format.

You may wana consider the 17-55mm f2.8 DX lens.

will I make myself look stupid if I buy both
- 35mm f1.8
- 17-55mm f2.8

both r for low light condition, the latter being able to zoom niah.
I am confused as I do not want over lapping lens lying around. ...

kindly advise me pls

why dont u just buy the D7000 with the kit lens?
since this is ur first DSLR, it would be good to start by using the kit lens then identify which range you prefer...

Actually the 18-105 kit lens that comes with D7000 is pretty gd..
Focus is quite fast also.

I'm using it till i get my 18-200 (Own preference, prefers that longer reach)

For a 1st DSLR, perhaps u wanna test out the abovesaid lenses in the shop or use the kit lens as a guide 1st before u actually plunk afew thousand dollars on a lens (ie 24-70/2.8, 17-55/2.8)

the newer 24-70 f2.8 (FX) should be a better lens than 28-70. as mentioned, it may not be wide enough for u, so maybe u want to consider 17-55 f2.8 (DX) as well. if u don't need the aperture 1.8, u don't have to buy 35 f1.8, unless u shooting in really low light condition and esp u can't use a flash. if not, if u buy both, most likely one of the lens will be underused and it's a waste of your hard earned money.

btw, 6 mil crumpler bag is only enough for a mid range zoom (pro lens, eg 17-55, 24-70) with body + 1 or 2 lens + a flash.

Nubzz,
I dun quite like zoom lens... image tends to be grainy.
I think max for me is the kit lens 18-105mm bah.

baggiolee,
Thanks for you advises.

Actually the prime lens is the first lens i wanted to buy ... to shot my kids in both day n night.
and to avoid flash+high iso ... i choose bigger aperture.

As for the 6MDH ... I just wanted to buy it for a start.
It should be able to store all my basic stuff plus a compact g10.

** My initial plan was to let go the kit lens and straight away wack a good lens and keep shooting with it ...

Nubzz,

baggiolee,
Thanks for you advises.

Actually the prime lens is the first lens i wanted to buy ... to shot my kids in both day n night.

** My initial plan was to let go the kit lens and straight away wack a good lens and keep shooting with it ...

looks like you have already set your mind on what to get. Go get it and enjoy shooting.
D7000 is an awesome camera for a starter like me.

Nubzz,

baggiolee,
Thanks for you advises.

Me oso noob with D7000... dun really like the kit lens...

If u wanna shoot ur kids... i think a 35mm or 50mm prime will be great... depends on how deep your pocket is to get the f1.4 or f1.8... personally using 35f1.8 and loved it... planning to get a 50f1.4 soon...

Nubzz,

I'm not sure where you get the info from. Zoom lens don't make your image grainy...
Camera ISO will affects the grain of the photo quality. :)

I'm not sure where you get the info from. Zoom lens don't make your image grainy...
Camera ISO will affects the grain of the photo quality. :)

Fren told me ... for DX sensor, try to avoid those super zoom lens. Lens is not cheap and image quality might not be what u expect to be.

Rather save up more and upgrade to FX or full frame and invest in ultra zoom lens. .. in that way higher iso had lesser effect on image quality.

I cannot afford FX or full frame la ... so better be contented with a DX with 5x zoom :)

Me oso noob with D7000... dun really like the kit lens...

If u wanna shoot ur kids... i think a 35mm or 50mm prime will be great... depends on how deep your pocket is to get the f1.4 or f1.8... personally using 35f1.8 and loved it... planning to get a 50f1.4 soon...

hi noobshooter,
thanks for your comment.

I shared the same feeling with you ... hence i intend to purchase only the 35f1.8, then use the extra buffer to buy lensbaby composer :)

what do u think?

Actually I am in USA now ... planning to buy entire set from amazon.
but after serious checking and calling up sg shops. .. I realized that the pricing on amazon is only slightly lower only.

now at amazon they have this offer ...

For a limited time, purchase the Nikon D7000 digital SLR and save up to $400 with the combined purchase of a qualifying Nikkor lens from Amazon.com.
The more you buy, the more you save. Please note that this offer applies only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.com

D7k kit is selling usd1,499.95

Last edited:
Fren told me ... for DX sensor, try to avoid those super zoom lens. Lens is not cheap and image quality might not be what u expect to be.

Rather save up more and upgrade to FX or full frame and invest in ultra zoom lens. .. in that way higher iso had lesser effect on image quality.

I cannot afford FX or full frame la ... so better be contented with a DX with 5x zoom :)

actually FX don't really have much super zooms lens. Only 24-120 f4, 70-300 and 28-300 with variable apertures. personally i think most people prefer f2.8 zooms, eg. 24-70, 70-200 and f1.4 primes like 24, 35, 50, 85mm range.

I think as long as you can balance well betw. ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed, you can take stunning pictures. FX high end body & FX lens adds on to the convience to get those pictures if you have the money to splurge.

D7k is a great body and should be seriously considered if you already had prior shooting experience. Last heard D7k body only (local sg set) selling at abt SGD $1.7k+ in sg, although stocks is really limited. You might wanna consider getting this when you come back instead?

even if you invest in good gears, if you do not have what it takes, the output will be still the same.

first, welcome to the Dark Side....
D7000 is a very capable camera. with iso1600 being very usuable...
so with 35f1.8, should give you enough speed for night shots of active kids :)

As above mentioned, welcome to the Dark Side! :)

I don't know why you're friend is asking you to avoid super zoom in DX bodies. Maybe what he meant are those with variable aperture lenses, like the kit lens (18-105 f3.5-5.6) that comes with the D7000. I shoot with the kit lens, if i dont have any other choice. If you have the budget, I will recommend you to ditch off the kit lens and get a 17-50 f2.8 (Tamron). Though personally, I will be getting the Nikkor 24-120 f4.