noob blur blur on which lens to buy

Which glass to take?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

afterzero

Apr 3, 2009
iamabcd.com
Hi, I recently got my first d5000. And I am itching to buy a lens coz im getting bored with the kit lens i have. :embrass:

Which should i take from the three (prices are about the same):

Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8 ~ $350
- this will be useful to take portraits and in low-light photoshoots. fast lens.
Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR ~ $380 - a good complement for my existing kit lens. additional focal length.
3rd party 70-300mm ~ $380 (no VR) - zoom some more. :)

i am leaning towards the 55-200mm. but i want to hear from you. mainly, my interest in photography is in general, so i am looking for another lens that will somehow be flexible to take whatever shots i make, either portrait, street, etc. and will be somehow a good investment.

:cry: please advice :confused:

It really depends on what you want to do. I would recommend 35mm if you want to challenge and improve your composition as it is prime. Therefore, you need to think about what to include instead of zooming your way around.

i rec 50mm f1.8 + 55-200. if u get them both 2nd hand. 150+200-250. =400 within ur budget.

some 70-300 nikon lens can be as cheap as 150 by the way. 70-300 G if im not wrong is often found in b&s for 150

It really depends on what you want to do. I would recommend 35mm if you want to challenge and improve your composition as it is prime. Therefore, you need to think about what to include instead of zooming your way around.

thanks for the insight.. i will definitely think about that.

i rec 50mm f1.8 + 55-200. if u get them both 2nd hand. 150+200-250. =400 within ur budget.

some 70-300 nikon lens can be as cheap as 150 by the way. 70-300 G if im not wrong is often found in b&s for 150

50mm f1.8 is not an af-s therefore it will not autofocus with my d5000. that is why i chose 35mm afs instead. :) 70-300g doesn't have vr. and i am thinking if i really need the extra 100mm and willing to give up the missing 50-70mm.. i dont know if that makes sense. :dunno:

35mm f/1.8. A prime. great in low light conditions. perfect focal length for street. primes are better than zooms by a far cry

I'd go for 35/1.8DX. It's small and light, and the big aperture makes it useful even in some low-light situations without using flash.

You'll like it for its shallow DOF too!

I recommend that you go read the reviews about the lenses. See what area of photography you are interested in then decide on the lens. Don't buy what you don't need. ;)

since u got 18-55, why not get 55-200 VR to cover the short tele range, u can take candid shots with this lens for instance.
thus u've covered 18-200 range which is very versatile for practice before u further upgrade ur lenses in the future

I'd dismiss 70-300 w/o VR

Status
Not open for further replies.