None "D"/"G" lens on D70, what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuslion

Apr 10, 2004
Pasir Panjang
leonpix.blogspot.com
Can any Nikon guru enlighten me what happens if i put a none "D"/"G" Nikkor lens on D70? I heard a few versions, but not so sure about it.

Thank you!

cphile

Dec 20, 2003
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi,

I'm no expert but i guess that you will not get distance info being fed back to the camera. As for the D/G- type lenses, the common feature is the ability to feedback subject distance to the camera.

Therefore, Nikon's 3D Matrix flash metering will fall back onto "pseudo- 2D" flash metering as the distance of the subject is not taken into consideration. D70 has this 3D Matrix flash metering mode.

For difference between G-type versus all the other types of lenses, G-types have no aperture ring => user has to use the camera to select the aperture. Not a problem if using with D70.

Personally I dun bemoan the loss of the flash distance D/G-function IMHO.

hansia

Apr 27, 2004
East
Yeah, have used both D and non-D lenses on my D70. No noticeable difference for flash (at least on the built in TTL flash). Didn't try it on SB600 or SB800.

Read from previous thread that there's no real difference for D and non-D lenses for other Nikon bodies.

The G-lenses have no aperture rings. They are D-lenses too. These lenses have the distance chip built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.