non-stick coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

EiRiK

Mar 2, 2003
North
www.eiriktan.com
last night while washing the metal pot of my rice cooker, i noticed some silver dots at the base. upon close inspection, i realised that those were not silver spots. the non-stick coating had came off and the metallic interior of the pot was exposed! :bigeyes:
wonder how much of them had already when into my stomach.... :dunno:

will kana cancer or not?

Works on the same logic as coating your lungs with tar... then won't get lung cancer? :sweat:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2270.html

Dear Reader,

Teflon, which is one manufacturer's name for polytetrafluoethylene (PTFE), is not poisonous. This chemical is inert (not active or reactive), so if it's ingested, it will travel through your system without being absorbed. So, you needn't worry if you accidentally eat a bit of it (though you probably wouldn't want to make a meal out of it).

There is some danger involved, however, when heating pans treated with PTFE to very high temperatures. When heated to over 300 degrees Celsius / 572 degrees Fahrenheit (a temperature you won't likely reach intentionally on your stove or in your oven), PTFE releases fumes. These fumes can cause an illness resembling the flu, with symptoms including tightening of the chest, mild coughing, nausea, and sweats. It's called polymer fume fever, and it's rare.

Birds, however, are a different story. You'll find lots of testimonials on-line from bird owners that heating PTFE products, even to normal cooking temperatures, releases sufficient fumes to kill their birds. So you might want to be careful with non-stick pans coated with PTFE if you've got birds in the house.

You can prevent a lot of PTFE flaking by not using sharp, metal utensils; they scratch the non-stick surface and cause all that flaking. Instead, use wooden or plastic ones. The scratches and flakes won't release dangerous poison, but they are unsightly, can release bits of dark PTFE specks in your otherwise spotless white sauce, and, most importantly, reduce the non-stick effectiveness of the pan. If your PTFE pans are getting flaky, it might be time to buy some new ones. If you're really concerned, you may want to switch to using cast iron, stainless steel, or other pans instead.

Do a Google search for "Teflon Poison Danger"

EiRiK said:
last night while washing the metal pot of my rice cooker, i noticed some silver dots at the base. upon close inspection, i realised that those were not silver spots. the non-stick coating had came off and the metallic interior of the pot was exposed! :bigeyes:
wonder how much of them had already when into my stomach.... :dunno:

will kana cancer or not?

Best is to do an X-ray of your stomach.

Scan it and post it here and let us analyse.

If a large quantity of non-stick coating lines your stomach, food goes in fast and comes out fast too.

Sion said:
Best is to do an X-ray of your stomach.

Scan it and post it here and let us analyse.

If a large quantity of non-stick coating lines your stomach, food goes in fast and comes out fast too.
like that can lose weight a not? :D

Darren said:
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2270.html

Do a Google search for "Teflon Poison Danger"

2nd para refers.

when i was working at Mcdonald's here sometime ago, they used black teflon sheet over the top steel to sear both sides of the beef patties. so that the patties does not stick. working temp are about 425 degree F.

reachme2003 said:
2nd para refers.

when i was working at Mcdonald's here sometime ago, they used black teflon sheet over the top steel to sear both sides of the beef patties. so that the patties does not stick. working temp are about 425 degree F.

that works out to abt 218 degrees c

Status
Not open for further replies.