Non responsive Macbook! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mich_2103

Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
Dear fellow CSnappers,
While editing some photos on my MB just now, my laptop prompted me about new updates for certain Apple software. I downloaded the ones that I wanted. It asked me to restart my computer and I followed too.

Now, all I am getting is the grey screen and the blinking small circle of LED lights.

I performed a hardware test and it said nothing is wrong with my hardware.

My MB is switched on. I can hear the motor/fan running but I am worried it might be too hot for my MB. Also, I am worried if its some major problem.

Is this something that's worth worrying about? I just don't want my MB to get too heated up.

Will it cause any problems if I leave it on overnight?

Will appreciate if any kind fellows can share their views on this, thanks! :)

{Mich} :)

hmm........i think i did a similar update, but no problems....maybe u can go to the Mac forum for help.. if i find anything i will post it here.

Dear fellow CSnappers,
While editing some photos on my MB just now, my laptop prompted me about new updates for certain Apple software. I downloaded the ones that I wanted. It asked me to restart my computer and I followed too.

Now, all I am getting is the grey screen and the blinking small circle of LED lights.

My MB is switched on. I can hear the motor/fan running but I am worried it might be too hot for my MB. Also, I am worried if its some major problem.

Is this something that's worth worrying about? I just don't want my MB to get too heated up.

{Mich} :)

Suggest you shut it down for 30min(or overnight), let it cool off and try rebooting it when you are free. If you left it running overnight, you might toast the chips in there and you can look forward to a new MB or MBP.

If it recurs after restarting, bring it to a service centre (or the place you bought it from). Servicing isnt cheap, but if its under warranty, it helps alot. The apple centre @ wheelock is quite reputable as they have trained technicians. There are also many service centres out there that do repairs, but do yourself a favor by going to an authorised one.

Just pray hard that it is not logic board failure. If it's under warranty, it won't matter though.

Good luck!

Sorry, couldn't find anything about the problems you r facing. However i think find out that a software update on MB & MBP batteries is announced.

is urs the mb core du or core 2 duo..

anyway, the signs u mentioned sounds familiar, it could be the early signs of a hard disk failure or a logic board failure.. my advice is to get ACPP if u have not gotten one.. $438 for the mb is worth it.. oh.. the intel-base mb and mbp do run hotter then the old pb and ib... do ensure good ventilation

anyway, like what was suggested, do bring down the mb to apple service centre [wheellock, cos I have had good service there]

Dear fellow CSnappers,

Not sure what you meant by "small circle of LED lights" but if the front LED is blinking and the screen is just grey, your MB might be stuck trying to run one of those firmware updates.

But if your MB is stuck at the usual 'spinning arm' icon with grey background then it could sometimes be due to incompatibility issues third party software or drivers or the update wasn't properly installed, thus hosing some system files (restore OS from DVD).

If you're hearing unusual clicking noise while the system is hung, it could be a defective hard disk (send to Apple Service).

Have u tried removing the battery and put it back again?

Dear fellow CSnappers,

Try startup with the startup DVD that came with the system and see if you are able to see your HD:)

Hi People,
Thanks for your suggestions! I really appreciate it! :)

Last night after visiting Apple's website and the local Mac users forum, I rebooted my MB from the CD, and OMG, thankfully, it works! Initially I was extremely worried that it could be a hardware failure (my MS is less than 6 mths old though) but I performed the hardware test & it said everything was fine.

So I saved a copy of my old system files (thank god all my files are still there) and I found out certain applications such as my printer, my NAV and Photoshop CS3 claimed I need to reinstall them again. Does anyone know how come this happens?

Also, because my old system files were taking up more than 10GB worth of space, I was randomly clicking all my current applications to make sure all of them are still working. Because it was slowing down the system, I deleted my old system files this morning.

I hope I didn't make a stupid mistake by doing that.

{Mich}

Suggest you shut it down for 30min(or overnight), let it cool off and try rebooting it when you are free. If you left it running overnight, you might toast the chips in there and you can look forward to a new MB or MBP.

If it recurs after restarting, bring it to a service centre (or the place you bought it from). Servicing isnt cheap, but if its under warranty, it helps alot. The apple centre @ wheelock is quite reputable as they have trained technicians. There are also many service centres out there that do repairs, but do yourself a favor by going to an authorised one.

Just pray hard that it is not logic board failure. If it's under warranty, it won't matter though.

Good luck!

Huh?! Run MB or MBP overnight will toast the chips? So unreliable???
My wife and I run our Toshiba lappy overnight for dl but so far so good, no problem of overheating at all~

Huh?! Run MB or MBP overnight will toast the chips? So unreliable???
My wife and I run our Toshiba lappy overnight for dl but so far so good, no problem of overheating at all~

Well on a faulty notebook, it can toat the logic board if one ignore the symptooms. I just did that to one mac last year. There were little symptoms here there of a faulty notebook as it could not get onto a screen saver mode. I ignored. Left it on sleep mode always. Then one day, it became unberably hot the next morning. Switch off and then went to work. Then it started to hang and refused to boot. Sent to service centre and they wanted about $1.6k for servicing. Ditch it and got a new one.

On my current mac, i bought a notebook fan bed for it to rest on. It stays cool always unless I do post processing works or with more demanding softwares.

Status
Not open for further replies.