non Oly flash on E500

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewdam

Jun 18, 2005
Hi,

i have a Nikon SB 24, will it demage the cam if i use it with E500 other than act as a dumb flash.

hey i think u got to check the manual for your e500. i think it can be used. but its safer to read up the manual first ! :)

here are a direct copy and paste from the oly e300 manual

Using commercially available flashes
The amount of light emitted cannot be adjusted on commercially available flashes
except for those specified. A small versatile flash can be synchronized with the
camera at a shutter speed of 1/180 sec. or less, whereas a large flash (such as a
studio flash) can be synchronized at 1/125 sec. or less. For details on nonspecified
commercial flashes, refer to the next page.
1 Remove the hot shoe cover to connect
the flash unit to the camera.
2 Set the exposure mode to M mode,
then set the aperture value and
shutter speed.
~“Manual shooting” (P. 49)
● A slower shutter speed may produce blurred
images.
3 Turn on the flash.
● Be sure to turn on the flash after attaching
the flash unit to the camera.
4 Set the flash control mode on the
flash to AUTO. Also set the ISO
sensitivity and aperture value on the
flash to match the camera’s settings.
● Refer to the manual for the flash to set its
flash control mode.
Flash shooting
● The camera’s flash mode except 2nd curtain will have no effect on the nonspecified
commercial flashes.
● The flash fires each time the shutter is released. When you do not need to
use the flash, turn off the flash’s power.
● Check beforehand that the flash you are using is synchrorized with the
camera.
Note

Non-specified commercial flashes
Before selecting a non-specified commercial flash, be sure to read the following
information carefully to determine whether or not it can be used with this camera.
(1) Exposures when using a flash require that adjustments be made on the flash.
If a flash is used in the auto mode, match it with the F value and ISO
sensitivity settings on the camera.
(2) Even if the auto F value and ISO sensitivity of the flash are set to the same
conditions as those on the camera, the correct exposure may not obtained
depending on the shooting conditions. In such a case, adjust the auto F value
or ISO on the flash or calculate the distance in the manual mode. (Exposure
compensation on the camera cannot be used when shooting with the flash.)
(3) Use a flash with an illumination angle that matches the focal length of the
lens. The focal length of the lens for 35 mm film is approximately twice as
long as the focal length of the lenses designed for this camera.
(4) Do not use a flash unit or other accessory TTL flash that has additional
communications functions other than the specified flashes, since it may
not only fail to function normally, but may also cause damage to the
camera’s circuitry.

Hi Say123,

m concern on this..

camera’s circuitry

if the flash has just 1 contact pt, guess still not wori.

Maybe someone in the forum have experience of attaching a 3rd party flash to an oly camera. I think it will not damage the camera la. will just lose the auto settings, got to use manual thats all.
:)

drewdam said:
Hi Say123,

m concern on this..

camera’s circuitry.
hmm so it means i need to cover the extra contacts on my camera when i use my 420ex flash..:think:

drewdam said:
m concern on this..

camera’s circuitry

if the flash has just 1 contact pt, guess still not wori.

I believe there's some confusion here...if there is only one contact point it is safe to use (provided the trigger voltage reasonable (less than 12volts). If there are multiple contact points, then it might not be safe to use (it may be those extra contacts are disabled if you select a non-TTL mode, but why risk your camera to save a few bucks).

ParkertR said:
expiredyoghurt uses a Nikon SB as well... u can ask him.

hey ParkertR,

tks, had receive reply from expiredyoghurt lio..tks

Mikefellh said:
I believe there's some confusion here...if there is only one contact point it is safe to use (provided the trigger voltage reasonable (less than 12volts). If there are multiple contact points, then it might not be safe to use (it may be those extra contacts are disabled if you select a non-TTL mode, but why risk your camera to save a few bucks).

ya..that's what my concern at 1st and am avoid TTL setting... as for the contacts, there's only 1 contact that met between the flash n the cam..which is the "main pt" but not the rest ..guess that's safe enough.

Don't think so. You got to try measuring the main point to earth triggering voltage. if it exceeds the 12V, considering using some other triggering device. It is already stated in the manual and on this...http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html. It is not the TTL voltage but the triggering voltage.Please read this thread... it's related tropic...http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=217825. Don't want you to burn your precious baby. (or is it Wife??)

Blu-By-U said:
Don't think so. You got to try measuring the main point to earth triggering voltage. if it exceeds the 12V, considering using some other triggering device. It is already stated in the manual and on this...http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html. It is not the TTL voltage but the triggering voltage.Please read this thread... it's related tropic...http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=217825. Don't want you to burn your precious baby. (or is it Wife??)

hey...what's the safe trigger V for the E500? I have also cfm with another CSer that he's using SB24 with the Exxx as well....

not sure but blu remembers reading somewhere it stated below 12V...but unofficially blu would use the measured voltage for the FLs as a guide.

drewdam said:
hey...what's the safe trigger V for the E500? I have also cfm with another CSer that he's using SB24 with the Exxx as well....
That is not very important if you are not considering getting another flash. The main thing is that you measure between the SB24 middle contact and the side. The voltage should be low when the flash is fully charged.

I actually discussed that with Oly here in Sweden because I have an old T32 and an old Metz. The T32 has below 12V but the Metz has around 160V. So I asked Oly because the E-500 manual does not say anything. The Oly rep said the T32 is definitely safe to use but the Metz is what he called "on the border line". He did not want to give me more details (or had no idea). So I build some external triggers, one that is only for the T32 and the other that is more advanced in functionality and also can be used on the Metz. This way I am able to trigger with the E-500's built in flash. The T32 I occasionally use via wire also and can say that "MY T32 is safe to use on MY E-500". Don't know about others, but it should also work.

Here are some images on my home made triggers. Do a search on CS because the subject is discussed in great details many times.

Trigger1.jpg

Trigger1_T32.jpg

Trigger2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.