Non-exclusive license requested.

HTCahHTC

May 9, 2008
Hey guys, it's the first time I got contacted for licensing my photos. What are the things to be aware of, or what are the things that I should request/bargain for? How does this non-exclusive license normally work? Do they pay you a flat fee first then a commission for every artwork sold? The email details are below, hope someone can guide me along...

Hi Marklin,

I contacted you today as I am an artist scout for PicsaStock and I wanted to let you know that I think your photography has an incredible potential- its extremely engaging and authentic. I have presented your images to our team and we are extremely interested in licensing your whole gallery non-exclusively for PicsaStock.

(Please note this is not a spam email I found your details from your online portfolio).
Let me know if you are interested and I can send you a starter kit.

Thanks for your time.

All the best,
Jenna

Artist Scout
PicsaStock

Schlesische Strasse 26
10997 Berlin, Germany
mail: artists@picsastock.com
Facebook: facebook.com/picsastock
Instagram: instagram.com/picsastock

Non Exclusive, means you can upload/sell the same content elsewhere, not bound by picsastock.

About PicsaStock

What is PicsaStock?
PicsaStock is the world’s largest database for royalty free Instagram photos...and more. We provide the most current, authentic artwork at low prices. Our mission is to provide artists and photographers an easy way to sell their images online. Our enhanced stock photography service connects to today’s most popular social media networks. With advanced search functions and organizational tools, we utilize the immense volume of high quality photos on Instagram, 500px, and other image databases.

What does the “stock” in PicsaStock mean?
“Stock” photography refers to photography that is intended to be used for either commercial or editorial purposes such as advertisements, brochures, articles, and product packaging. It is most commonly purchased and used by graphic designers, artists and media agencies. Stock photography varies by license type, which determines how an image can be used.

What does “royalty free” mean?
Royalty free refers to the right to use copyrighted material without the need to pay royalties or a licensing fee each time the material is used. In photography, royalty free images can be purchased for permission to use an image without copyright restriction.

Is PicsaStock free for photographers?
Yes!

What type of licenses does PicsaStock sell?
PicsaStock makes it free and easy for you to sell editorial and commercial licenses.

Who are you guys, anyway?
We are a young, motivated team based in Berlin and huge Instagram fans. Our goal is to make it easy for everyday photographers and Instagram users to make it BIG with their photography, and we want you to be a part of it.

Please read the rest for your questions.

https://www.picsastock.com/#/info/faq

Do you think it'll be a good start to start selling photos?
Why not? What do you think is bad about it? Here you even get contacted by the agency, no need to run after anybody.
Since the company is located in Germany you might want to have a look into some general business terms and conditions there.

They operate on a subscription model. You are not going to get a lot of money for a sale unless they hold a large quantity of your works in their library. This is also provided that your images can sell. You decide.

They approached me before. Not really keen.

Last edited:
How much you can earn depends on how much efforts you want to put into it.

Just like any other kind of business, you can see some rock stars in stock photos making a killing, but what you don't see how much hardwork they have come out over the years.

You can sign up and upload your photos for a year, after a year than you decide to stay or move on. Btw, for RF stock, is a number game, don't expect to earn something with a very small portfolio, unless your works is extremly good, we are talking about sub 1k photos.

How much you can earn depends on how much efforts you want to put into it.

Just like any other kind of business, you can see some rock stars in stock photos making a killing, but what you don't see how much hardwork they have come out over the years.

Erm, I actually think that the earnings you get from these subscription based models are not proportional to the effort spent. That's just me though.

Erm, I actually think that the earnings you get from these subscription based models are not proportional to the effort spent. That's just me though.

On the subscription based, photographers still able to earn $0.10 to $0.13 per download, bear in mind the micro stock business in a volume game.

Compare to some photographers shooting a wedding for a few hundreds bucks, clock more than 1k frames, so each photos make $0.50, and that's all they can earn from the set of photos.
So shooting for micro stock doesn't seem that bad at all.

I know micro stock trives on volume and that also mean that it might take you months, if not years to earn something.

Yes, it takes years to build, and don't expect to see results in short term.
It is not meant for anyone.

Compare to some photographers shooting a wedding for a few hundreds bucks, clock more than 1k frames, so each photos make $0.50, and that's all they can earn from the set of photos.
So shooting for micro stock doesn't seem that bad at all.

For a wedding photographer, that 1000 frames will probably be shot over a period of 2 days max?

For someone who managed to accumulate 1000 images in a stock library, it most certainly will take more than 2 days.

Not sure you still remember who is Jeannie?
She said she shoot 4k frames for her friend wedding.
I'm sure many photographers won't just shoot a few hundreds frames for a wedding day event.

Anyway, my point is the stock photos can selll for many many years. You never know how much money can these photos made for you.
So it make no sense to shoot an assignment for very low price and give all the photos away.

Of course not! If you read the other thread, you'll know my stand on $15 per hour assignments:)

However, I also don't see micro stock as something one can depend on to earn a meaningful income. Well, for most people at least.

Of course not! If you read the other thread, you'll know my stand on $15 per hour assignments:)

However, I also don't see micro stock as something one can depend on to earn a meaningful income. Well, for most people at least.

that really depends on how much hard work the photographers want to put in...

http://blog.microstockgroup.com/earning-a-living-in-stock-photography/

http://rising.blackstar.com/lise-gagne-becomes-first-istockphoto-photographer-to-reach-500-000.html

selling images taken by mobile phone is a new trend, surely there are some serious demand, some stock agencies are offering these type of images also.

so compare to the initial set up of DSLR to take some paid assignments, shooting with mobile phone is rather lightweight investment, I'm sure the ROI will be so much better than somebody shooting $500 wedding with 5DMK3 or D800.

I shoot weddings, its not the amount of shots.

Its responsibility and focus for prolonged hours managing people in an uncontrolled event to produce nice photographs.

Stock is good deal if you are in.