Non-dSLR user Considering a switch. Any pointers on what to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, a complete DSLR idiot here(me) trying to get a entry level DSLR. I read e useful info on tis thread althou i didnt understand 100%.. I lookin for a body w built in IS(for my shaky hands) and shooting portraits and scenery. Can I ask for some cam and lenses brands/models(not e hi end range) recommendations? a million thanks:):)

d80 is a very old cam with very, i mean very poor noise control as compared to newer cameras. Say d90, 1000d, 450d. When compared to the old canon 350d, it still loses out. Unless you are sure you wont use high ISO, by all means go get it, the grip feels good in my hands thou.

for built in IS in bodies, take a look at pentax, sony and olympus system. All of them are equally good i should say, pentax is the most bang for buck system.

d80 is a very old cam with very, i mean very poor noise control as compared to newer cameras. Say d90, 1000d, 450d. When compared to the old canon 350d, it still loses out. Unless you are sure you wont use high ISO, by all means go get it, the grip feels good in my hands thou.

Thats for pointing that out. I really want good ISOs. So, whats a good pick for budget/entry level dSLR with good ISO? 1000D?

Someone just mentioned earlier that D90 sucks at ISO noise. Very controversial comments here.

Actually I prefer sticking to Canon / Nikon. Maybe Olympus, I guess the reputable brands are easy to trade about if necessary.

for built in IS in bodies, take a look at pentax, sony and olympus system. All of them are equally good i should say, pentax is the most bang for buck system.

appreciate ur advice, are pentax lenses limited and the cams compatible w 3rd party lenses?

i believe the best would be make use of what you have. You can take a look at their new Km model and DA-L lenses. They covered the most commonly used range.

Yes 3rd part lenses are compatible with Pentax cams. Look out for pentax mount 2rd party lenses.

Thats for pointing that out. I really want good ISOs. So, whats a good pick for budget/entry level dSLR with good ISO? 1000D?

Someone just mentioned earlier that D90 sucks at ISO noise. Very controversial comments here.

Actually I prefer sticking to Canon / Nikon. Maybe Olympus, I guess the reputable brands are easy to trade about if necessary.

Nah dont anyhow say. LOL. d90 has good noise control, its so new and if its bad a noise control who wants to buy them?

Hi ombre,

Well its good that you're used to manual controls, in fact it sounds like a DSLR is what you should be using rather than a compact digital. About the lens, well, 50mm / f1.8 means its a fixed lens which is not wide angle so you may have problems when shooting scenery or vacation shots. Then again I'm not sure exactly how or what you'll be shooting with the camera so you may not need a wide angle or zoom? Also lens price will vary like crazy. A fixed lens can cost more than a zoom lens actually, it depends on the manufacturer and quality of the lens. Besides which, with that budget and if you only need a fixed lens, you could see if the Sigma DP1 will suit you, though the aperture is only f4.0, I think.

Hmm, Canon vs Nikon...............for me I'd go based on the control layout and handling. Try shooting with both cameras and see which one you prefer. For casual photography the image quality of both is actually the same? It's only when shooting extreme or serious like F1 cars on the racetrack or supermodels on the catwalk for Vogue magazine that the differences between them become noticeable.

As for why I'm considering an LX3, well, I want a wide-angle camera which is easily portable, hence the LX3. The low-light performance will probably be almost the same as my G7, but it does fulfill most of my needs and as for price, erm, the Panasonic DMC-G1 is expected to be S$1.2K at least and the Olympus E420 w/ lens will cost me nearly S$2K, so the LX3 is actually my cheapest option currently.

BTW, Nikon D90 having noise problems, I'm not convinced that's the case. DPReview hasn't done any in-depth testing yet but the sample photos they took don't show any noise IMHO. Its probably just a false rumour or some faulty firmware in a prototype or pre-release camera.

Last edited:
hi, a complete DSLR idiot here(me) trying to get a entry level DSLR. I read e useful info on tis thread althou i didnt understand 100%.. I lookin for a body w built in IS(for my shaky hands) and shooting portraits and scenery. Can I ask for some cam and lenses brands/models(not e hi end range) recommendations? a million thanks:):)

MHO,
Pentax might fit the bill. Price of the K200D and K20D are falling due to new releases. For lenses, probably get the body, and then buy the kit lens (18-55mm) from buy/sell in this forums, as many ppl outgrow it and sell them cheap.
Else, you might want a wide angle (10-20mm or 12-24mm) for scenery and a competent 28-75mm f2.8 for portrait/general use.

Please...do a research using Google. Type in your keywords and you should get a whole chunk of information.
If are a complete dslr idiot, all the more you need to know, if a dslr suits you in the first place. You will be buying a system of body, lenses, flash and accesories which will cost you at least $2000. Are you willing to spend?
Or else there are prosumer cameras below $1000, that performs almost like a dslr..

Hi ombre,

Well its good that you're used to manual controls, in fact it sounds like a DSLR is what you should be using rather than a compact digital. About the lens, well, 50mm / f1.8 means its a fixed lens which is not wide angle so you may have problems when shooting scenery or vacation shots. Then again I'm not sure exactly how or what you'll be shooting with the camera so you may not need a wide angle or zoom? Also lens price will vary like crazy. A fixed lens can cost more than a zoom lens actually, it depends on the manufacturer and quality of the lens. Besides which, with that budget and if you only need a fixed lens, you could see if the Sigma DP1 will suit you, though the aperture is only f4.0, I think.

Hmm, Canon vs Nikon...............for me I'd go based on the control layout and handling. Try shooting with both cameras and see which one you prefer. For casual photography the image quality of both is actually the same? It's only when shooting extreme or serious like F1 cars on the racetrack or supermodels on the catwalk for Vogue magazine that the differences between them become noticeable.

As for why I'm considering an LX3, well, I want a wide-angle camera which is easily portable, hence the LX3. The low-light performance will probably be almost the same as my G7, but it does fulfill most of my needs and as for price, erm, the Panasonic DMC-G1 is expected to be S$1.2K at least and the Olympus E420 w/ lens will cost me nearly S$2K, so the LX3 is actually my cheapest option currently.

BTW, Nikon D90 having noise problems, I'm not convinced that's the case. DPReview hasn't done any in-depth testing yet but the sample photos they took don't show any noise IMHO. Its probably just a false rumour or some faulty firmware in a prototype or pre-release camera.

Hi again,

Well I guess I know what I need already, its getting clearer as I read these posts. Either 1) Lots and LOADS of money. 2) What I already do not have on my prosumer.

I don't deny that prosumer can't give what a dSLR can, but for the money, its a no go. So it boils down to what I need, which is basically what I don't have on my prosumer.

Doubt I'll ever need or afford zoom. Wide angle, my prosumer does nicely, no complains there.. So basically Low-light (not even that low, just normal room light) and Bokeh is what I am going after. Thus I think the prime lens should be fine for me.

But having said all that, I estimated about 1.2k... going into a 1 lens dSLR feels a little heartbreaking too...

But having said all that, I estimated about 1.2k... going into a 1 lens dSLR feels a little heartbreaking too...

lets see what 1.2k can get.

A second hand
1. Canon 350d - $450
2. EF-S 18-55 IS - $150
3. EF 50mm f1.8 for those starting portraiture - $90
4. EF-S 55-250 IS - $300
------------------------------------
5. Filters: Hoya UV and CPL for a start - $50
6. Benro tripod w head - $120
7. Camera bag - $10(i got mine which is MIC for that price)
8. Drybox and silica Gel - $20
9. $10 left for transport fee to meet dealers.

The most bang for buck method.

If going for bokeh, since you said you dont need wide angle, the best is to get

1. Canon 350d
2. Ef 50mm f1.8
3. EF 70-200f4L - $700

Last edited:
lets see what 1.2k can get.

A second hand
1. Canon 350d - $450
2. EF-S 18-55 IS - $150
3. EF 50mm f1.8 for those starting portraiture - $90
4. EF-S 55-250 IS - $300
------------------------------------
5. Filters: Hoya UV and CPL for a start - $50
6. Benro tripod w head - $120
7. Camera bag - $10(i got mine which is MIC for that price)
8. Drybox and silica Gel - $20
9. $10 left for transport fee to meet dealers.

The most bang for buck method.

If going for bokeh, since you said you dont need wide angle, the best is to get

1. Canon 350d
2. Ef 50mm f1.8
3. EF 70-200f4L - $700

Quite thoughtful of you to plan it out for me, but its a little more than I wanted I thought. But thanks really, I do appreciate it.

My plan is actually to stick to my prosumer, and only pull out my dSLR at night, or indoors and portraits. If I can really get a body under 500, and the lens... Thats a 600 dollar dSLR, but sticking to one prime lens sounds abit under utilized and wasted yar? Maybe top it up with a flash unit.

Canon 350D.. hm, I was more looking at Canon 450D actually. How much will this cost me? worth the difference? (Sorry! I know I should be researching myself!)

1. Canon 450D
2. EF 50mm f1.8
3. UV filter (doubt I need a CPL with this)
4. A hood maybe? To look pro at least. Or even to throw out the UV filter.

5. If I got money, a flash set maybe. will 100 suffice for a flash?

I have bags, tripods and silica gel (though I'm afraid to regen them, read too much concerning toxic issues).

Will I have AF with this setup?

Anyway, could someone clear my doubt that I asked awhile back... what happens when the shutter dies? How much does it take to restore it?

My plan is actually to stick to my prosumer, and only pull out my dSLR at night, or indoors and portraits.
What for? Your dslr should be able to outdo your prosumer in every aspect. Or else why buy dslr? Spend so much money on something that you will use only for about 6hrs (6pm-12am) per day? Doesn't make sense..

Will I have AF with this setup?
Yup. So long you mount an EF lens onto a canon camera, confirm will have AF.

Anyway, could someone clear my doubt that I asked awhile back... what happens when the shutter dies? How much does it take to restore it?
You cant shoot. Shutter won't release. Nothing happens even after pressing shutter-release button. To repair, contact the canon service centre or you go peninsula to hunt for camera repair shops if you trust their expertise. If you go to csc, it should cost around SGD200-300.

I think personally if this is your first DSLR it you shouldnt put too much thought into what to get. Just get a cheap 2nd hand old entry level kit like a d40/a100/canon/pentax/whatever, mess around with it for a few months while reading up and trying other peoples cameras.

Then once you know what you really want, sell off the old one for basically the same price you bought it and buy using your new educated preferences.

Honestly all major manufacturers (nikon,canon,sony,pentax,olympus) make great cameras which just handle a bit differently depending of peoples preferences, and none of us will be able to tell you what to get when even you yourself dont know what you're looking for in a camera.

If you're really unsure id say just get a 2nd hand d40/a100 since they're pretty much the cheapest(but still very good) among the entry level bunch. Personally i used messed around with an a100 for about 6 months until i decided to take the plunge and get a d300 :D

Hope this helps

canon 450d is double the price of 350d, and you get more megapixel, live view, bigger screen, usage of SD card and you pay double! DO you think its worth it? why not use the money for better lenses?

And if you get 450d, people will advice you to get a 40d, some will say 50d or 5d and the list will go on. So the bottomline is, for a start either get the cheapest(learn and upgrade as you progress) or the more expensive one(save time and hassle of upgrading).

Well, thats my 2cents worth of opinion. :)

1. Canon 450D
2. EF 50mm f1.8
3. UV filter (doubt I need a CPL with this)
4. A hood maybe? To look pro at least. Or even to throw out the UV filter.

5. If I got money, a flash set maybe. will 100 suffice for a flash?

4. A hood doesnt make you look pro. And usually UV filter serve as protection.
5. $100 is only enough for you to buy rechargeable batteries and charger. ok just joking. For flash, some may buy a 580exII straight away. Imagine you need to capture precious moments and at the same time your flash do not have sufficient power if u get those like 220ex or 380ex.

I think personally if this is your first DSLR it you shouldnt put too much thought into what to get. Just get a cheap 2nd hand old entry level kit like a d40/a100/canon/pentax/whatever, mess around with it for a few months while reading up and trying other peoples cameras.

Then once you know what you really want, sell off the old one for basically the same price you bought it and buy using your new educated preferences.

Honestly all major manufacturers (nikon,canon,sony,pentax,olympus) make great cameras which just handle a bit differently depending of peoples preferences, and none of us will be able to tell you what to get when even you yourself dont know what you're looking for in a camera.

If you're really unsure id say just get a 2nd hand d40/a100 since they're pretty much the cheapest(but still very good) among the entry level bunch. Personally i used messed around with an a100 for about 6 months until i decided to take the plunge and get a d300 :D

Hope this helps

Hi, DSLR idiot here..can I ask if older DSLR models r compatible w current up to date 3rd party lens or lens of its own cam brand? Its a gd idea to get a 2nd hand cheap body n spend the $ on lens for newbies to start with...few days back, I check out e selling section and saw Olympus E500 which had a great review but realised its was launched in late 05:sweatsm:. Worry if cant use w current 3rd party lens after buying

Thanks all for your replies, I'm sorry I don't know how to multi quote. So I'll try to reply one by one. =X

To Deluen:

Thanks for your suggestion, but I think I've more or less figured out the basic configuration I want. Also I'm just a student seeking a hobby with my saved allowance, hence I prefer to do some theory work first. Even if I could buy a kit and sell it off at the same price, I wouldn't like the risk of any market fluctuations, moreover, I know a kit is not going to satisfy me.

I did consider the D40, until I learnt that theres no AF. I'm not sure how much AF will cost me, in fact I don't know really how to tell which models have and which models don't. I ought to be researching more I guess.

To: gymak90, ngck12

Hey thanks! I guess based on what you guys say, I'll be going for a 350D. My last worry, how is the noise with this guy on the higher ISOs?

As for why would I not use my dSLR otherwise, I believe its cost issues. My FZ18+TCON gives me an 800++ mm equivalent, and I find it really fun. In fact I'm still looking forward to extend it with one more TCON. If you ask me if I really need it, answer is probably not entirely, I like birding a lot, and candids from an extreme distance, but otherwise I find it thrilling to own a really long lens, (at an affordable cost!).

So really my prosumer is for the fun stuff, also I'm quite a ... I don't know what you call them, but I push my shutter randomly a lot and compare for the best pictures after I load them on my computer... My prosumer shutter count is already nearly 6000 and I've only gotten my camera for 1 month.

Thus, I'll use my dSLR for moments that I want to last, or when I need something presentable, and make others happy. =) Like taking portraits for my friends, and their stage works.

And anyway, I think hoods look pretty on the camera. I know it doesn't mean "pro-ness", but I feel "pro-er" when I use one. Silly thought I know.

So lets reiterate it all, I really thank everyone sincerely for all the help you've contributed. I didn't get such nice treatment when I was asking about prosumer stuff. So thanks!

I am looking for:

1) Good ISOs, Low Noise
2) Fast lens for bokeh and low light.
3) AF a good bonus to help.

The current suggested setup:

1) Canon 350D
2) 50mm F1.8
3) A good flash.

Am I still looking at about 700 2nd hand and 1.2k First hand?
Also, anymore technical issues that I am unaware of that may make my setup undesirable for me?

Thanks a lot again!

I did consider the D40, until I learnt that theres no AF. I'm not sure how much AF will cost me, in fact I don't know really how to tell which models have and which models don't. I ought to be researching more I guess.
This is not true :nono: D40 can autofocus, depending on which type of lens you attach on to it. The D40 body lacks a mechanical focusing drive. So if you want autofocus, you will have to get a lens with built-in focusing motor. Lenses of these type are denoted by Nikon AF-S, Sigma HSM etc.
All canon dslrs have focusing motor in the body.

Hey thanks! I guess based on what you guys say, I'll be going for a 350D. My last worry, how is the noise with this guy on the higher ISOs?
I can't remember, maybe check out it's review on Dpreview.com
Should be similar to D40. But won't be as good as the new cameras like 40d, 450d etc.

And anyway, I think hoods look pretty on the camera. I know it doesn't mean "pro-ness", but I feel "pro-er" when I use one. Silly thought I know.
Good that you know. Hoods are meant to prevent stray light from reaching your lens and end up reflecting within the glass elements of your lens. Because this results in flare and low contrast images. Your pro-ness is not judged by lens with hood or no hood, but by your pictures.
FYI, canon doesnt provide lens hood to all lenses except for EF L lens. L for luxury. L for expensive.

So lets reiterate it all, I really thank everyone sincerely for all the help you've contributed. I didn't get such nice treatment when I was asking about prosumer stuff. So thanks!

I am looking for:

1) Good ISOs, Low Noise
2) Fast lens for bokeh and low light.
3) AF a good bonus to help.

The current suggested setup:

1) Canon 350D
2) 50mm F1.8
3) A good flash.

Am I still looking at about 700 2nd hand and 1.2k First hand?
Also, anymore technical issues that I am unaware of that may make my setup undesirable for me?

Thanks a lot again!
700 might be slightly low even for 2nd hand. A good flash doesnt come cheap. Besides chances are a 2nd hand 350d would have high shutter count, if it is thoroughly used. 1.2k only enough for a brand new 1000D kit? Unless you are looking at D40/D60 or cheaper.
Regarding teleconverters, they tend to distort the pictures and reduce image quality. I know many ppl here use the Kenko 1.4x.

Status
Not open for further replies.