Non DSLR owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

prayerboy

Jan 7, 2004
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am very impressed with the photos that many of you have posted here. But I also noticed that htere isn't much tips and articles for pple who do not own SLR cameras like me. I just aquired a Canon A70 recently and I don't plan to move on to SLR for the next few years due to budget, so I would like to appeal for more articles pertaining to poor pple like me. Please? :embrass:

prayerboy said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am very impressed with the photos that many of you have posted here. But I also noticed that htere isn't much tips and articles for pple who do not own SLR cameras like me. I just aquired a Canon A70 recently and I don't plan to move on to SLR for the next few years due to budget, so I would like to appeal for more articles pertaining to poor pple like me. Please? :embrass:

You should not use the word 'poor people' ... there are probably tons of people out there who are using non-DLSR. Reasons varies. I bought a Minolta A1 in Dec 2003, and sold it the next day to a friend .. got a cheaper Olympus C5050 instead, coz I felt more 'comfortable' with it. Don't ask me why. :D Some may be newbies (like me) or are still not comfortable enough to get DLSRs. I have seen lots n lots of amazing photos posted, and they are the work of non-DSLRs. Like I read somewhere in CS, it says 'it is the photographer, not the equipment'. Btw, I am also not using a DLSR. :) Welcome to the club.

As for articles & tips, maybe you can list some of the stuff u wanna know. Or Google it ... I started taking pics in Dec 2003, and have since began to learn bit by bit ... from internet resources.

Meanwhile, have fun.

prayerboy said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am very impressed with the photos that many of you have posted here.

But I also noticed that there isn't much tips and articles for pple who do not
own SLR cameras like me.

I belive some of the beautiful pics taken is done by non-SLR camera.

The most common tips offered by us is " Keep Shooting ".

Welcome aboard.

prayerboy said:

Your A70 gives you a lot of control over your shots, perhaps 75% of the DSLR, so you can benefit from much of the tips/techniques discussed in CS. And in the right hands can deliver "pro"-like images.

Welcome to the "Non-DSLR" club!

Oh please!
I shoot with a dirty and creaky Coolpix4500 for 90% of the time. Nothing wrong with using a prosumer digicam, okay. Its a waste however, to get a DLSR and shoot crap shots. But this is something that's been discussed time and again in some thread or other in Clubsnap.

End of the day, just shoot. And enjoy shooting. Period.
:blah:

Well, I never said that the pictures taken by pple like us are always inferior to the pictures taken by pple who use DSLRs. I too agree that it's the person's skills that matter more, though the equipment CAN aid the photographer in many ways. I was just lamenting about the lack of articles for non-DSLR users like us!

When I meant poor, I was refering to some of us who really don't have that kind of budget to buy SLRs, not that non-DSLR owners are all poor. If I offended anyone, my apologies.

I agree that my A70 offers a lot of capabilities already. I think my only complain about it so far is that it cannot take very close up shots. That's all. If I have the money, I might get the telephoto lens attachment for it. Anyone knows how much is it or is there any "compatible" lens?

Bluestrike said:
Actually what kind of articles you are looking for?

Well, general articles like how to take better photographs or specific tricks and tips to non-DSLR cameras? I mean, most of the articles here seem to relate more to DSLR than the non-DSLR cams. But of course, I guess I can always try to google for them lah ah.

Bluestrike said:
Actually what kind of articles you are looking for?

Those articles about how to shoot with A70???

Or some info about u with yr pics..... :lovegrin: :bsmilie:

Tupi Guy said:
Those articles about how to shoot with A70???

Or some info about u with yr pics..... :lovegrin: :bsmilie:
Well you can post a tread in Canon Sub-forum to ask abt it. Many will be able to help you along with it.

Most importantly, I feel that all talk and no action, you dun really get to learn much. Best to do is go out with some of the people and learn more abt it. The basic are athere, just how you apply them that all.

Bluestrike said:
Well you can post a tread in Canon Sub-forum to ask abt it. Many will be able to help you along with it.

Most importantly, I feel that all talk and no action, you dun really get to learn much. Best to do is go out with some of the people and learn more abt it. The basic are athere, just how you apply them that all.

Agreed! I'm trying to shoot as much as I can and trying to gain more experience each time. Thanks for everything!

prayerboy said:
Agreed! I'm trying to shoot as much as I can and trying to gain more experience each time. Thanks for everything!

U can join Bluestrike, he is a canon user too:)

He is good man.......... ;)

Tupi Guy said:
U can join Bluestrike, he is a canon user too:)

He is good man.......... ;)

Haha. The only problem with me joining anyone in shooting trips is that I'm still serving my NS now, so I don't have much time! Sigh. But rest assured that I will keep trying to improve my skills! ;)

prayerboy said:
Haha. The only problem with me joining anyone in shooting trips is that I'm still serving my NS now, so I don't have much time! Sigh. But rest assured that I will keep trying to improve my skills! ;)
Ah.. dun listern to his bull****!
You can join anyone.

Actually, there are just too many ways to shoot with a camera. there is no hard and fast rules to shoot. It how much you understand abt your camera that is important. Any question regarding that, you can just post and ask.. how to take this etc etc etc. I'm sure there are a lot of people here that has the ans to do it.

SniperD said:
A weekend leisure activity: shoot things in your home and then you will be able to learn more from critiques.

Welcome to Clubsnap and keep on shootin'! :)

Well, this Chinese New Year season, I'll be in Malaysia visiting my relatives and there'll be lots of opportunities for me to shoot! Like firecrackers, babies, animals. Haha. IMHO, Malaysia provides more interesting venues for shooting. I have over 30 cousins, some of them which are barely a year old, so I'm looking forward to taking photos of them this time when I visit them.

prayerboy said:
Well, this Chinese New Year season, I'll be in Malaysia visiting my relatives and there'll be lots of opportunities for me to shoot! Like firecrackers, babies, animals. Haha. IMHO, Malaysia provides more interesting venues for shooting. I have over 30 cousins, some of them which are barely a year old, so I'm looking forward to taking photos of them this time when I visit them.

Malaysia still got firecracker? I thought bann liao :what:
Anyway look forward to ur photos. Happy new year :)

sell your cam and get an amateur film SLR instead? :p

swingoutsister said:
sell your cam and get an amateur film SLR instead? :p

Nope. I'm taking so many pictures, especially when I'm still in the process of learning where I'm still making quite some mistakes and deleting a lot of my pictures, the cost of the film and development would kill me already. Furthermore, I like taking digital pictures and digitally manipulate them to create special effects too. Can edit and make not-so-nice pictures to quality pics. :)

prayerboy said:
Well, general articles like how to take better photographs or specific tricks and tips to non-DSLR cameras? I mean, most of the articles here seem to relate more to DSLR than the non-DSLR cams. But of course, I guess I can always try to google for them lah ah.

well, there are basic things about photography that one should know, be it he/she using a DSLR or non-DSLR, P&S, etc.

1) know your gear inside out. a lot of folks just grab the camera, set it to auto mode and shoot. well, an advantage of digital cameras is that you can try different settings and see instant results. remember auto doesn't work all the time.

2) don't blame the gear for lousy photos. cameras are stupid things. they can only work off a fixed set of rules. you as the photographer on the other hand have total control on how, what, when, where to shoot. learn and understand the basics of composition, exposure, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc. IMHO, and i've said this before, technique will always outshoot gear.

3) it really doesn't matter what kind of gear was used to take the photograph. if you look closely enough, you'll notice that what's more important is how the photographer took the picture. the process of taking good pictures starts from your mind, not from the camera. the picture is the end result of this process.

it helps to keep in mind that some of the greatest pictures of our time were taken with non-DSLRs.

enjoy and keep shooting. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.