Nokia surrenders and enlists Microsoft in smartphone war

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/11/us-nokia-idUSTRE71A0GG20110211

Nokia's last-ditch attempt to catch up with Google and Apple by teaming up with Microsoft Corp puts them back on the smartphone map, but gives rivals plenty of time to try and widen their lead.

Nokia is putting Symbian to sleep. So in future, which one will be king for the smartphones?

Apple, Google (Android) or Window? :think:

I place my last dollar on Android :p

i'm predicting any "smart" phone that makes the user go *ga ga goo* with any fancy feature and cute stuff

"Two turkeys do not make an Eagle," :bsmilie:

But with Nokia's expertise in making phones for so long, their leap into microsoft mobile should certainly make windows phones a little more prominent in their current little market pie. But WM7 is still not in its maturity while the other two OS competitors are already hugely dominating. Development will take eons before we see a Nokia WM7 phone with credible multitasking etc.

( secretly was hoping for a Nokia with Android. Heck, we can always dual boot )

Ryan

I prefer webOS, which HP has, its more powerful and offers much better features than Android(honeycomb).

You also have to remember HP is light years ahead in touch screen technology, while Apple is struggling with the iPAD screen to get it as clear as the iPHONE.

HP launched their Tablet on Friday.

Of all those Tech companies that could built a phone OS..... why the HELL Microsoft :sweat:

Negative (Symbian) x Negative (Windows Mobile) = Positive.

to be fair, nokia has been a fantastic hardware maker la.

I remember many many yrs ago i use nokia phones, super durable, and work the way it should.

(Recent) N8 buyers will be disappointed .

Ryan

Just goes to show how technology can alter the landscape - even someone like Nokia can succumb ... 10 -15 years ago .. Nokia #1

I prefer webOS, which HP has, its more powerful and offers much better features than Android(honeycomb).

You also have to remember HP is light years ahead in touch screen technology, while Apple is struggling with the iPAD screen to get it as clear as the iPHONE.

HP launched their Tablet on Friday.

It is no longer a battle of devices / hardware, it is a battle of ecosystems. iPad is pretty much light years ahead of other pad devices in sales and penetration.

Anyhow Nokia still projecting to sell 150 million symbian phones before they release their WM7 phones. Who is going to buy ?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/nokia-meego-not-dead-still-shipping-this-year/#disqus_thread

Ryan

It is no longer a battle of devices / hardware, it is a battle of ecosystems. iPad is pretty much light years ahead of other pad devices in sales and penetration.

Anyhow Nokia still projecting to sell 150 million symbian phones before they release their WM7 phones. Who is going to buy ?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/nokia-meego-not-dead-still-shipping-this-year/#disqus_thread

Ryan

Maybe iPAD is ahead in sales, but its NOT given people what they want in the terms of browsing, especially websites using flash products.

WebOS has a good eco-system as well. They are predicting that webOS will hurt iPad and Apple have acknowledged this already.

So it will be interesting.

Of all those Tech companies that could built a phone OS..... why the HELL Microsoft :sweat:

because one upon a time, PalmOS dominated the PDA market. then Microsoft came along, BANG, bye bye to PalmOS.

It ruled the market for a while, then came along Apple and Android. It's pretty obvious now MS lose to these 2 competitors.

Will MS give up, no way, the fight will continue.

Last edited:
Microsoft might as well.... their Win7 phones are going nowhere :thumbsd:

Yeah, no real multi tasking, and can't arrange your apps...Among other issues. There's not much talk abt Win7 OS phones, especially compared to iOS and Android.

Yeah, no real multi tasking, and can't arrange your apps...Among other issues. There's not much talk abt Win7 OS phones, especially compared to iOS and Android.

window 7 is an OS that's half a year old. Have u even use android when it was in it's 1.5 or 1.6? Or iOs 1.1 , 2.1? Pek Chek. The early iphone OS dun even have sms functions.
Do you know multitasking is not available on the iphone until version 4? And do you know that multitasking on android slows down the phone (even though they say the OS is smart to close the software when you dun need it? )

Give it time and Win7 will become pretty decent and i think it's pretty decent now actually.
People think it sucks b/c it's different from android or iOS, but if u think it's the same, Win7 will be just a shadow. They deliberately make it different, yet user friendly to appeal to it's own niche.

It's a pretty strategic move that nokia come together with Microsoft. It's romance of the three kingdoms 三 国 顶 利 。。。The battle will be interesting.

I do like to see android on a nokia though. Hahah.

those HTC snap or HTC touch using Window OS, and they really sucks! will it be the same OS to use on Nokia?

i would hate to have a Nokia running in Window mobile OS.

once i set alarm clock for a early morning meeting with my HTC phone and was fooled by it. the alarm didn't ring and discovered that the Phone need to be switched on thru out the night for the alarm feature to work. in the end, HTC phone was dumped...