Nokia Pureview 808 with 41mpix camera

I saw it in Zeit App earlier too :) Impressive indeed.
After I read the whitepaper, it seems to indicate subsampling is used, in another words the averaging technique that I have discussed earlier in another thread. So there again prove this technique works right ? :) Of course Nokia does have quite a fair number of tricks up its sleeves on other features described :)

However the way Nokia put across the sales idea in layman is quite "interesting". Unless I'm mistaken, it means at the largest possible resolution based on the aspect ratio, it means the worse quality you can obtain in terms of SNR based on the quality of the CMOS sensor. I believe this part is mentioned the least. The whitepaper does spend a lot of words on the zoom concept which actually means "Regardless of zooming factor, the whole sensor is always used". It only means how many pixels to eventually make up one(1) output pixel. Meaning instead of upscaling which interpolate, Nokia choose to downscale by using oversampling to enhance the quality of each pixel if you choose not to zoom. The smaller the output image size, the more noise free image you get from the "oversampling" technique; A reverse way of putting it.

Goodbye to distortion ? Of course, how much can you distort from digital zoom! Silent zoom. Nice... I believe the dogs will think otherwise. But it's a feature! Nokia's way to put across, no zoom is silent zoom. Impressive too!

While I must say the Bayer pattern problem removed as a side effect due to the usage of resampling is given, I must say that is no credit to Nokia. It is just a side effect.

I must give the following credit to place in a 41MP sensor into the phone, this is okay, but readers please take note, it means great impact to the quality when you use at 41MP, though I suppose the quality of the CMOS sensor ought to have improved. It's a whopping amount of memory to handle internally, so I'm not so confident how much battery it will consume for even the normal low resolution capture given the whole sensor is always use and the resampling is definitely in action for all takes except in 41MP.

The sample images are all well lit scenes, hence it shouldn't be a problem even at 41MP. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think 41MP is good for low lit scenes. The approach should be using the much lower resolution and let the oversampling technique gives you quality instead of quantity.

Still, looking forward to the product :)

Last edited:
Sounds great knowing Nokia there will be major delays and rebooting of the handphone as not enough memory.

do the consumers really needs it????

The sensor on the Nokia 808 is relative large for a mobile phone. Using full frame DSLR as a reference, it has a crop factor of 3.5x. Think the 41mpix sensor was choosen cos Nokia wanted to have the option of "lossless digital zoom" aka high speed cropping. Think of the Nokia 808 as a 5-8mpix camera (which it's designed for) instead of a 38mpix cam ;)

wonder about the sensor size...
Full Frame? Medium format? Large format? Extra Large format?????
death of the middle-lower compact cameras coming...

But do i want to shoot 10MB JPEG on my phone???

The product:
Nokia 808 PureView lens and sensor specifications
• Carl Zeiss Optics
• Focal length: 8.02mm
• 35mm equivalent focal length: 26mm, 16:9 | 28mm, 4:3
• F-number: f/2.4
• Focus range: 15cm – Infinity (throughout the zoom range)
• Construction:
· 5 elements, 1 group.All lens surfaces are aspherical
· One high-index, low-dispersion glass mould lens
· Mechanical shutter with neutral density filter
• Optical format: 1/1.2”
• Total number of pixels: 7728 x 5368
• Pixel Size: 1.4 microns

It's using a 1/1.2" sensor :)
Think the 5-8mpix files should be max around 2mb in size.

Nah... Doesn't matter... Next iPhone I heard will come with Lytro. Now that's revolutionary!

Nah... Doesn't matter... Next iPhone I heard will come with Lytro. Now that's revolutionary!

When the Galaxy Nexus was announced, I wanted it and decided to wait for it.

Now that it is here, this phone is announced. So now I want this phone, and will wait for it.

By the time this phone is here, the new iPhone will be announced...

At this rate, I will never buy a phone.

Will be interesting to compare their downsampling techniques with those of Photoshop/GIMP etc.

Comparing the sensor size with other camera phones...nice ;) :
nokia-808-pureview-sensor-1-sg-580x424.jpg

NokiaSensor.jpg