Nokia forced to cough up more than $1,000 over faulty phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
EARLIER this month, Ms Tan Geok Hoon marched into Nokia's office, brandishing court documents and threatening to seize the assests of the cell-phone giant.

A bailiff stood at the side of the 43-year-old sales manager, ready to reposess the company's things.

Ms Tan was enforcing a small claims court decision that ordered the world's largest cellphone maker to pay her $778 for a faulty cellphone she bought last year.

The moment, which Ms Tan recalled recently, marked the culmination of a seven- month David-versus-Goliath battle.

The story of one woman's fight against a mighty firm made its rounds in several online forums last week, casting the spotlight on how the world's top phone maker handled unhappy customers.

Things all started in August last year, when Ms Tan bought a Nokia E61i phone from a StarHub store.

Ms Tan said the phone would not power on in the first week, but a Nokia service centre refused to exchange it for a new one.

Frustrated after sending it for repairs several times, she turned to the Small Claims Tribunal in November.

At this point, Nokia tried to settle the matter privately, by offering to exchange Ms Tan's phone with a new one, or to refund her $388. This was the purchase price that came with a two-year StarHub subscription.

She rejected the offer, looking instead for $778 - the full retail price of the phone.

Ms Tan told The Straits Times: 'I didn't claim for more than what the phone cost because I'm not greedy for Nokia phones.'

There were two consultations and one hearing before the small claims tribunal. Nokia missed the last two sessions, claiming the relevant department had not received the notice on time.

As a result, the company was ordered on December 18 last year to pay Ms Tan $778 within 15 days.

But it did not.

:nono::nono: tsk tsk tsk

wonder if the hq knows how their singapore side is clowning around

It's the standard T&C's now, prob due to thin margins. If your phone is faulty, there's no more 1-to-1 exchange, it's straight to servicing.

well, its also because the servicing departments are on contract service, i do believe that nokia does not own its service facilities thus the "bad service", haven't seen anything like this fron nikon...

Standard singaporean behaviour. They tried to hope that the problem would go away, and that the lady will tire of attempting to get her money if they keep ignoring or delaying. But she has to turn up with a court official who can whack them hard hard with a writ of seizure ;)

Thin margins or not, if you can't do a good QC job at the plant, you're shafted.

We're talking about a MNC here. Not a kuching kurap small-timer.

In case any of you do not know, Nokia Care Centre has extremely bad service.

I have been visiting their service centre every two weeks for the past 4 months to get a replacement case, but I have always had nothing but excuses.

Here are some of them.

1. The manager is out having a meeting (when I spoke to the manager)

2. The manager will contact you (which of course he did not)

3. The manager has resigned (when I queried why the manager did not contact me)

4. We have the case in stock, please leave your phone with us and we will get the case replaced within the next 2 days. When I asked to see the case, just to be sure that they had it, they then changed their reasoning and told me "I am sorry, we made a mistake". If I had given them my phone, it would have been 2 days for nothing.

5. We have the case in stock in Singapore, please come back in two weeks time as we are not sure when the cases will be delivered to this location. (This is the truth).

6. I will contact you tomorrow. (Which of course, they never contacted me)

They cannot provide a straight answer, it's either no answers or they say they don't know. I have long goven up any hope of getting the replacment case, but because the service centre is located where I work, I don't find it an inconvenience to visiti them every other week.

In case any of you do not know, Nokia Care Centre has extremely bad service.

I have been visiting their service centre every two weeks for the past 4 months to get a replacement case, but I have always had nothing but excuses.

Here are some of them.

1. The manager is out having a meeting (when I spoke to the manager)

2. The manager will contact you (which of course he did not)

3. The manager has resigned (when I queried why the manager did not contact me)

4. We have the case in stock, please leave your phone with us and we will get the case replaced within the next 2 days. When I asked to see the case, just to be sure that they had it, they then changed their reasoning and told me "I am sorry, we made a mistake". If I had given them my phone, it would have been 2 days for nothing.

5. We have the case in stock in Singapore, please come back in two weeks time as we are not sure when the cases will be delivered to this location. (This is the truth).

6. I will contact you tomorrow. (Which of course, they never contacted me)

They cannot provide a straight answer, it's either no answers or they say they don't know. I have long goven up any hope of getting the replacment case, but because the service centre is located where I work, I don't find it an inconvenience to visiti them every other week.

Most of these happened to me at ishop.. Ended up they refuse to take my call. I called the main number for club21 (higher company) membership card, and demanded they call me back. ishop called me back in 5 minutes.

I have actually had quite good experience with nokia service.. Pretty fast and efficient eh..

The Nokia service centre and Nokia call centre is outsourced.

I hope that this will be a turning point for Nokia service centre here in Singapore.

I've been to Nokia service centre to repair my handphone and the service is sub standard.

You'll see many drama while you wait for your turn for your number to be called.

Many people are angry as there is no one to one exchange for faulty handphones.

Similar incident

This one shook my core belief that business integrity is of absolute importance.

How in the world does one do business without integrity? Do you think you can get away with it forever?

The company is a business entity. However, it has forced its employees to compromise on their own integrity. These will be the same employees that will be telling people not to buy their companies product because they know their service sucks.

why does one link outsourcing with negative problems?

i personally think it is not an excuse - the thing is, nokia should have outsourced properly to a decent company and done proper checks on the service attitude and handling of the after-sale service instead of anyone giving them the convenient excuse of "sorry outsource".

i know of many examples where outsourcing has resulted in a positive outcome, rather than negative. in any case, the onus lies on the main company for careful selection, instead of just caring about the figures that outsourcing will save.

read the same thing about it at hwz.

i'm not sure how firm is the control nokia has over the products apart from the design. it has been claimed in the above thread that many of these nokia phones are manufacture and assembled in china, and customer and technical service is outsourced to axisplus.

well, it just happened that my nokia phone is remarked "made by nokia"... :think: it seems nowadays the country of origin is all erased.... wonder why....

Anyway, if anyone here is interested in how Ms Tan filed a claim with SCT, here's the procedures:
http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/index.aspx

The good news is you don't need a representing lawyer. Just probably a day (or 2) worth of Annual Leave to file all ur papers.
The 'bad' news is, it will cost u like $10 to $20.
The really good news is that, it will make u feel like a lawyer and very powerful holding a court order. :bsmilie:

Anyway, if anyone here is interested in how Ms Tan filed a claim with SCT, here's the procedures:
http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/index.aspx

The good news is you don't need a representing lawyer. Just probably a day (or 2) worth of Annual Leave to file all ur papers.
The 'bad' news is, it will cost u like $10 to $20.
The really good news is that, it will make u feel like a lawyer and very powerful holding a court order. :bsmilie:

Kudos.. Now there are Singaporeans who will not hesitate to take these irresponsible cmpanies to court. That's why big companies are very careful in the US.

Yay, finally someone went ahead with Small Claims :)

So you've got a court order. So you show up at nokia service center. Who's going to pay you even if you stomp down to the nokia service center? Go to nokia Singapore? haha....

score 1 of the advance of consumer rights in sg and not putting up with **** service. I hope this starts an avalance in sg of my compatriots taking back their right to decide with their $ back from the sellers...

It's the standard T&C's now, prob due to thin margins. If your phone is faulty, there's no more 1-to-1 exchange, it's straight to servicing.

you would think they would learn to be more efficient with their manufacturing to cut reduce defects to a minimum so they dun have to waste $ on this bs. o well maybe they aren't 6 sigma rated.
*edit* checked. They AREN'T! haha.

you would think they would learn to be more efficient with their manufacturing to cut reduce defects to a minimum so they dun have to waste $ on this bs. o well maybe they aren't 6 sigma rated.
*edit* checked. They AREN'T! haha.

The most they don't sell their products in SG. SG is a small market.. insignificant. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.