Noisy photo at ISO200?

darkages

Dec 13, 2011
Hi

I have not explored a great deal on capabilities on my EP-3 and therefore this camera still overwhelm my very basic knowledge of photography.

I attempted to take photo before sunrise and after looking at the photos close up on my computer I noticed some really noisy photos when zoomed 1:1 even though i have set at the lowest ISO. Do take a look and I would appreciate your comments if there is something wrong with my camera settings or limitation of other factors.

Photo is taken RAW and convert to JPEG WITHOUT any PP using Olympus View 2.

GLhaVl.jpg

Cropped to the top left corner of MBS, you would see greenish dots.

tu6W0l.jpg

Taken with EP3 Kit lense. Focal length: 14mm, Shutter:10sec, F11, Aperture Priority, ISO:200

Hi

I have not explored a great deal on capabilities on my EP-3 and therefore this camera still overwhelm my very basic knowledge of photography.

I attempted to take photo before sunrise and after looking at the photos close up on my computer I noticed some really noisy photos when zoomed 1:1 even though i have set at the lowest ISO. Do take a look and I would appreciate your comments if there is something wrong with my camera settings or limitation of other factors.

Photo is taken RAW and convert to JPEG WITHOUT any PP using Olympus View 2.

GLhaVl.jpg

Cropped to the top left corner of MBS, you would see greenish dots.

tu6W0l.jpg

Taken with EP3 Kit lense. Focal length: 14mm, Shutter:10sec, F11, Aperture Priority, ISO:200

If I remember correctly (Olympus experts please correct me) I remember there being a lot of reports of the EP-3 being very susceptible to long exposure noise. So that would explain why your 10s exposure is showing the noise. Try a shot at 1s and see if you see the same noise (don't worry about getting the photo exposure bright enough, a dark picture is best for showing if it's really high ISO noise or not). Or, shoot with the lens cap on - 0.5s, 1s, 5s, 10s, 30s.

Hello i posted a thread regarding similar issues on my epl2 very long ago like a year back too. Solution given by fellow oly users is to toggle with your gradation. try setting to low and then try again. i also faced the same noisy issues on shadows and during long exposures on my pen.

If I remember correctly (Olympus experts please correct me) I remember there being a lot of reports of the EP-3 being very susceptible to long exposure noise. So that would explain why your 10s exposure is showing the noise. Try a shot at 1s and see if you see the same noise (don't worry about getting the photo exposure bright enough, a dark picture is best for showing if it's really high ISO noise or not). Or, shoot with the lens cap on - 0.5s, 1s, 5s, 10s, 30s.

Hello i posted a thread regarding similar issues on my epl2 very long ago like a year back too. Solution given by fellow oly users is to toggle with your gradation. try setting to low and then try again. i also faced the same noisy issues on shadows and during long exposures on my pen.

Ex-owner of EP-3, I do agree that the PEN series is susceptible to shadow noise even at low ISO.

The shot is underexposed, noise is going to be present in the shadows always. When you underexpose there are more shadows, so the noise is more apparent.

That said, that looks like more noise than I would get on a APS-C DSLR though.

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations.

I will refer to your previous thread as the issue is very similar and do some test.