Noisy Olympus: Really Bad.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacker

Dec 6, 2005
Cyberspace
I find that Oly has lived up to its name of being very noisy under low light conditions. This is even after I have used Noise Ninja for #1 and #3 and Noiseware for #2. Shots of my brother-in-law's rooftop garden.

In case my current host FotoThing is down...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenlee/sets/72057594056612040

93546672_9b06b666c6_o.jpg

Exposure Time: 2.00
F Number: 4.00
Exposure Program: program normal
Bias: 0/10
Metering Mode: multi-segment
Light Source: 25
Flash: FL-50 with Omnibounce + Lightsphere PJ II Inverted Dome
Focal Length: 8.00

906228071ed70636c45a5feba2159783_43e.jpg

Exposure Time: 1.00
Focal Length: 10.00

d703fc553b1c4e99409f3424d2e112af_8c0.jpg

Exposure Time: 2.00
Focal Length: 11.00

Might help if you mentioned which model...this forum covers all Olympus cameras, probably even film cameras since there's no mention of being an Olympus digital forum!

Mikefellh said:
Might help if you mentioned which model...this forum covers all Olympus cameras, probably even film cameras since there's no mention of being an Olympus digital forum!

As far as my knowledge, stephen is using Olympus E1. Stephen, I am sorry if i am wrong.

Mikefellh said:

Do you use the word "noise" to refer to film camera? :nono:

Unless he already got an E-1. I know he bought an E-500 first.
Noise Ninja... hmmz. how it performs compared with Neat Image.

I think hacker did not used high ISO from his exposure so picture not noisy lah.

He used tripod + low ISO + long shutter + flash. like that sure low noise. But I also agree, at least for E1, the noise performace is not that bad. The noise grain are very fine as easily removed by NR. Worst kind of noise is color BLOTCHES...

Raptor1 said:
Unless he already got an E-1. I know he bought an E-500 first.
Noise Ninja... hmmz. how it performs compared with Neat Image.

Using E-500. NN and NW is very good. Did not try NI as the interface looked a little overkill for a simple person like me.

ok, let me know if i am wrong.

in my profession there are many renderer which produce grainy images. we would normally use neat image.

i have never use both before but as i enquire from some of my related field they recommended neat image.

look, a camera already produce very good image compare to a software renderer. if neat image can be used on an image by a renderer software. it should work better on a image taken by a camera.

Hmm... Noisy? It looks pretty sharp and clear lay!

apex said:
Hmm... Noisy? It looks pretty sharp and clear lay!

When I look at the 100% crop, I can see artifacts in the sky...very different from film. The pictures have already been cleaned by NN and NW.

It looks ok. The photo is sharp.

Hacker said:
When I look at the 100% crop, I can see artifacts in the sky...very different from film. The pictures have already been cleaned by NN and NW.

Stephen, could you pls post the original image, then all can see the noise in the original image.

abhivachan said:
Stephen, could you pls post the original image, then all can see the noise in the original image.

100% crop of #2

055f8cf10d1e03bcbc6e3e8e2d344ac5_ec3.jpg

after seeing your pictures, i am more interested to get the PJII than worry about noise...

Yahloh... noise in the dark areas of digital pictures is normal i think... cannot compare to film. Wanna compare, compare to pictures from other digital cameras.

Hacker said:

I hope we don't confuse JPEG artifacts with sensor noise.

My experience with the E-500 is that there is no discernable noise at all at ISO 100, be it log or short exposure. Looks very very clean to me.

tao said:
My experience with the E-500 is that there is no discernable noise at all at ISO 100, be it log or short exposure. Looks very very clean to me.

How about a higher ISO ? Can you take photo of various ISO night shots and share here ? :sticktong

a million thanks !!

hacker,

From the pic you posted, quite obvious that you didn't turn on in-camera Noise Reduction on. This will invoke dark frame NR which eliminates hot pixel.

Also, underexpose area are usually prone to noise as well.

Sometimes I do like noise like this picture:
http://www.mytikas.org/portal/album_showpage.php?full=&pic_id=90

Status
Not open for further replies.