Noisy neightbour, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2005
I have this neighbour living on top of my flat. Throughout the day I would hear all sort of kids running, heavy object thumping, repetitive knocking, moving of furnitures and etc. I have stayed in no less than half a dozen flat and I haven't seen (or heard) anything like this. I am hearing sounds similar to heavy object dropping on the floor as I am typing now.

I went up and talked to them, be as nice as I could, with smiles and thanks all that. I think the effect lasted about half an hour.

I wonder what can i do here. Hanging a pig head or chaining up their door isn't exactly my thing. Do I call up the town council or the police? I have heard the neighbourhood mediation thingie, would they impose any sort of legally binding measures?

All advices and suggestions will be much appreciated.

My neighbour upstair keep drilling here n there every now and then even after so long liao. Got to endure lor, one day, when I drill or whatever, they complain, I show them a mirror. :bsmilie:

My neighbour upstair keep drilling here n there every now and then even after so long liao. Got to endure lor, one day, when I drill or whatever, they complain, I show them a mirror. :bsmilie:

Very cool :D

My neighbour has formally declared that he is a nasty man.

Earlier on, thing gets really bad, it sounded like there are kids running around and someone trying to push a bed around. So I went up and talk to my neighbour, the simplified version goes something like this:

(I rang the door bell, and a man came in his thirties, looked kinda refined and educated)
me: *smile* Hi, are you the owner of the house
him: *looking suspicious at me* No, why?
me: I actually lived downstair, I've been hearing a lot of thumping from my ceiling, something like kids running, moving furniture and etc. I've actualy brought this up earlier and there isn't seems to be any improvement.
him: It's like that what, kids playing and running around. Are you a Singaporean? HDB flat is like that one.
me: Yes I am, I have lived in no less than half a dozen of HDB flats and none is as bad as this time.
him: If you can not take this, go live in a private house. You can go lodge a complain if you want. *he walks off* (actual words are a lot longer than this, I can't remember exactly everything he said, but the main points are there and definitely sounded harsher than this)
me: Thank you.

I think I tried very best to be a nice person and resolve the issue, he seems preety defensive about it. if any one thinks that should do otherwise, please leave your advice here.

What are the options I have? Since the neighbourhood mediation thingie will not impose action that are binding, it would need the good will of both parties, apparently he doesn't have too much of it.

That is part and parcel of living in HDB.......I have similar experience, almost everynight I will hear robe jumping, bathtub flushing, furniture moving sound in midnight 1 to 2 am....it gets annoyed initially because it was very disturbing especially at that kind of hour....but then I took a step back and think.....perhaps my neighbour is working late kind of person......slowly I get use to it liao......and nowaday I am immune to that kind of sound so it doesn't bother me anymore :thumbsup:

him: It's like that what, kids playing and running around. Are you a Singaporean? HDB flat is like that one.

Get some kids and go to his upstair n make noise, see he can take it or not, haha! Or throw rubbish at his door n then install CCTV at ur house (he mostly think u do it). In the end, you report police, he kenna back, haha! :devil:

Get some kids and go to his upstair n make noise, see he can take it or not, haha! Or throw rubbish at his door n then install CCTV at ur house (he mostly think u do it). In the end, you report police, he kenna back, haha! :devil:

Same idea here,pour paint outside his door then install CCTV at yours.
Then when he come,just whisper to him,"HDB is like that one,if cannot tahan,go live in kelong" :bsmilie:

That is part and parcel of living in HDB.......I have similar experience, almost everynight I will hear robe jumping, bathtub flushing, furniture moving sound in midnight 1 to 2 am....it gets annoyed initially because it was very disturbing especially at that kind of hour....but then I took a step back and think.....perhaps my neighbour is working late kind of person......slowly I get use to it liao......and nowaday I am immune to that kind of sound so it doesn't bother me anymore :thumbsup:

Actually I hope I could get used to it. :)

I can understand if they have to do something that is absolutely necessary like day to day activities, if they can give me a sound reason I really won't mind. I'm not the sort of person who think that we have to draw a clear line between neighbours, we all give and take.

When we were young we were told that we are not supposed to disturb our neighbours like running in the house or bouncing balls and etc. So far I have always thought that this is the Singaporean way of live, as Singaporeans tend to not to like to bother others. Apparently there are different cultures within the same cultures too, and he seems to think it is alright. But even if he thinks it is alright, i still think that he got very defensive.

Same idea here,pour paint outside his door then install CCTV at yours.
Then when he come,just whisper to him,"HDB is like that one,if cannot tahan,go live in kelong" :bsmilie:

That's evil :devil: :sweat:.

Very siong.
You can choose your flat or condo or landed property.
You cannot choose your neighbors.

If you got good neighbors now, be grateful.
Don't anyhow move house.

You next home may be next to a neighbor like:

Mr Everit Rd Chan; or drunken guy who beats his wife; or family that keeps 20 dogs and cats causing a stink or one who blasts hifi all day all night; or gambling family with mahjong sounds all night long and many seedy creepy gamblers coming and going; or a crackpot wayward religious nut with 50 deities and flat/house look like temple with joss paper burning and incantations whole day, your house front door black from the smoke; worse if this is the type with the TANGKEE and black flags & mediums that have spears poked through their tongues.

But if got neighbour like the Bukit Panjang brothel in the New paper today, then convenient, no need to go to Geylang.

to threadstarter: i am having the exact same problem as u. but its not nothing u cant do.

u have a broom or some wooden pole in ur house rite? use it and knock ur ceiling whenever u hear the thumping sound. keep knocking and knocking and knocking as loud as u can.

REpeat this procedure WHENEver they make noise. let them have a taste of their own medicine.

And if they are still not repentent, go and do it in midnite arnd 2-3 am or 4-5am if u are still awake.

Tip: wrap a towel or some rubber thing on the tip of ur pole so that u wont damage ur ceiling.

If they still dun wan to change, go and call the police. yes i called the police last time and trust me they are scared out of their ass. but only thing is, when u call the police, the police must arrive just in time to hear the knocking and irritating sounds..

This happens all the time.... blame it on our not so sound proof HDBs.... and the reason given each time you make a complain is the standard "if you are not happy then go stay landed property"

My neighbour did that to me too.... Till today I find it really takes the cake.

Neighbour complained that after midnight, her floor is warm because I switch on my lights. Asked me why don't sleep at night like everyone else, hinted to me that I should switch off lights at night so that her floor is not warm......... I was like duh...........??? Did not know to laugh or to get upset.

Neighbour complained that after midnight, her floor is warm because I switch on my lights. Asked me why don't sleep at night like everyone else, hinted to me that I should switch off lights at night so that her floor is not warm......... I was like duh...........??? Did not know to laugh or to get upset.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA....................

this must be the joke of the century sia... how can switching on ur room lights make her floor warm?????? hahhahahahahahahaha

and even if the floor is warm, how does it affect her? does she sleep on the floor? a warm floor makes sleeping on it more shiok ! :bsmilie:

Ur neighbour seriously got some mental problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.