noisy negative scans

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrust

Sep 25, 2004
hi all,

i've just gotten my 16Base negative scans from a minilab recently and the scans did not turn out as i would've wanted them to be.

they seem extremely noisy. i'm not too sure if the problem lies with the fujifilm sp-2000 scanner, a fuji frontier 350, or its with my cheap consumer grade film, Fuji Superia X-tra 400.

below is a 100% crop of the 16Base scan with no post processing whatsoever done on my side.

fuji-small.jpg

i highly suspect the noise came from the scanner as i do not think that a film would be that noisy right? it should only be grainy?

please enlighten!

Lab scanners are noramlly only good for up to 8R prints. The optics problably have some trouble handling the film as such a high res. You need to go to a lab that uses a drum scanner to get the most out of film :D

I really don't know what they do, but they can definitely get better quality. They usually have JPEG sharpening turned up quite high. I've never been happy with lab scans, so I used to get low res for web use only.

Superia 400 is quite a good film with fine grain. I've used it quite a lot and it scans much better than this.

When I used to do my own scans with a (cheap) minolta scan dual-2, they were much cleaner than this. NPH was almost grain free.

thanks for the reply. :)

will try sending my negs to kex for scanning again with his imacon scanner. :) thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.