Noisy lens during focusing

shanshanz

Oct 11, 2011
Hi there,
Just want to find out where or how we can get rid of the noise when the lens is trying to focus.

It sounds disturbing.

Get the DA* lens.
Or a manual lens.

I was kinda spoiled by Nikon AFS lenses before that. All that whirring reminds me of early AF lenses. :p

Screwdrive lens are noisy. you have to learn to live with it.
u will appericate the "noise" when u see fellow photographer expenisve USM/SWM/SDM/HSM motor failed infront of you during an event. Not all of them have backup lens.... :confused:

But of course always keep a backup lens with u....
you will be happy to know that screwdrive lens are more mechanically perfect as well. many pentax old F/FA lens over 10yr +++++ still works even now.

Last edited:
Pentax 17-70mm :(

It makes kind of squeaky noise when it tries to focus.

Pentax 17-70 is running on SDM....squeak??? It should be quite slient.
pls send it in to emjay for a check....

I just bought it second hand

u didn't check it on the spot??

As luck would have it, the camera was out of battery.seller did mention about some noise. But when I tried it, was quite loud, not so much the type of sound in the video posted. But a bit more squeaky...

As luck would have it, the camera was out of battery.seller did mention about some noise. But when I tried it, was quite loud, not so much the type of sound in the video posted. But a bit more squeaky...

you can either live with it, or send it in for repair. there is no easy quick-fix.

the unluckiness of it is that if u can't live with the noise, SDM lenses that are out of warranty cost a bomb to repair.

not to indulge in senseless "why didn't u..." type of talk... hindsight's always 20/20. but lenses, whether first or second hand, its always important to test thoroughly before buying.

treat it as a learning experience i guess.

Thanks for the piece of advice.