Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

rty

Staff member
Jan 19, 2002
Singapore
I probably should have posted this at HWZ...

I am using a 4 yr old Soundblaster Live Platinum soundcard. Lately when listening to music, I can hear hissing noise especially when the reverberation effect is turned on.

Anyone know any cure for it? Is it a symptom telling me that the card has reached its end of life?

Originally posted by rty
I probably should have posted this at HWZ...

I am using a 4 yr old Soundblaster Live Platinum soundcard. Lately when listening to music, I can hear hissing noise especially when the reverberation effect is turned on.

Anyone know any cure for it? Is it a symptom telling me that the card has reached its end of life?

Time for you to upgrade to the latest Audigy 2 Platinum. :)

Turning off unused inputs should help to reduce noise. Other than that, dunno what's wrong liao.

Regards
CK

The noise slowly builds up. The longer I play the music, the louder the noise becomes. :(

Ckiang, what's the advantage of Extigy over Audigy? Does Extigy require external source of power?

Originally posted by rty
The noise slowly builds up. The longer I play the music, the louder the noise becomes. :(

Ckiang, what's the advantage of Extigy over Audigy? Does Audigy require external source of power?

Extigy is for people running notebooks and want quality sound, or those who want quality sound without having to open up the PC. It's also an external box you can use as a Dolby Digital decoder for Home Theater purposes.

Audigy/Audigy2 are internal PCI sound cards. They also use a lot less CPU compared to the Extigy which runs off the USB port. The Audigy series does have quite a bit more features than the Extigy (well you can only do so much with 1.5Mbps USB 1.1)

For more info, go to soundblaster.com.

Regards
CK

Roger, thanks ckiang. Will consider Audigy for sure. Meanwhile, I'll hang on first for a couple more weeks (if not months) and pray hard for the noise to disappear. Miracles still happen these days, right?

My Platinum soundcard failed in XP yesterday. Lucky it still works in my 2K partition. Damn. Think its because I ran Automatic Updates which replaced key system files. Now I keep getting a Windows prompt 'Key system files have been replaced by unrecognized versions'. Isin't it ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.