Noise in photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

azieai

Oct 31, 2009
I took pictures during a gig recently and realise the photos produces noise.
In low lighting, indoor area, what are possible ways to minimise noise as much as possible?

What sort of camera are u using?

Obviously u can choose to use as low an ISO as possible..but that would make taking steady shots / freezing motion difficult..

Ideally, shoot with the largest aperture u can afford(within acceptable dof)...and the lowest ISO possible...both which would be limited by your equipment...

Having done that, leave it to post processing by using noise reduction softwares to reduce the noise. That's pretty much all that you can do...

I suggest you read your manual and newbie guides to photography. Noise is the by-product of high ISO. Your camera had to up the ISO in order to still get a sharp picture.

You could either get a larger-aperture lens to allow more light in, or upgrade your body to one that can use higher ISO with less noise.

NoiseNinja.

1. use a flash
2. use a fast lens
3. use a camera with good noise handling
4. use noise reduction during post processing

Okie i believe u were using a 500d..

Not sure what is the acceptable noise level u are looking for...its subjective u see...and also depends how low the light level was at the gig...

What mode were u using by the way..? (i hope it was not auto..?)

Mind sharing what ISO were u shooting at at the gig..?

I took pictures during a gig recently and realise the photos produces noise.
In low lighting, indoor area, what are possible ways to minimise noise as much as possible?

Hi, welcome to CS:) If you need answers to your questions, it'll be best if you could post your photo/s and the relevant camera settings with your questions. That takes the guess work out for those who wish to answer your questions and to help you. This is just like passing a torch without batteries in the dark and asking can you see the exit? ;)

Can try over-exposing by about 1/3 stop

There are various ways to reduce noise in photos.

1. Lower ISO setting (i.e. 800 to 400) then increase you exposure by +0.7 or +1 stop.
2. Lower ISO setting (i.e. 800 to 400), have the same settings (aperture & shutter speed) and use flash to compensate for low-light.
3. Use a fast lens (i.e. f2.8 lens).

Hope this helps. ;)

alternative way is to use software like noiseware pro and noiseninja to reduce the noise. These software give decent to wonderful results

Noticeable.... and Acceptable...

If you accept it that is....

It's your photographs! don't let others make the rules for it :)

I got this reply when I asked about noise in my photos. No more "noisy questions" since.

People always say that Canon cameras has noise advantages over the other cams, so I don't think it's going to be that bad. Perhaps you would like to post a picture to show us and let us know the settings as well.

I was using a 500D canon body.
With 50mm f1.4 lens

I use the Av mode, settings was f1.4 and ISO was 3200.

The link below would be one of the shots taken.

tumblr_ktcgtekp5c1qzz7fto1_1280.jpg

So i should reduce the ISO?

Frankly, I don't mind the noise in your picture. I can accept it, though its kinda OOF. Of course shooting at ISO 3200 is noisy. Some pictures look good with noise but some don't. So its kinda subjective. ;)

Of course there's noise. You shot at ISO 3200.

Ahhhhh okokok. Haha so i learn my mistake. I should reduce the ISO the next time. thank you very much!! :D :D

Really appreciate it :) hehe

Learn to accept the noise :)
That's level of noise is perfectly acceptable to me.

always use the lowest iso? correct me if i am wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.