Noise in night shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutz

Jan 20, 2002
www.gigabizz.com
How do i take a decent night shots without those irritating noise?

Originally posted by nutz
How do i take a decent night shots without those irritating noise?

Noise is always present in long exposure....even in DCs with NR features (just that NR reduces the amt the noise thru s/w in the DC itself).

Try keeping nite shots to max 2 sec if possible to keep noise to a minimal...if can't then gotta do post-processing lor! ;)

Perform a dark frame subtraction if you can. Take a similar exposure (with the same shutter speed) but with the lens cap on. Then use the blank frame, which will have a similar noise structure, to form a subtraction layer in Photoshop to get rid of the noise pattern. Works like a charm.

Noise is caused by heat buildup in the CCD, so that is unaviodable.

What noise are you guys talking about - picture itself has got no sound?

I am a Newbie, pls pardon me for my ignorant.

Thx.

Originally posted by duckling

Thx.

Noise usually occur when you take pictures at night with slow shuttle. Take a pic at night with shuttle lag of more than 2 sec and you probably see some noise.

yup that quite true....but that bring me to think ..why the hell my camera need 16 sec exposure for what !!!...since at more than 2 sec exposure there already so much noise..think the manufacturers better improve on their CCDs!!

Originally posted by duckling

Thx.

The unwanted dots of all colors in a digi-pix that is cause by heat built-up of the CCD, long exposure, or by turning up the ISO.

Originally posted by marlin
yup that quite true....but that bring me to think ..why the hell my camera need 16 sec exposure for what !!!...since at more than 2 sec exposure there already so much noise..think the manufacturers better improve on their CCDs!!

If more than 2 sec, every pic will sure got noise? *concern*

Originally posted by Blitz

If more than 2 sec, every pic will sure got noise? *concern*

Depends lah....when the DC is cool it's negligible but the noise level will creeps up when the DC gets warmer in my experience. :)

Originally posted by Jayan

Depends lah....when the DC is cool it's negligible but the noise level will creeps up when the DC gets warmer in my experience. :)

So maybe we should all take pictures inside Air con environment :D

Originally posted by Blitz

So maybe we should all take pictures inside Air con environment :D

No use one...sometimes the 'heat' is due to the residual charge in the CCD...need some time to dissipitate.

I guess the Olympus DCs are not designed for use in the SEAsia region, esp in a hot and humid country like Spore. Used my C700 in Genting a week ago. Surprisingly, I can use the DC continuously without noise/hot pixels, something which is not possible here. Of coz, the temp at Genting was constantly around 18-19 degrees. :(

Originally posted by azone
I guess the Olympus DCs are not designed for use in the SEAsia region, esp in a hot and humid country like Spore. Used my C700 in Genting a week ago. Surprisingly, I can use the DC continuously without noise/hot pixels, something which is not possible here. Of coz, the temp at Genting was constantly around 18-19 degrees. :(

Shall all the C700uz and C2100uz camera owner all migrate to genting? haha..

Status
Not open for further replies.