noise and megapixels

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtl1987

Oct 28, 2008
Hi all, I remember some people saying the EOS 500D is noisier than the D5000 and D90 due to its higher pixel density. So if i take pictures at say 10 megapixels instead of the max 15, will the noise match the nikons? Real noob at this, hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks!

Nope. The amount of noise will still be the same. It is not the megapixel but rather the smaller size of each photosites.

To add on about this noise thingy. The noise differences among Nikon and Canon APS-C is alway about how much noise reduction algorithm. So if you want to cleaner image, more reduction, lesser detail. Then again, you want to ask yourself, how demanding are you for that speck of detail, like I must see every single veins and skin pores of the portrail taken.

Some brands and model have color noise while others appear grainy. But you would have noticed that non will be that clean.

Hi all, I remember some people saying the EOS 500D is noisier than the D5000 and D90 due to its higher pixel density. So if i take pictures at say 10 megapixels instead of the max 15, will the noise match the nikons? Real noob at this, hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks!

don't base on memory ... u may remember wrongly

buy the eos 500d and d5000 / d90; test them yourself...

keep the one you are happy

you can always sell the other at a loss

IMO, Noise seems to be the new marketing tree to bark up on.
Before that it was no. of megapixels.

IMHO, very little difference between brands. Its more the amount of NR and algorithm used on-camera than actual sensor issues. All brand cameras can take good photos and with proper NR clean up will look "noiseless". Its also a double edged sword between NR and detail retention. Heck! in fact I see so many photos on the web that are good but noisy/grainy that I've come to a realization that its the pictures that make all the difference.

waaa more and more people becoming pixel peepers nowadays...

Whatever happened to just take a "Great Picture", not a "noiseless clean picture".

Back in the film days, "noise" is a lot worse... I've used ISO 3200 film before and it is hella grainy.

... but like what's mentioned in #10, those are "noisy but nice grain"

Some DSLRs can and do produce more "film-like grains (noise)" compared to others.

On the topic of comparison, try looking up here - http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM.

Not easy to tell which is obviously better, and many of us might draw own conclusions but i think ur 500d is a great performer la.

night86mare has provided a nice link for reference.

happy shooting with ur 500d!

ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.