No TV can get fined ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about those that only watch DVDs, need to get TV license too?

I think .sg's law is based on "Total Criminalisation".
Everyone needs to be guilty to a certain degree.
So when u brought in for questioning, they will "overlook" the unpaid parking fines, the MP3s in your harddisk, if u guai guai cooperate with them...

jeffhiew said:
What about those that only watch DVDs, need to get TV license too?

So long you have a TV, you need to subscribe TV license. But come on, if you have a TV, are you sure you won't watch TV? Watch on PC large LCD screen should be ok. :rolleyes:

AReality said:
I think .sg's law is based on "Total Criminalisation".
Everyone needs to be guilty to a certain degree.
So when u brought in for questioning, they will "overlook" the unpaid parking fines, the MP3s in your harddisk, if u guai guai cooperate with them...

That is 'Guilty until proven Innocent'? :bsmilie:

tao said:
So long you have a TV, you need to subscribe TV license. But come on, if you have a TV, are you sure you won't watch TV? Watch on PC large LCD screen should be ok. :rolleyes:

That is 'Guilty until proven Innocent'? :bsmilie:

Good idea leh...get a TV tuner card and declare no TV... :bsmilie:

actually I never watch mediacorp channels leh... must still pay for TV license? Where the money goes to?

Write to PM lah... Too bad, election is over :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

So how many of you here voted to pay and pay???:dunno: Maybe should start a poll here :think:

1 tv 1 license ?

or 1 household 1 license ?

install on car lcd n can watch tv programmes , need to get 1 lic ?

all this money is really alot of money wor.......................................

Chiang said:
1 tv 1 license ?

or 1 household 1 license ?

install on car lcd n can watch tv programmes , need to get 1 lic ?

all this money is really alot of money wor.......................................
1 household 1 license. No matter how much TVs do you have.

AFAIK, car is a must with TV/RADIO license when you got Car's license.

Regards,
Arto.

I think the point is that if u receive bill from garment.. dun ack blur and ignore it.. So if u receive the TV licensing fee bill and u dun wanna pay cos no tv.. write in and tell them.. dun wait and wait till they fine u then try to explain or argue..

Having said that.. i find the idea of needing a tv licensing fee ridiculous.. ;p

nova_nebula said:
Is there an assumption that ALL households are defaulted to have TV so ALL must pay until informed otherwise? Sounds like an Opt-out system. Never like it, never will.
actually it's because the original forum poster had a receiver without license at his/her house.
He/she had twisted the words to make it look like there was no offence done.
This is a quote from the original story,
"for having a 'broadcast television receiver without a valid licence'."

AFAIK you do not need a license to own a TV, but you must get license to own and use a tv receiver.
and if you install a tv receiver without using it, I guess its your fault for not reporting that it is not being used.

Myfz1 said:
Sorry hor not all choose to pay n pay, only 66.6%;)

On another note , what about those living in 1 or 2 room flats who don't have TV, and are not educated to write in and declare they have no TV. Are they being fined? I bet you they are. Way to go MDA , make money from the poor and uneducated.

i beg to differ. dun forget the walk overs. if all wards are contested, maybe only 55%, my optimistic guess.

I think the facts of this story have been misrepresented, and blown out of proportion.

The guy was not "fined for not having a TV". He did not pay his TV licence but did not inform MDA that he had ceased to have a TV. As a result, he received a summons for not paying his TV licence.

At first sight, you might think this is unfair. Why should we have to inform MDA when we cease to own a TV? But come to think of it, this "opt out" system is not uncommon. When you cease to use your broadband or mobile line, are you entitled to stop payment on the grounds that you no longer use the service, without informing the service provider? It's in their Ts & Cs that you will have to continue to pay, whether you use the service or not. Likewise, I suspect the TV Licence contains a similar provision.

Only one licence is required per house. A PC with a TV card which can receive TV programmes falls within the definition of broacasting television receiver and a licence is required. If you do not already have a TV licence, you will need to get one. A separate radio licence is required for vehicles.

There was debate some years back on whether the government should continue to collect radio and tv licences. The amount collected is not insignificant. These monies are used to fund Public Service Broadcast (PSB) programmes such as arts and culture, current affairs, quality dramas, info-educational, sports, children and minority language programmes.

The person who came out this policy is "dumb"......the people (no idea who are the committees anyway) who approved this policy is "dumber"........so we all must succumb to these "Dumb & Dumber" :dunno:

More good years! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
5 more to be exact :)

Artosoft said:
AFAIK, car is a must with TV/RADIO license when you got Car's license.

I never listen to radio, yet I have to pay for the radio license everytime I renew my road-tax. There is no opt-out. For me, this is a "forced donation".
How about those handphones with radio, shall they pay radio license too?

tsdh said:
I never listen to radio, yet I have to pay for the radio license everytime I renew my road-tax. There is no opt-out. For me, this is a "forced donation".
How about those handphones with radio, shall they pay radio license too?
No need. Consider you already pay it with your house TV/Radio License... :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

tao said:
Of course he will get fined... well, if he doesn't have a TV set, he still need to inform MDA so that he doesn't have to pay the TV licensing fee.

hahahahaha, don't you just love the way the govt works? Aren't you guys even angry?

Whilst this is ultimately a small issue, it speaks volumes of how we're run :bigeyes:

tks said:
There was debate some years back on whether the government should continue to collect radio and tv licences. The amount collected is not insignificant. These monies are used to fund Public Service Broadcast (PSB) programmes such as arts and culture, current affairs, quality dramas, info-educational, sports, children and minority language programmes.

Quality dramas? Like which ones? ;-)

I thought our national tv broadcaster is a pure commercial enterprise? ;)

kahheng said:
Quality dramas? Like which ones? ;-)

I thought our national tv broadcaster is a pure commercial enterprise? ;)
'LOST' and 'DESPERATE HOUSEWIVE' maybe ;p .

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.