No TV can get fined ?!


Status
Not open for further replies.

billpepsi

New Member
Jan 2, 2005
1,269
0
0
The 3rd Rock
What about those that only watch DVDs, need to get TV license too?
 

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,464
0
36
VisualJournalist.net
I think .sg's law is based on "Total Criminalisation".
Everyone needs to be guilty to a certain degree.
So when u brought in for questioning, they will "overlook" the unpaid parking fines, the MP3s in your harddisk, if u guai guai cooperate with them...




.
 

tao

Senior Member
Jan 7, 2005
3,790
1
38
Beach Road
jeffhiew said:
What about those that only watch DVDs, need to get TV license too?
So long you have a TV, you need to subscribe TV license. But come on, if you have a TV, are you sure you won't watch TV? Watch on PC large LCD screen should be ok. :rolleyes:

AReality said:
I think .sg's law is based on "Total Criminalisation".
Everyone needs to be guilty to a certain degree.
So when u brought in for questioning, they will "overlook" the unpaid parking fines, the MP3s in your harddisk, if u guai guai cooperate with them...

.
That is 'Guilty until proven Innocent'? :bsmilie:
 

idor

Senior Member
Nov 11, 2004
666
0
0
43
Northern California
tao said:
So long you have a TV, you need to subscribe TV license. But come on, if you have a TV, are you sure you won't watch TV? Watch on PC large LCD screen should be ok. :rolleyes:



That is 'Guilty until proven Innocent'? :bsmilie:
Good idea leh...get a TV tuner card and declare no TV... :bsmilie:
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
actually I never watch mediacorp channels leh... must still pay for TV license? Where the money goes to?
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
Write to PM lah... Too bad, election is over :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.
 

MDZ2

New Member
Feb 23, 2005
306
0
0
Eastern Part
So how many of you here voted to pay and pay???:dunno: Maybe should start a poll here :think:
 

Chiang

Member
Feb 17, 2005
181
0
16
Bedok
1 tv 1 license ?

or 1 household 1 license ?

install on car lcd n can watch tv programmes , need to get 1 lic ?

all this money is really alot of money wor.......................................
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
Chiang said:
1 tv 1 license ?

or 1 household 1 license ?

install on car lcd n can watch tv programmes , need to get 1 lic ?

all this money is really alot of money wor.......................................
1 household 1 license. No matter how much TVs do you have.

AFAIK, car is a must with TV/RADIO license when you got Car's license.

Regards,
Arto.
 

stk

New Member
Jan 29, 2002
527
0
0
AMK, Singapore
Visit site
I think the point is that if u receive bill from garment.. dun ack blur and ignore it.. So if u receive the TV licensing fee bill and u dun wanna pay cos no tv.. write in and tell them.. dun wait and wait till they fine u then try to explain or argue..

Having said that.. i find the idea of needing a tv licensing fee ridiculous.. ;p
 

michhy

New Member
Oct 21, 2005
780
0
0
nova_nebula said:
Is there an assumption that ALL households are defaulted to have TV so ALL must pay until informed otherwise? Sounds like an Opt-out system. Never like it, never will.
actually it's because the original forum poster had a receiver without license at his/her house.
He/she had twisted the words to make it look like there was no offence done.
This is a quote from the original story,
"for having a 'broadcast television receiver without a valid licence'."

AFAIK you do not need a license to own a TV, but you must get license to own and use a tv receiver.
and if you install a tv receiver without using it, I guess its your fault for not reporting that it is not being used.
 

ahbeng

New Member
Jun 9, 2003
412
0
0
Visit site
Myfz1 said:
Sorry hor not all choose to pay n pay, only 66.6%;)

On another note , what about those living in 1 or 2 room flats who don't have TV, and are not educated to write in and declare they have no TV. Are they being fined? I bet you they are. Way to go MDA , make money from the poor and uneducated.
i beg to differ. dun forget the walk overs. if all wards are contested, maybe only 55%, my optimistic guess.
 

tks

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
505
0
0
tohsphotos.fotopic.net
I think the facts of this story have been misrepresented, and blown out of proportion.

The guy was not "fined for not having a TV". He did not pay his TV licence but did not inform MDA that he had ceased to have a TV. As a result, he received a summons for not paying his TV licence.

At first sight, you might think this is unfair. Why should we have to inform MDA when we cease to own a TV? But come to think of it, this "opt out" system is not uncommon. When you cease to use your broadband or mobile line, are you entitled to stop payment on the grounds that you no longer use the service, without informing the service provider? It's in their Ts & Cs that you will have to continue to pay, whether you use the service or not. Likewise, I suspect the TV Licence contains a similar provision.

Only one licence is required per house. A PC with a TV card which can receive TV programmes falls within the definition of broacasting television receiver and a licence is required. If you do not already have a TV licence, you will need to get one. A separate radio licence is required for vehicles.

There was debate some years back on whether the government should continue to collect radio and tv licences. The amount collected is not insignificant. These monies are used to fund Public Service Broadcast (PSB) programmes such as arts and culture, current affairs, quality dramas, info-educational, sports, children and minority language programmes.
 

Big Kahuna

Senior Member
Dec 15, 2004
2,151
2
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
The person who came out this policy is "dumb"......the people (no idea who are the committees anyway) who approved this policy is "dumber"........so we all must succumb to these "Dumb & Dumber" :dunno:
 

icarus

Senior Member
Jan 27, 2002
3,874
0
36
East
More good years! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
5 more to be exact :)
 

tsdh

New Member
Jul 8, 2002
340
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
Artosoft said:
AFAIK, car is a must with TV/RADIO license when you got Car's license.
I never listen to radio, yet I have to pay for the radio license everytime I renew my road-tax. There is no opt-out. For me, this is a "forced donation".
How about those handphones with radio, shall they pay radio license too?
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
tsdh said:
I never listen to radio, yet I have to pay for the radio license everytime I renew my road-tax. There is no opt-out. For me, this is a "forced donation".
How about those handphones with radio, shall they pay radio license too?
No need. Consider you already pay it with your house TV/Radio License... :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
tao said:
Of course he will get fined... well, if he doesn't have a TV set, he still need to inform MDA so that he doesn't have to pay the TV licensing fee.
hahahahaha, don't you just love the way the govt works? Aren't you guys even angry?

Whilst this is ultimately a small issue, it speaks volumes of how we're run :bigeyes:
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
tks said:
There was debate some years back on whether the government should continue to collect radio and tv licences. The amount collected is not insignificant. These monies are used to fund Public Service Broadcast (PSB) programmes such as arts and culture, current affairs, quality dramas, info-educational, sports, children and minority language programmes.
Quality dramas? Like which ones? ;-)

I thought our national tv broadcaster is a pure commercial enterprise? ;)
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
kahheng said:
Quality dramas? Like which ones? ;-)

I thought our national tv broadcaster is a pure commercial enterprise? ;)
'LOST' and 'DESPERATE HOUSEWIVE' maybe ;p .

Regards,
Arto.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.